which brand of mirtazapine works best

Posted , 17 users are following.

I’ve been on Mirtazapine for about a year, take 45mg. It doesn’t seem to work as well as it first did. I also have epilepsy and take two med for it and had break through seizures recently. I can only afford the generics, the name brands cost $1300/mo. I looked through the web and found people complain about which generic manufactures people complained about and which ones they liked or non of the above compared to the real stuff. I’m going to my Dr. today and ask him to wrote down which generic manufacture I want me to take my prescription refill. Apparently all generics are not the same.

So the question is has anyone experienced or noticed the same thing with Mirtazapine manufactures. I haven’t kept track with which generic I’ve been taking. Currently the manufacture I am using is made by Aurobindo which I found out is made in India. People in the anti-seizure forums complained about India manufactures. I assume each generic also has to be different form other generics and India seems to be at the bottom of the list. Has anyone noticed who makes the generics you take and any difference?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Steve,

i take the generic on the mirt and have never taken the brand name so I can't compare the two. Since being on the generic I notice that I sometimes get a round redish pill and sometimes an oblongish one, and I have never noticed a difference but that's just me. It did kinda make me a little bit angry that my pharm would switch them up so often tho.

i really hope you get this resolved as it could make a difference in your treatment.

• Posted

Hi there.  I dont take Mirtazapine any more, but i do tale Zopiclone for sleeping.  I have noticed recently that chemists are dishing out generic brands as opposed to the original Sanofi brand i have had for many years and which were good.  The generics brands definitely do not work the same as i have recently discovered.  I think that probably goes for the Mirts as well. It all comes down to cost.
  • Edited

Im a chemist. I see these all the time. Generic or name brand ....ITS THE SAME ACTIVE INGREDIENT. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL. CHEMICALLY IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. Buy generic.
    • Posted

Well, how can it be that certain brands induce sleep (Mirtazapine) and others don't?  My first prescription worked wonders but subsequent scripts  were no good for sleep.  Unfortunately I didn't note the brand of the first prescription and have tried one after the other since but none make me sleepy 
    • Posted

Since posting this comment a year ago, I’ve looked up the main difference between generics and brand name meds. on the web. The main difference I found were the time release binders that hold and dispense the active med into the body. Although the patent on a drug runs out and generic makers are allowed make them, the patent on the time release binders never expires. Each generic maker has to develop their own time release binders. So even each generic drug manufacture have to develop time release binders that can’t be copied by another generic maker. Most of the time release binders made by generic manufactures seem to be inferior to the name brand. So one generic drug may release the active drug faster or slower vs another generic vs the brand name med. I also found out, that in the U.S., generic drug manufactures are given a latitude of containing +/- 20% of the active ingredient! Meaning the generic may contain a low of 80% to a high of 120% of the med.

For my seizure drugs, the drug store would not honor the request of ordering the generic manufacture I requested. I found a drug store that carries the generic brand I wanted after doing a lot of research on the web of other people taking different generic anti-seizure meds. I switched ordering my meds to this drug store. I haven’t had any more auras since then.

I live in the U.S. and our government FDA (Food and Drug Agency) started testing the quality of generic made drugs last year due to a high volume of complaints on meds. Generic seizure meds are near the top of the list to be tested. Most Dr’s, mine included, believe that there is no difference of any generic vs the name brand. They don’t take these drugs.

I just got a new prescription refill of mirtazapine, 45 mg. The drug store switched generic makers. In the past, all of the pills were small. These pills are the size of a button. Only taken them for a few days but I’m falling asleep. Just to make sure these button size pills were actually mirtazapine, not a mistake by the pharmacy, I went to google and typed the in the name of the: manufacture (space) mirtazapine (space) 45mg (space) picture. The image and imprinted number showed up and matched. Seem to have a lot of fillers in this generic.

• Posted

Thanks Steve for taking the trouble to come back.  Very interested in what you have said.  Indeed, the doctors don't take the drugs, therefore have no idea when it comes to the variable reactions regarding different brands.  I'm still at a loss as to what to do because I've now had three different brands since my first prescription, none of them induce sleep like the first brand, and as a consequence I'm struggling to rest at night.  Called the doctor and he said he was sorry to hear I was having this problem, and his solution was for me to take sleeping tablets as well!!!   I could kick myself for not keeping the box and making a note of the manufacturer.  Foolishly assumed I would automatically be given the same brand.  
    • Posted

Christine

One more option you can try if you can recognize the picture of the box, you can also try googling mirtazapine (space) number of mg (15, 30, 45) (space) mg (space) package (space) pictures:

Mirtazapine 30(whatever you take) mg package pictures.

