Where is the pain coming from

Posted , 14 users are following.

I'm on day 27.  Have been 50/50 weight bearing for the last two weeks with crutches. I've not been fully released into the wild.  Tomorrow I start PT to gain confidence.  I've put weight on it this morning and I'm feeling pain in that joint area.  This is a DUMB question so I apologize but common sense is telling me that the pain would be coming from where they hammered in that new acetabulum and liner as well as there would be pain from where the hip head was sawed off and the new Corin mini-hip was HAMMERED in. Am I right?

Is that going to get better as I put weight on the joint?  I've not taken any pain meds recently so I'm guessing I will need to dope up before PT.  Any suggestions?  I want to swim but am restricted from full immersion until week 6

Good morning from Texas

Swim

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Remember you have had a major operation. The muscles, tendons etc need to heal and they will be tight. So going to PT will be good. Did you have post op exercises to do? I told my surgeon I felt like I could feel the ball and socket, it was just my bodies way of dealing with it. I had awful pain post op. At 4 weeks, I went to PT and was down to one crutch. I was told to get rid of it as soon as possible and she had me walking the corridors without any crutches. It will get better once you can get into a pool even if you are only walking up or down then it will help. Remember we are all going by our experiences and we are all different.  I was lucky I was given a 6 week gym lower limb class by the physio form week 8 and it really helped me. IF in any doubt contact your surgeon. 
    • Posted

Best post so far on this.  This is EXACTLY where I am today.  Day 29 down to one crutch.  Did PT yesterday and asked a lot of questions.  They confirmed this post, all tendon pain related.  Additionally, I need to strengthen the muscles and build them back up.  I'm an anterior approach guy so gluteal flexes while laying on my back cause a lot of pain.  Additionally side laying leg raises to no higher than 1 foot are horrid as well.  Shows where I am weakest and where need the most work.  I am weight bearing as tolerated, WBAT so I'm going to walk down the hall right now to use the restroom.  Ding ding!

• Posted

Hey Swim your doin great . Congrats on movin on to PT . In the healing days ahead and  thru a few bumps in the road it's all up hill from here.  Getting thru to the home run, one day at a time. Take it slow and every day you will see improvement. Bones are growing to secure your new shinny hip. Now that your brain has wrapped it's way around all the adjustments involved with the prothesis,surgery and PT, soon it will all fall into place as the muscles begin to stregthen especially the core muscles (very important part ) regains strength you will eventually get back to swimming and the feeling of beginning to join life again is just around the corner. Successful days ahead . Healing and laughter sent your way! 

• Posted

I don't know you at all hope4cure but I love you!!!!  Thank you for the great words, this whole thing at my age has been a roller coaster of emotion.  Wow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.