When were all your surgeries and how are you all getting on?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all healing and doing really well x

I thought it would be interesting to get to know others at similar points in their recovery and hear of their experience so far...also to hear from people who are further along the recovery line and how they feel as each week progresses.

It will give us that are in the early stages some light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully give some support and reassurance to those that need it.

I'll start...I'm 5 days post op today...I had a double bunionectomy with permanent screws inserted. So far the pain has been bearable but when I walk with the gorgeous Jimmy Choo like boots and crutches...I'm barely coping. Keeping the walking to a minimum to say the least!

My next appointment is in 2 wks time and so I'll just be riding the wave until then. I'm dreading having my stitches out already but that's a worry for a different day lol.

How is everyone else?

Much love

Dee

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My op was done 2017 April 

And by late August the heat in my foot was unbearable,so went back around November and he booked me in for 20/2/18,to take screws out, I seen him yesterday and heat is 95% better ( body was rejecting screws)all I have to do is keep big toe excercized and voltaron cream on and all should be good, Dr Slater said he doesn’t need to see my again .Excellent surgeon no pain, no big scares and caring 👍👍

• Posted

Hi Shirley

It seems to have taken an awfully long time to get from unbearable to sorted!

I've got three lots of Mexican in my foot. Fingers crossed I don't get the same problem.

Is the other foot going to need surgery?

• Posted

I’m expecting it but will try other things first not looking forward to screws 🙁

• Posted

Hi Shirley

Your surgeon sounds good but what a long road you've been on.

I have screws in my feet too and I was always apprehensive about it because my body usually rejects foreign objects...but I'm hoping they really settle and can stay put.

Glad you're feeling much better now they're out ?.

Xxx

• Posted

Hi

Don't you just love spell checker! Mexican it should say!

• Posted

Hi all

I had surgery at end of January. I am finally feeling better although my foot is still so swollen. Still wearing an extra sized pair of shoes. Need to do physio for some weeks. Am using an ice pack but seems the best thing to do is to insert the foot in warm water for 2 mins and iced cold water for the next 2 mins ending with the foot in warm water. Hope this will work. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

• Posted

I was told ending in cold water and elevate foot as much as I can hydroid cream& voltaran 

Good luck

• Posted

I had my bunion surgery in Ottawa ON Canada on April 13th . I'm in a cast now until... May 24th. PHOOEY!!! I'm able to walk around on the cast (outside foot  /  heel shuffle).  Not a ton of discomfort but I am having pins and needs on foot since yesterday.  

• Posted

Hi Dee21870

I have had a bunion and straightening of toes on 30th January. I am now wearing a bigger sized shoe as my foot is still swollen and my big toe is still slightly turned upwards. I sometimes get frustrated as will be travelling to Colombia in June and wish to be wearing my shoes and being able to walk well. I but Voltaran and also use hot and cold water 2 to 3 times a day but so far it does not seem too effected.

I am Maltese , a small island in the Mediterranean, and we have very good surgeons here. I have spoken to hi m and he did say that it takes quite a while before the swelling goes. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hello everyone, I had surgery a week today - a fusion on my big tor after a diagnosis of hallux rigidus. The pain has gone but my main problem is trying to balance my other foot as the boot on my operated foot has such a deep sole. It's playing havoc with my back and both hips (one of which has been replaced). Does anyone have any ideas how to compensate for this? As the boot is heel weight bearing it throws all your weight backwards. I have been thinking about buying the same boot for my other foot. Think I'll be stuck in this boot for at least 8 weeks so need to do something and don't want to store up more problems....

• Posted

Hello everyone, I had a fusion on my big toe (hallux rigidus) a week ago and am now thankfully pain free after that bit of trauma! My main problem now is the boot I have to wear which has an incredibly deep (high) sole. It’s causing me lots of back and hip pain (I already gave hip replacement on same side). As it is heel weight bearing it throws my weight backwards and I’m finding it incredibly difficult to find anything to wear on the other foot to compensate for the height difference. Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m currently wearing a trainer with an additional heel raise but it doesn’t feel right. I have been thinking about getting the same boot for my other foot – does anyone have any views on that? Eight weeks of boot wearing and this unbalance could cause more problems for the future. 
    • Posted

Hi flagging

I have no solution. But you have my sympathies.

I had a bunion, instep fusion and two toe realignment. I've been in a cast now for eight weeks. 6 weeks MEN but the past two weeks with a boot. My back, knees and the other foot are causing me terrible pain.

My back I can help with yoga the rest are dreadful. The worst is waking up to go to the bathroom when everything has stiffened up or gone into spasm. Sometimes I consider just staying in bed.

The other issue is my hands and shoulders with crutches and hours knitting and sewing.

All I can say is this foot better be worth it!!!

Someone did suggest I wear a shoe with a heel but I don't have any.

I hope someone does come up with some ideas.

How was surgery on your hip compared to your foot?

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I don't have any heels either. I'm seeing my consultant next week and will ask her advice or if I can speak to the hospital physio who seemed approachable when I met him pre op. As for my hip well it was less painful once I was home but I remember having many sleepless nights with back pain as I had an angled water bed in hospital! Again a physio came to my rescue with solutions such as a pillow in the small of my back. 

• Posted

MORNING

I had a brainwave this morning.

I'm using just one crutch on the good leg side. This is how physio said to do it. I'm walking with a massive tilt on my hips. As we've discussed this is causing bAck pain.

This morning I've lengthened the long part of the crutch to match the height I am on the cast and boot side. The crutch was measured on me in bare feet!!!!

Result so much less tilt and pain.

Well it was a revelation to me.

• Posted

Thanks Kim. I shall certainly try this once I am walking. I'm very grateful to you for sharing this brainwave.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.