Which diet/drinks on the days before 12 hour flight to prevent urinary retention on the plane

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am 71, I had two episodes of urinary retention in the past three years, the last one 24 months ago. On both occasions I was taken to A&E to have bladder emptied through catheters. Painful experiences! These were removed after 7 and four days respectively.

I am due to fly long haul in a week, and am terrified of the possibility of urinary retention on the plane.

My question is what should I drink and eat, and what should I avoid (including during the flight) during the next seven days to reduce the risk of urinary retention

on the plane.

I am taking catheters and cream with me but I have

never used these myself.

Thanks for any advice,

Jeremy

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My suggestion is to practice CIC.  I promise, you'll be glad you did.  I just came back from a plane trip to another island.  What I did was do a CIC at home before the plane ride, then when I got to my destination, a few hours later I did a CIC at a friend's home, then the last one at the airport restroom.  Only had to do it two times, instead of not doing a CIC, that would have been the old me, looking for a restroom the entire day.  If I didn't do CIC, I would probably go to the restroom 8 times in a 12 hour day.  If you do the CIC, you can relax, and not even worry about retention.

• Posted

Hi Dennis, your advice is in line with those of the others, thanks. I will try that in my return in August. Meantime I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be no retention during the two long flights!
  • Posted

You should ask for a nurse at your surgery to show you how to self cath.
    • Posted

I did Derek. They don't provide that service any longer - because if cuts!

• Posted

You don't need nurses. Some of them do not even do it right. One of them caused me to bleed badly once. Just watch Youtube videos or even better, ask Jimjames. Hank

• Posted

The self catheters will work if used properly. If you aren't familiar with how to use them, get to a doctor's office and have them show you. JimJames who is on this site is very knowledgeable and helpful if you can round him up. Using a self catheter is not a painful process if you are using the correct one, and using it properly. Get the training, and practice it before you need it. Use a Coloplast Easycath, if you can get it, size 12 or 14. Briefly, Stand, point your penis at the sky, have your hands very clean, clean the tip of your penis with a swab. Try to only touch the end of the Cath that looks like a funnel. Point the notch in the funnel at your abdomen, gently pinch your penis just below the head " glans", which will cause the end to open up, and drop the other end of the lubricated catheter into the end of your penis. SLOWLY push it in until you meet some resistance as it gets to your prostate. Maintain gentle pressure and cough a couple of times. The catheter should pass that obstruction and move on. Shortly, you will meet another obstruction at the base of your bladder. Do the same thing. Gentle pressure and cough. Soon the river will be flowing.

I hope this helps. Get the training, and practice.

Neal

• Posted

That's very comprehensive, very useful advice Neal, thank you very much. I will print, digest, memorise and practice it in my mind befire my flight. I will have a copy in the flight ... just in case I need to implement it (hope that won't be necessary!)

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

While I agree with everyone that it will be useful for  you to learn self catherization (CIC) at some point, not sure the time to do it is just before a plane trip for reasons I gave earlier. I also think based on your history the plane trip will be a low risk event. 

That said, definitely have several packed in your carry on, just in case. 

As to Neal's instructions, they only work for a specific kind of catheter called a "hydrophillic" (your cath may for example require an external lube) and I also don't suggest that particular technique for the first time you cath, especially on a plane that might be a little jumpy!

So, first thing you want to do is identify which catheter you have. Post the name and model of the catheter and let us know and we can walk you through how that catheter works. 

If you have time, you might order (or get samples) of a new catheter that just came to market called the Speedicath FLEX Coude in size FR14. I would also get a couple in size FR16 in case the 14's didn't work. 

The Speedicath FLEX has the advantage, over the one Neal mentioned, in that you can feed it in with your non dominant hand, so no aiming is necessary. It also has a sheath on the outside so less wories about infection. Lastly, you don't have to worry about orienting the tip in any particular way, again just keep feeding it in like a hose. In other words, perfect for the first time on a moving plane! If you end up getting the FLEX, we can give you more help on it.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, the cath is Lofric, the gel, Instillagel. My wife an I will be carrying four sets each in our hand luggage.

Would be very grateful for instructions / additional thoughts.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

As mentioned, Neal's instructions are for a different kind of catheter. What model number and size Lofric do you have?  Also, if possible, try and order some Speedicath FLEX Coude's. I would get at least two sets in size FR12 and two sets in size FR14. Neither requires gel, they have "coude" tips for easier navigation around the prostate, and they feed in pretty easy. Oh, get one extra for a "dry" run at home. You don't have to insert it inside your urethra, but it's a good idea to open one up at home prior and see how they come part, and how the feeding mechanism works, etc. The less surprises at 40,000 feet the better!

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Jeremy,

Sorry about that. I meant get at least two catheters  in size FR14 and two sizes in FR16. You would try the FR14 first, and only use the 16's, if the 14's didn't work. Coloplast is pretty good with free samples, but they require a doctor's rx. You can also purchase online.

Jim

• Posted

Absolutely right Jim, good idea!

Lofting details: Nelaton 40 cm CH10/3.3mm

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

What country did you buy those catheters from? Who recommended that particular size?

It looks like it's FR size 10 which is probably too small a size to work for you. It also has a straight (Nelaton) tip, which could potentially stick into a large prostate.

Again, I would suggest the Coloplast Flex Coude in size 14F and also as backup, in size 16F. If you can't find that, then try getting a Coloplast Speedicath Coude in both 14FR and 16F. If you can't find that, try any Coude catheter in sizes 14 and 16F, preferably hydrophillic coated.

Jim

• Posted

Just confirming that CH=FR, so you have FR10 (CH10) which is too small, unless your urologist recommended that size for a particular reason. In the U.S. and many other countries we use the abbreviation FR insead of CH.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jim, I am in the UK my pharmacist recommended them. Do you think I should get sizes 14 and 16?. Thanks
    • Posted

Yes. I would try 14 first. The 16 would be a back up, if the 14 doesn't make it into the bladder. Also, get it with a Coude (bent) tip.

FYI the problem with size 10 is that it most probably will be too small and flexible meaning it might not pass around the prostate (it could bend and kink) and get into the bladder. There is also a possiblity that there will be leakage from outside the catheter. Like most men, I started with FR14 and then moved to FR12 after I had some practice. I did try a FR10 once but I got leakage around the catheter.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Jeremy,

If I were you, I would actually do the whole process, not just practice it in my mind. Like any other skill, it takes some real practice, and you don't want to be learning this one in a cramped airplane latrine which is bouncing around, with someone banging on the door and your bladder feeling like it's going to burst. Also, please get some further advice from JimJames about this. He is our resident expert.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.