Which foods causing reflux?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am in my 50’s and have somewhat mild reflux. I get a burning in my stomach or feel bloated, usually a hour or two after eating; though sometimes as I eat.

I have been trying to determine if it is caused by specific things that I consume, although it sometimes seems like I get indigestion no matter what I eat. I know certain things do give me indigestion. Sweet things have been bothering me since college: sugar, fruit, honey, artificial sweeteners, etc. I have found that nuts, seeds and milk don’t agree with me either. I suspect fatty foods (olive oil, butter, mayonnaise) and fried food may bother my stomach. In addition, eating a lot of bread or pasta may be a problem.

I have tried a kind of reduction-like diet, but wasn't been able to pin down everything that bothers me. I don’t know if I did the reduction diet as carefully as I might have. Does anyone have any suggestions for figuring out my problem?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bloated ,

Ive got Reflux and HH , Ive had a problem with food all my life , as a child and growing up my diet consisted of bland foods , ie bread, cereal, patatoes and meat, I have memories of sitting up most of the night as a child waiting to vomit which I never did , then as I got older and tried different foods my symptoms of nausea etc started getting worse , Ive had endoscopy and found to have Reflux and HH .. What I have found is that no matter what I eat , if I put it in my stomach I will feel bloated ,  tried cutting out foods known to cause problems but with my funny food phobia Ive had since I was a child ( I think its due to self diagnosis of Aspergers ) there wasnt much food left on my list I would actually eat so I scrapped that idea of dieting .

Im waiting appointment now for Fundiplication surgery..

Good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.