When to jump off Mirtazapine in a slow taper?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all - I'm guessing that most people who read this will still be on the Mirt, but just in case...

I've been doing a slow 10% taper off Mirt since I started taking it this time last year (the weight thing was never going to be ok for me). I initially tried to come off too quickly thinking it would be fine as I'd only been on it for 2 weeks, but gave myself horrific WD so accepted the slow taper.

I'm now down to 2.55mg or .15ml of the liquid I take. My question is, what dose is reasonable to jump off? The doctors will obviously say something which is way too high, but equally I don't really want to wait another 15 months to drop 0.1ml every time! It feels a bit excessive. I wondered if anyone had any experiences or suggestions?

0 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

I have been tapering from 30 mg since October of 2017, so about 2.5 years at this point. I am down to 0.15 mg and still having bad withdrawals if I make too large of cuts or cut too fast. Any cut larger than 10% of the previous dose every 2 weeks and I usually get sick. DO NOT listen to anyone on here who tells you it is all in your head or that you can just drop from where you are with no problem. If you have been sensitive to drops all along, you need to taper to at least 0.1 mg to even consider dropping to zero. I plan to taper all the way down to 0.0125 mg, which will put my full taper from 30 mg at about 3 years.

I am sick right now from dropping from 0.175 mg to 0.15 mg (14.29%). I already knew this was above my threshold for a percentage drop, but I am trying to be more aggressive to finish this last bit. I have lived this nightmare and discussed this with many others in support groups who have completed the journey. I am giving you sound advice. I know you are eager to be finished, but you are much better off taking it slow. Dropping altogether too soon, suffering needlessly, having to reinstate, and then having to hold for a long period to stabilize again before attempting new drops is not the way you want to go. It will just extend the length of your taper in the long run. Be patient and stay strong.

• Posted

Well I think you were right, because about a day after I posted this I had a relapse. It was nothing to do with the medication - I had a stressful / traumatic event that just triggered everything off again - so I'm now back up to 7.5mg and have lost 6 months of taper in just two days. I'm trying to accept it for what it is and come to terms with the fact I may be on this medication at some dose or other for the rest of my life. You're right on WD - there are people out there who don't suffer with it, I know some of them personally. But from what I can see they are the luck minority. Once I've stabilized again I will continue on my slow taper of 10% and just see where life takes me. Good luck with your end of taper xx

• Posted

Thank you for the well-wishes. Best of luck to you and please continue to go easy on yourself.

• Edited

I am still on a high dose and my problems have been horrendous, i feel if i could only sleep i would feel a bit stronger and less anxious. The doctor is so very unhelpful and doesn't want to acknowledge withdrawal symptoms and says its the anxiety. I feel at my wits end with no sleep night after night, i have tried Phenergan but it seems to make my palpatations worse which the doctor laughed at. Have you ad any of the same side effects of this medication, I wonder if its in my head....?.

• Edited

Linda I empathise with you, it is truly awful. Have you heard about Mirtazapine being more sedating at lower doses, eg at 7.5mg? There is a lot of publication about it out there. My psychiatrist seemed to rubbish it but he didn't say "it's not true" just "I haven't heard of that" (and I wasn't too impressed with him anyway). The jury still seems to be out but what I can tell you in my personal experience was that when I very first started on Mirt I went from 15 to 30mg after about 3 days - I was borderline suicidal from severe insomnia so I was just expecting overnight miracles and desperate for something to work. On 30mg the sleep got even worse - I constantly woke up and it felt like I was in a light / unrestful sleep the whole time. I dropped down to 22.5mg and then back to 15mg and held at that for about a week and pretty much as soon as I got back down to 15mg I started to turn a corner.

Everyone's experience is different but if you haven't already it might be worth having a read about the information out there regarding Mirt being more sedating at a lower dose and seeing what you think. Good luck - it truly is awful x

• Posted

Yes one Dr i saw said this a couple of years ago but every time i went back because my anxiety was so high they raised the dose. now i am on 30 and 37.5 every other night since last wed and was told to continue this for two weeks. i feel like i am going mad and everyday and night is such a struggle.

• Edited

Have you thought about trying something else for the anxiety? For example I am on Mirtazapine (for the sleep) and Escitalopram for the anxiety. Arguably I don't need the Escitalopram because my anxiety is only ever caused by very severe insomnia. But I did find it worked for me. You can only be prescribed both by a psychiatrist I believe - apparently the risk of seratonine syndrome is low as they're different kinds of AD. Might be something worth discussing with a proper psychiatrist who knows the medicine. I have to say that I have read a lot of people having less positive experiences on the higher doses of Mirt than the lower (eg 15 or below). Of course, everyone is different - it's about finding what works for you. One thing to bear in mind is that with every dose change up or down there will be some side effects that take about 2 or 3 weeks in my experiene to subside. So it's hard to make a judgement call before that whether something is positive or negative for you. Hang in there - this WILL get better xx

• Posted

Thank you Gillian for you reply. If i should get refered maybe its something to think about. These health Proffesionals dont like us suggesting things though. xx Are you in the uk ?.

