When will I be able to stand?

Posted , 7 users are following.

8 weeks since TKR and I cant stand for more than a few minutes (enough to wash a few dishes) without aching in my operated knee. When should I be able to stand properly? I can walk a little way in the house without stick but still use it outside, and I don't really have much pain now, but I can't cook or do anything that involves any standing.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Simple answer: When your leg is strong enough. All the musculature that supports the knee (quads, glutes, core) has all atrophied. You need the muscle rebuild. That alone will take months as it's a slow and gradual but mandatory part of your recovery...

[Post TKR Exercising](https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

When those muscles are weak, all the pressure falls on the new knee, hence the pain. When you shift your weight to avoid it, you will cause pain elsewhere...

Other Pain After a TKR

The only real answer is to do the work to rebuild those muscles.

• Posted

Thanks Chico, your advice is always comprehensive! 👍👍

• Posted

It's different for everyone but that seems to be where I was at that stage dont over due it it could sit you back it will be over a year til your back to some sort of normal it's been 1 year 4 months for me and still have one leg inch and a half bigger than the other

• Posted

hi lynn

i am due to have my tkr in june im dreading it to be fair and having second thoughts

what anasthesia did u have ?? i hope your feeling ok

• Posted

Go for the spinal, quicker recovery than general. You will probably having a tea or coffee shortly after the op and no sickness. You don't feel anything at all during the op, I think most who have had a spinal agree it's the best option.

• Posted

Hi Denise.

Please don't have second thoughts. I have no regrets even though i was worried about having it done, having read about the pain, poor results, etc. I can walk much better already than I did before, despite the stiffness and swelling. I use a stick outside but apart from the stairs I can manage without round the house. I would advise you to do some exercises BEFORE you have the op (Google "My Knee Guide" where there are loads of great exercises to do, with pics), to build up your quads, which really helps in recovery getting full range of movement. I was able to lift my leg onto the bed unaided on the second day, which really impressed the physio! I had an epidural and would recommend it....I had feeling back in my legs after 4 hours and was up walking with a frame the same afternoon. If you're squeamish, put some headphones on during the op so you don't hear the sawing and hammering - it didn't bother me!! Ive not had much bad pain at all, going onto just paracetamol in the third week. Sleeping has been the biggest problem, more discomfort than pain (don't sleep well on my back!), but its getting better. Ive been doing the exercises shown by the physio, icing with a bag of frozen peas regularly, and resting as much as possible. I'm going back to work next week (9 weeks post-op), although I'll be sitting at a desk all day, and I've got back behind the wheel this week, so getting back to normal slowly but surely. I do expect to have swelling and stiffness for a few months yet, but each day i can remind myself what I can now do that I couldn't 8 weeks ago. It has been well worth it. Good luck! 👍👍

• Posted

I have found standing to be one of the hardest parts. At 4 months post-op, I teach a class once a week for 3 hours and I am struggling 20 minutes into it. My students are very kind and help me by passing papers around, etc., but still I really kind of need to be on my feet a lot. I teach in the morning then go home, take a painkiller (pretty much my only use for them any more) and rest for the remainder of the day. Still at PT 3 x/week and do my exercises in between; they say it just takes time. I'm still waiting for that magic day when I've "served my time"!

• Posted

Thanks Judi, at least when I go back to work next week I'll be sitting down most of the time - I've already told them I won't be able to stand much! Each day I remind myself of what I couldn't do 8 weeks ago...😁

• Posted

Absolutely! I went back to work at 6 weeks, although only half days at first. My colleagues were very understanding. Sitting was still hard for me at that point, so I kept a chair in my office that I could put my foot up on, and sometimes I just needed to stand and stretch, even in the middle of a meeting, and everybody understood. One thing I did at home to increase my "sitting" time was to allow myself to play my favorite computer game as much as I wanted as that encouraged me to sit! You'll get there--just be easy on yourself!

• Posted

This is still really early days.

Try doing exercises while you are standing on your leg so it is not still.

Shift weight from one leg to the other etc etc.

Don't give up, it will improve.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.