Maybe the package will be displayed and jar your memory. Hope that helps

• Posted

Hi have been prescribed matazapine "brand name merk sharp &dohme"for over 15 years,Tues were discontinued some months ago,WITHOUT WARNING OR NOTICE. There for,after all efforts "so much effort had no option but to take alternative brand.At this time I am deeply depressed, and it is great effort,just to write this.So don't believe anyone,whom tells you,the ingreadiance are the same.If this was the case I would be a hhappy human being,and not be hear in desperation.Would love to read comments.

• Posted

Totally agree. I was on Zispin in the U.K - Zispin the U.K's brand version of Mirtazapine.

I had to move to generic mirtazapine because Merck, Sharpe, Dome (the manufacturer) decided to stop producing the medicine in the U.K and it was like taking a completely different medicine.

Here is what I learned:

1. The first few nights were wobbly - I had insomnia and a terrible headache - something I have never experienced before. This does get better - your body is so familiar with how the active ingredient is delivered by the other non-active ingredients , especially when you've been taking a certain brand for a long time.
      2. I spoke to my pharmacist who came up with the old chestnut "it's the same active ingredient!" As if I didn't know this, but am surprised that pharmacists are not more clued up on bioavailability - most countries allow a variance of 80-120%, so if like me, you were taking 45mg of the branded version, you could need a dose range of 36mg to 54mg in a generic version - that's a huge variance, and every time you have a different generic, you have to find out what works for you. The prospect of this alone will make you anxious/depressed!
      3. So I tried a few generics and none worked. Have been trying for a few months and it's very unpleasant.

So what is the solution? There are more than one options. . .

1. You ask your doctor for a private paper prescription and you purchase Remeron (from Canada) or Remergil (Germany) - you'll need to find what the brand name is in different countries, and this will cost about £200 per quarter BUT, be very careful and don't purchase from a pharmacy that isn't reputable. I am not going to get into the dangers of purchasing meds online here as my message will go on forever!
      2. Taper off the branded medication until you have come off them. Tricky, I know! When you've been off a week, start a generic at 15mg, then gradually increase until you get to a dose that works. Remember, you may need a smaller or higher dose compared to the branded version. Make sure you know which generic you have and make sure you ask your pharmacist for the same again.

I hope this helps. Some people will just manage the changes from branded to generic and from generic to another generic easily, but we're all different - that's why different meds behave differently for everyone. If I hear the 'same active ingredient' argument again, I will scream! Bioavailability is real - it's not something I have made up and don't let anyone make you think you're mad when you mention it!

• Posted

You are not a good Chemist then, you should know what's a Quiral molecule. Mirtazapine has 2 enanteomers, so its quiral. You also can find in Wikipédia that the S enanteomer its diferent from R enanteomer even in how it makes you feel, you can also find it on anywhere where they talk about its effects. Im also a Chemist

• Posted

Yes they all have the exact same ingredients .....the difference between the brand and generic comes down to quality control only...which means generics can be a little different ...hence the reduced price...
    • Posted

One med which doesn't matter the brand. I don't know why but with Lithium this does matter. I used to take Priadel and went to a different pharmacist where I was given a new brand. I had to return and ask for Priadel as previous. This is a reason for going to the same pharmacist. They will keep a record of your previous prescrips. If the GP makes a mistake or there is a query they will contact the surgery, or they will discuss it with you to ask you if there is a specific reason for the change.
  • Posted

Hi Steve. I'm on Mirtazapine & to be honest I've not noticed any significant differences between brands. I'm in the UK & have had Mirtazapine made by a variety of companies such as Aurobindo, Accord, Genesis, Milpharm, Noumed. I seem to get a different packet almost every month. None have been vastly different to other brands in terms of their effects on me. So I'd say they work very similarly.

Because they all contain the same active compound - Mirtazapine. If they didn't I would of had withdrawal symptoms by now after being on them for nearly 2 years.

• Posted

I have also been on a few brands here in the UK, started with the best ones, Almus. Then was put on generic brand which was good. Auribindo was on for a couple of years which were okay, but last year was put on Milpharm (subsidery of Auribindo) and had weird experiences, they are terrible manufacturers and are not making any tablets with the same standards as others (Read their google reviews). I have actually had it added to my prescription never to accept Milpharm branded tablets. I am now on Accord which are okay.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.