Who else has had gallstone pain on left side not right?

Posted , 46 users are following.

I have been back and forth from drs and still no answers I've been in pain now on and off for the last 6-7 months and having really bad attacks of pain mainly in my left side under my rib and in my back and also I am bloating out most days and the last month I have been in pain every single day.. Painkillers don't seem to be touching it.. I'm getting really bad heart burn. A dr thinks it gall stones booked in for a scan but it's not till the end of the month and I'm in pain everyday I don't think I can cope not knowing what it is for that long.

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sounds just like my symptoms..... I've had kidney stones, but don't forget about kidney infections. (had one real bad when I was 28) Stomach ulcer wouldn't hurt where you're hurting as far as I know.

I'm am starting to think that I have Gulbladder issues. But Katrina, you will hurt on side and your back with a kidney infection.

• Posted

hi katrina , 

hope you doing well , did u manage to get any reply from doctor ???

i am having 1.4 cm gallstone , but having occasionally pain in my left side under rib as well . 

• Posted

Turned out great. Having my gallbladder removed was best decision ever. No more referral pain on left side.
  • Posted

Hi ive got a 14mm solitary gallstone. Im getting pain mid abdomen towards my chest middle of back left and right and near both breasts. Has amybody else experienced this as im not sure its coming from my gallbladder. Thanks. Sadie
  • Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 10 weeks ago. No stones, but very low functioning per HIDA scan. I still have constant pain under my right rib cage. I have also recently developed pain under my left rib cage and down my side I am in agony. Has anyone else experienced this? I had an endoscopy prior to surgery and it came back clear.
  • Posted

Hi Katrina ,

On Tuesday August 23 2016 I had my first attack on the left side for gallbladder it was a crippling pain I went to the hospital waited 14 hours in excruiating pain for a doctor to see me he then tells me the ultrasound dept is closed gave me a shot in my arm went home . Went back to the hospital August 24 for the ultrasound waited 8 hours for this to shockingly find out I have multiple gallstones and it can happen at any given time again end result I will have to get gallbladder operation . I am celiac have lots of allergies hypothyroid and I just turned 60 . I don't eat fried food or milk lactose intolerant no gluten or processed food no fatty food so how did this come about . I still am tender from the attack Tuesday its Saturday August 27 2016 and I'm scared to eat anything water and grapes had small mashed potato last night for supper nothing in it scared in Ontario Canada

• Posted

I hope you have had your surgery by now and are feeling better! Just knowing others have also experienced pain on the left side and I'm not crazy has given me lots of relief! 

• Posted

Katrina, you may be having pancreatitis. Have you had your pancreatic enzymes checked?  Also, you can have referred pain pain from the gallbladder. If you are in serious pain, it could be life threatening if a stone blocks the common bile duct. If it's the pancreas, your body can start to digest the pancreas and this is very serious. Pain is a sign to let you know something is wrong.  Get to the ER if it persists and they will get you into a CT or sonogram immediately. 

• Posted

What you are saying is true, because the doc also said pancreatitis to me... as a possibility. But when I was in the er two weeks ago they checked and said its ok. Through bloodwork. That dr tried to tell me it was a bruised rib... lol. Yah, um no.
  • Posted

Just reading your post made me feel better! You described my symptoms exactly! Only difference is my pain started in my upper abdomen, left side, and then this morning is also in my lower right back. Excruciating, woke up and had me in tears for an hour and a half. I've also been having extremely horrible heartburn. Been taking a prescription strength dose and its helped tremendously, with the heartburn. I have an ultrasound, endoscopy and some blood work scheduled but had to wait for insurance. Should be able to get them done real soon now! I hope you feel better, this is miserable! 

Dawn

• Posted

Hi that is helpful to me as well I now have pain in my left rib cage left back shoulder area under my rib cage around my middle no one believes me so I don't talk about it anymore I'm booked for surgery on the 29th November so be interesting if any of these pains vanish - have had ct scans mri scans localized scans follow through xray and another scan before surgery, cant wait Gay. also have colic and when I belch the pain is relieved for about 5 min queer Ah

• Posted

Hi I had a aortic arch replacement 5 years ago major heart open heart surgery it took a long time to recover and become almost pain free but then I got this pain between my shoulder blades and it felt like under and around my left shoulder blade ok when im lying down but it can come on just walking around the supermarket sitting in the car I can garden all day  nothing cook tea and end up in agony if I rest for 10 min it goes away everyone said it was nerve damage but now I find out I have a large galstone I have had sone nasty attacks up all night vomiting cold sweats intense pain around my middle rib cage on left side - I am going to get my gallstone out soon and it will be interesting to see if the back and shoulder pain goes away also no pain killer can touch this back pain it is so intence any thoughts  NZGay
  • Posted

If it continues go straight to A and E and they will give you an ultra sound scan, I was told by the doctors I could of been waiting months for a scan and this is what I had to do in the end. I was having pain on my left hand side, that is why gallstones wasn't considered and it goes by age cause I'm 24 they pushed it to one side. Ive not got far personally with doctors because they go for the easiest diagnosis hoping everything disappears x its the not knowing that makes you worry too, you start thinking all sorts. You are better of going to A and E go there early in the morning, dont back down either hope you sort it soon x I've had the issue where its been go to the GP who sends tells you to go to A and E who says go to out of hours, its a never ending circle 😏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.