Where can I have a laser haemorrhoidoplasty?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi. How can I find which U.K. hospitals offer laser haemorrhoidoplasty (LHP)? I have grade 3 or 4 haemorrhoids and this procedure seems to be much preferable to the traditional haemorrhoidectomy. Has anyone had LHP and how did it go?

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you found out about lhp? Though we are not from same country but seems hard to find information on LHP. Please share any information you have. Thanks
    • Posted

No first hand info but will be seeing the consultant who did my HALO procedure tomorrow so will be asking her about LHP, although I'm sure they don't do it at her hospital. 

• Posted

Well, my consultant thinks that no NHS hospitals offer LHP due to the cost of the laser equipment. There might be private hospitals in the U.K. that do LHP but she didn't know of any. Other than suggesting searching on Google, which I've already done, I've drawn a blank. 

• Posted

Did you eventually find somewhere to do the LHP procedure?

• Posted

Hi. No, I endured a traditional haemorrhoidectomy . I am not going to pretend it was not painful (because it certainly was) but it wasn't quite as terrible as I'd imagined. Good luck if you have to undergo the same op.

• Posted

Thanks for replying, Was it the traditional hemorrhoidectomy using ligasure? did you do it through the NHS or privately?

• Posted

Hi again. After five years I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but I was only a day case so presumably had Ligasure. (I had to just google Ligasure as it didn't ring any bells). It was going to be done on the NHS but I ended up paying privately (same hospital, same surgeon) in order to get it done more quickly.

• Posted

I mean more info as in users POV. Not the info you get online from articles.
    • Posted

I have done my LHP. This is day 2 after the procedure. I went to 2 private hospitals and ended up choosing one where the doctor is known a little with doing LHP. Just have my first poop since the procedure and not bad. No pain aside from slight discomfort. Do feel like some hermorrhoid still there but let's wait a few more days and see.

• Posted

Sounds good. I'm glad it all went well for you. Which country are you in?

• Posted

I am in Malaysia. A few of the private hospitals here have LHP. Even some bigger government hospitals have it. Went to the government one and had to wait like 2 months before I can see the doctor. Crazy. So I went to 2 other private hospitals. Since I can claim insurance, it went for it.

One of the doctor said my hemorrhoid is a bit too large for doing laser. Cause the laser will cause swelling for a few days. And because of my hemorrhoid size, the swelling could be very bad. He suggested me to do stapler instead. Whereas the other doctor said either method is fine so I decided with laser.

Do note that stapler would have been a more permanent solution as it will fix the whole circumference of the anus. The laser only fix whatever the doctor targets.

Anyway, I was happy I went with laser. Even first day itself there are only slight discomfort. My butt was patched with some bandage after the surgery. I guess probably due to bloodiness. I can see the bed have a lot of blood stains. A lot of them are black which I am not sure why.

Compared to the rubbeband I did previously, this is heaven and hell. I am resting now with still some minor bleeding as I can see me underpants is stained. Apart from that just slight discomfort down there. I hope this will be the end of my hemorrhoid.

I strongly suggest everyone to go for laser given the choice. If laser is not and option at least go for stapler. Only choose hemorrhoidectomy if you have no other choice.

• Posted

oh yeah..BTW, the medicine that is given to me is pain killer, daflon and stool softener. I guess the pain killer might be the one helping to suppress those pain. Not sure though..cause previously after the rubberband, pain killer does not help at all.
    • Posted

It's a pity for me that Malaysia is so far away. I was hoping you might have been somewhere in Europe. Anyway, much kudos to Malaysia for having hospitals that do LHP. 

• Posted

today is 1 week plus after my surgery. I still felt like something does come out when I BM. According to doc, that is the big pile that I had before and it was the swelling from the laser surgery. He said it takes time for the swell to be smaller. There is another part that I felt itchy and he said it is the smaller one and it is normal.

In conclusion, I asked again if everything is fine. He said that it is and it should heal up nicely soon. My appointment is the next 3 weeks. Continue to take Daflon.

One minor issue I am having now is there are blood discharge coming form my anus. The blood is very little. It is most when I just had BM. So I had to put in some toilet papers into my underpants else my underpants will soil. Hope this bleeding will go away after it is healed.

• Posted

Hi Abubin

I read about your experience on the LHP.  How is it now?  Is it healing properly?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.