Which diet/drinks on the days before 12 hour flight to prevent urinary retention on the plane

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone

I am 71, I had two episodes of urinary retention in the past three years, the last one 24 months ago. On both occasions I was taken to A&E to have bladder emptied through catheters. Painful experiences! These were removed after 7 and four days respectively.

I am due to fly long haul in a week, and am terrified of the possibility of urinary retention on the plane.

My question is what should I drink and eat, and what should I avoid (including during the flight) during the next seven days to reduce the risk of urinary retention

on the plane.

I am taking catheters and cream with me but I have

never used these myself.

Thanks for any advice,

Jeremy

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Like the other posters I'd recommend you learn to self cath.

I travel a lot and have had to self cath in public restrooms more than I like. I'd recommend you try the new Coloplast Flex Coude either standard or compact they have made travelling for me a breeze. If you have some time before you leave you can get samples from coloplast. If not there are distributors that will sell them to without a Rx. They are kinda expensive if you don't have insurance but most places sell the individual packages for around 4 bucks a piece  and for me spending 20 bucks for the piece of mind is well worth it.

• Posted

Totally agree with what you say, thanks. Also will investigate and purchase the products you mention. I agree the cost would be worth the peace of mind.
  • Posted

I think this may be very difficult Situation for you sorry to hear about it .

I am Suffering from BPH Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Need to Urinate A lot with Several Drops at a Time , And i need to travel Due to my business at least Twice a Month , As soon as i Drink something I will need to Urinate and I can not empty it completely so i need to use the bathroom again and again so i came up with an idea of Taking less fluids During the Journey so What i do is when ever i am thrusty i will Lick a little bit of Ice which i have in a Pack which doesn't Really help my Thrust but it helps me to feel better and i never need to use bathroom when ever i am traveling . Hope this helps i have a small ice storing box which is very portable where you can place several ice cubes and never drink hot or warm water which pushes your bladder and you will feel too much need to urinate . 

• Posted

That's very good advice, David, thank you. I will follow it - alongside other advice I have received on here.

I wish you well with your situation. Fully sympathise.

On a lighter note - I won this Business Class long haul trip at a charity do. What a waste of free flowing champagne the flight will be! I also love my Espressos! But, because of my problem, will enjoy neither...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.