Who else has had gallstone pain on left side not right?

Posted , 46 users are following.

I have been back and forth from drs and still no answers I've been in pain now on and off for the last 6-7 months and having really bad attacks of pain mainly in my left side under my rib and in my back and also I am bloating out most days and the last month I have been in pain every single day.. Painkillers don't seem to be touching it.. I'm getting really bad heart burn. A dr thinks it gall stones booked in for a scan but it's not till the end of the month and I'm in pain everyday I don't think I can cope not knowing what it is for that long.

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have pain on both left and right side have low platelets as well as high liver enzymes and gallbladder sludge from a recent ultrasound 
    • Posted

my liver enzymes are high but not due to alcohol so they said it could be something to do with medication I'm taking have a large gallstone plus low platelets I think that gallstones are more important than they say giving rise to all sorts of health issues.

• Posted

I can feel your pain, I was ill and was forever in the doctors, they would make me feel that I was a pain, I swapped surgeries in the end, I spent 7 weeks on and off in bed holding a hot water bottle tightly to my chest! I was told that it would be 4 months before I could have a scan. I ended up I a and e and they give me a scan after my mother stated that something needs to be. Doctors kept telling me I had a pulled muscle or that I had a bad water infection. I had a dull ache in my chest, that would not budge, I couldn't stand in the end and id have pain in both side of my ribs and chronic diahorrea painkillers dont work, I was given tramadol but it spaces you out so you end up so groggy you just want to sleep and nothing else.

People don't understand how much it takes over your life, id have go outside id be thinking, I cant move so how can I? Unless you suffer yourself noone understands, I get infections all the time I do and its horrible, doctors look at me helpless I think people who you are close to as an individual also suffer because your in pain there's nothing they can do. Ive had endless a and e appointments including being taken in by ambulance, they send you home back to go or tell you to take paracetamol. Just keep going back to your doctor, go up a and e and they will have to give you a scan eventually, its hard because noone is interested in you as an individual, doctors certainly are not and its wrong all you want is a normal life but this stops you, eventually you shut people out because they dont understand my friends stopped inviting me placed and would be secretive about it that would annoy me. Your a human going through a hard Time, you dont people being arsy you just need them to listen.

• Posted

I had gallstones pain on the left as well. Hida scan showed that gallbladder was fine and so did CT. It was not until it was removed that the pain went away. No more left upper quadrant pain. Sometimes the doc has to be smarter than the machine.
  • Posted

I’ve also had severe pain on the left side under my bottom rib. I’ve spent the last several months severely fatigued, daily low grade fevers, and in terrible pain. I’ve had this for years and go through flare ups that last for several weeks and only gets better after going on a liquid diet. Three times I ended up in the hospital including 6 days in ICU. A week ago my liver enzymes were high so doctor did an ultrasound. It showed my pancreas duct was dialated but everything else looked fine. I had a hidascan showing a healthy gallbladder. My doctor put me in the hospital and did exploratory surgery. Turns out my gallbladder was in very bad shape and he removed it. I woke up from surgery with zero pain in the left side. It felt amazing. I never had pain in the right side and the hidascan results were normal yet I was close to having a ruptured gallbladder. I hope everyone finds help but don’t rule out the gallbladder just because your pain is on the left side . It’s three days since my surgery and I feel amazing. Sore but am able to function normally. 
    • Posted

Hi, Julie.   I am so happy you have gotten relief.   Did you ever have pain in your back?   I have pain in the left side of my mid back, especially after eating.   I have had every test you can imagine, the HIDA scan, multiple ultrasounds, CT scans of my kidneys and pancreas.   I went to the Mayo Clinic in April and the doctor there suggested possibly functional dyspepsia, put me on amitriptyline, which seems to have helped.   At least I don't have to take pain medication just to eat a meal.   Still, the pain is there, just not as bad.   They looked at my pancreas every which way because of pancreatic cancer in my family, including most recently a special MRI called an MRCP, which included this special injection called Secretin, looks thoroughly at the pancreas and the ducts, and that too came back perfectly normal.   Surprisingly, I have met a lady here in the town where I live whose husband is having similar symptoms, back pain after eating...and they haven't figured out his problem either.   It's just so frustrating, the not knowing.   But it's interesting to me that you had a normal HIDA scan and still your gallbladder was bad.   My doctor has suggested several times that we remove my gallbladder to "see if it helps," and I have declined because the tests were negative.    

• Posted

Yes the pain went to my back and sometimes the middle of my abdomen but never on the right. It was a three year frustrating ordeal. In December of 2017 the hidascan showed it functioning at 45%. Last week it was functioning at 71% so it actually got better. The gallbladder was very infected and I had to receive intravenous antibiotics and now on a 10 day treatment of more antibiotics to get rid of any infection left behind. Multiple CT scans and ultrasounds did not show a problem either. I’m glad it’s gone. I hope you find answers and get better soon.
    • Posted

Thank you again, Julie.  It's a relief to know I'm not the only one with left-sided pain.   If it continues or gets worse, I think I'll just let them take out my gallbladder.   Hopefully, that will fix the problem like it did with you.

• Posted

Hi,

So I had my gallbladder removed 10.02.2021 I had no symptoms of pain on my right side apart from a small ache. All pain was in the middle to the left. I was the same and never suspected gallstones due to having the sharp pains on the left. I had immense abdominal pain and vomiting and 5 days later was having surgery.

Hope you find out soon as anxiety and worry is the worst part of this all. Let me know how you get on.

Dayna.

• Posted

Hi,

So I had my gallbladder removed 10.02.2021 I had no symptoms of pain on my right side apart from a small ache. All pain was in the middle to the left. I was the same and never suspected gallstones due to having the sharp pains on the left. I had immense abdominal pain and vomiting and 5 days later was having surgery.

Hope you find out soon as anxiety and worry is the worst part of this all. Let me know how you get on.

Dayna.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.