Which foods causing reflux?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am in my 50’s and have somewhat mild reflux. I get a burning in my stomach or feel bloated, usually a hour or two after eating; though sometimes as I eat.

I have been trying to determine if it is caused by specific things that I consume, although it sometimes seems like I get indigestion no matter what I eat. I know certain things do give me indigestion. Sweet things have been bothering me since college: sugar, fruit, honey, artificial sweeteners, etc. I have found that nuts, seeds and milk don’t agree with me either. I suspect fatty foods (olive oil, butter, mayonnaise) and fried food may bother my stomach. In addition, eating a lot of bread or pasta may be a problem.

I have tried a kind of reduction-like diet, but wasn't been able to pin down everything that bothers me. I don’t know if I did the reduction diet as carefully as I might have. Does anyone have any suggestions for figuring out my problem?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There are theories that the stomach of many  people produce less acid when they get older. Natural supplements like Betaine HCL might support. And if they don't work, they also don't do any harm.
    • Posted

I agree with you 100%-  Now, to play is safe and go and see a GI and maybe an Allergist.
  • Posted

We are all differet and react to foods differently. Sounds like you are slowly beginning to discover your particular trigger foods.

Actually very few foods will cause reflux. They are more likely to cause acid hyper-secretion. Reflux is a mechanical process when the lower oesophageal sphincter doesn't close properly. When refux contains acid, we notice it - and it can cause permanent damage which s why it needs to be suppressed.

Work on reducing your reflux.

Read about reflux in the section of the www DownWithAcid org uk book.

• Posted

Hi, all the foods you have listed,definites to causing problems.

I had to cut out many foods in order, to not produce too much reflux symptoms.. Foods like tomatoes and tomato sauce and other sauces etc. Fatty foods such as meats and spicy foods. No cream cakes, biscuits, pastries. Foods made with batter. Sugary foods too, cause excessive acid. No ginger or vinegar, no lemon.White bread and processed foods can cause sypmtoms. Yogurt, chocolate....

• Posted

Smaller intake of any foods that you think are ok to eat, should help. Have you seen a Doctor ?
    • Posted

Yes, I've seen a GI doctor. He couldn't find anything wrong with me. He gave me some medication but it didn't help.
  • Posted

Go to a GI and Allergist.  You could have Gastritis or something else.
    • Posted

I think my GI doctor said I had something like a combination of reflux-gastritus. He said I could be tested for allergies but that the tests are not very effective to determining what foods someone is allergic to.
    • Posted

I have both (mild), and PPI's or H2 blockers don't work on me.  You might be low on acid and not high.  Ask for a PH Bravo.

Yes, these test are 40-70% accurate. The blood test is 40%, and the other is 70%. So the blood test is a waste of time and money.

• Posted

Sounds like you already know a lot of what triggers your reflux also don't drink coffee eat chocolate also pure orange juice and any fried foods and spicy foods could make it worse I eat a lot of fish and chicken with no skin on cooked I foil in oven I can eat rice pudding but you mite not to be able to what one person can eat another cant keep eliminating foods that trigger
  • Posted

I wonder if dense food is a problem. I just ate half a thick chewy bagel and I my stomach was burning and bloated. I also eat some dense coarse bread, Ezekiel Bread. I may be giving me problems.
  • Posted

After just seeing an allergist, I was diagnosed with a few things, almonds, cod fish, soybean, and beef. Before going in for these tests I already knew I had a problem with almonds, but the other allergy foods, Dr said they could just be false positives as that is the case with food allergies. However, he said to stay off from them for two weeks and then add then one by one back into my diet to see if I have any reactions to them. I was hoping that allergies were what my problem was with the GERD/LPR but not so. Now I will start phase two, making appointments to have the normal acid reflux testing done. I would get severely bloated, to the point of my stomach feels like it is in my throat, which it may be, I haven't had the tests done yet. I didn't burp I belched, even on water. Lost about 15 lbs, until I started PPI's, I don't want to be on this medication long term but I am thankful it works for me or I would be a waif.
  • Posted

If your body produces too much acid, it doesn't matter what food your eat, although some will make it worse, your symptoms will occur. 

Best to visit the doctor and get their opinion. They may try a PPI for 8 weeks to see if that resolves the problem. 

I use to be able to generally keep my reflux under control with Gaviscon. After many years it didn't work and I have been on a PPI for 10 years and its changed my life. Reflux can seriously damage your insides and put at risk from the big C so its worth fixing the problem 

• Posted

I tried some kind of medicine. It didn't help. My doctor said the was some other medicine I could try but it's very expensive.

My indigestion isn't horrible, but I am underweight and would like to gain weight. 

• Posted

i had nausea and bloatedness belching for months, chemist remedies and anti nausea prescribed didnt help, also lost appetite with it and weight. l was later diagnosed with bit of gastritus, but found main thing for me is eating small amounts, never to overeat to point of feeling full, but also found intollerance to milk, use alternatives now, dont eat any processed foods, re pied, sos, burgers, tin soups,  ready meals, just small plain diet, chicken fish pots veg rice pasta, and steam or bake everything, nothing fried. l dont know how much is down to diet or down to omprazole but symptoms improved 90percent. Wonder if it was omprazole gastro gave you, its called nexium at chemists, quite expensive, but worth a try if youve not tried it from gastro already, good luck
    • Posted

Thanks. Omprazole sounds familiar. That may have been the stuff I tried. I think I'll try for a second opinion with another doctor.
    • Posted

Nexium is esomeprazole and costs about 10 times as much as omeprazole (Losec / Prilosec).
    • Posted

l wasnt sure, knew it was the nearest to the zole meds, l think in my area its about 5 or 6pound for 5 tablets, quite expensive, thanks for info

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.