• Posted

im just sticking to nytol ive uped my dose to 50 ive got bad stomach pains is that right Charlie duno whats going on Sandra

• Edited

Stomach pains are not a usual side effect according to the Nytol information, upset stomach (feeling sick) is and the recommendation is to take the medication with food so perhaps a bedtime snack is in order?

I don't suppose you're lactose-intolerant?

Stomach upset/discomfort is a side effect of antihistamines in general so despite what Nytol says in its leaflet it is probably causing your pain.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, i had a lot of tummy troubles when i dropped 30mg Mirtazapine to 15 mg. I had a ct scan which showed a lot of gas, they thought it was a problem with my gall bladder. It was painful, are your bowels moving ok ?.

• Posted

think its my acid since i went to 50 ive took gaviscon still killing me and developed a cough with it Sandra

• Posted

I think you need to talk to the doctor or at least a pharmacist about this.

The cough could be a symptom of acid reflux.

• Edited

yes i think your right charlie idont no which meds are causing it Sandra

• Posted

hi charlie my doctor tried to change me again onto deluxatine but i am staying on sertraline sick of changing ill just have to try and eat more my appetite is poor at the moment she thinks its the sertraline ill try a couple more days with more food im 2 weeks in so hope the food works shes told me to carry on with the nytol so ill see what happens Sandra

• Posted

Try eating little and often e.g. healthy snacks between meals, I know it's a cliché but carrot sticks are good and if you want a treat the wholemeal pitta bread with crunchy peanut butter works for me!

It probably is the side effects causing loss of appetite, it did for me, but it did come back.

• Posted

Charlie do the night sweats stop eventualy im sleeping 5 hrs dose that get better im 3 weeks now do you find Citalopram better carnt remember all this on Citalopram do things improve on sertraline Sandra

• Posted

Each drug has a slightly different side effect profile but the side effects should reduce in time, how long depends on the person but it does sound like things are improving for you.

• Posted

sweats at night 5 hrs sleep still anxious but early days only 3 weeks on them thanks for asking how are you doing Sandra

• Posted

Thanks charlie how long have you got to go now till full afect hope your doing better Sandra

• Posted

Not brilliant, had a telephone consult with the Doctor yesterday as feeling so awful but in speaking to him he wants me to stop the Mitrazapine and start something else. He was dismissive of withdrawal effects and said i would just stop and start something else in a weeks time. I have declined his offer and will struggle on for a bit longer. I don't feel strong enough mentally or phsyicaly at the moment.

i have only just started eating a little but sleeping is still horrendous, my eyes are so sore and bloodshot.

• Posted

hi zcharlie im on 60 for 3 wks doc phoninh this aftrrnoon guns ask if i can increase to a 100 what do you think Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra, if you're now stabilising on 60mg (I thought Sertraline came in steps of 25mg?) and you feel that 100mg would be helpful then you should definitely discuss that with the doctor. Be prepared that increasing dose may bring back some side effects but possibly not as strong as they are at startup.

Can I ask why you feel an increase is needed now?

• Posted

i was on 25 for 1 week then bren on 50 for 2 weeks still feel a bit anxious or will it settle am i jumping up to soon Sanara

• Posted

Going to 75mg rather than jumping to 100mg sounds sensible and you might find you don't need to go higher. Sounds like you've got a supportive doctor at last.

Good luck, hope it helps and well done for taking control 😃

• Posted

Glad to hear your doctor seems to want to help you, why sertlaline just out of interest.

• Posted

Hi Sandra, can i P.M you. Linda

• Posted

Charlie im getting terrible nigjt sweats with sertraline are you geting them with Citalopram dont no wether i can stand thesr for good let me no befor i increase the dose thanks Sandra

• Posted

Nope, I don't get night sweats but they are a reasonably common side effect of SSRIs.

It might be worth asking in the Sertraline forum to see how other people have dealt with them?

• Posted

hi charlie still anxious on 75 night sweats and acid 4 wks now is that normal do you get these on Citalopram what do you think im woried i dont improve thanks Charlie Sandra

• Posted

Charlie which do you prefer best i need to be on the right one i dont no what to do Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra,

With all SSRIs you have to try them for several weeks and the time it takes varies from person to person. Similarly, different SSRIs work better for different people so what works for one person won't necessarily work as well for another.

I think 4 weeks is still pretty early, I didn't settle on Sertraline for about 2 months.

You can get very similar reactions from pretty much all SSRIs so some people get night sweats with Citalopram, I got some hot flashes but no sweating.

Can you give 75mg a bit more time?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.