Who else has had gallstone pain on left side not right?

Posted , 46 users are following.

I have been back and forth from drs and still no answers I've been in pain now on and off for the last 6-7 months and having really bad attacks of pain mainly in my left side under my rib and in my back and also I am bloating out most days and the last month I have been in pain every single day.. Painkillers don't seem to be touching it.. I'm getting really bad heart burn. A dr thinks it gall stones booked in for a scan but it's not till the end of the month and I'm in pain everyday I don't think I can cope not knowing what it is for that long.

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there katrina you know what, it's so good to hear someone with more or less the same problem as me. I have a large solitary 2cm gallstone and have never experienced bad pain in my right UQ region. My pain starts under my left ribs, then goes to the centre. The pressure and pain builds up to max and then in excruciating pain. My left side pain (only) sometimes feels like a stitch?? I have had an endoscopy all normal. Recently had a bout of bad pain, so went back to docs. He seemed to think that my pain could be coming from my kidneys. Blood was found in my urine and inflammation in my blood. Having CT scan very, very soon. When I have an episode of bad pain I take 2 co-codamols and one codeine 30g. I find it helps if I break the tablets up as it gets to the pain quicker.

i have deferred three operations to remove my gallbladder, and even to this day I feel it's not that causing my pain. However, most of the other docs I have seen have said that pain can be diverted from the affected area. To be honest, once my "waterworks" scan has been done, I think the way forward for me is to have my gallbladder removed. I think I have exhausted all other possibilities. Good luck with your health

• Posted

It's tiring isn't it that's same place as my pain they have told me Ibs but I did have a blockage there and some rectal bleeding so I don't understand how it could be ibs as you don't get bleeding with ibs only Ibd (crohns) ... Let me know how you get on if I get any more answers I'll let you know and perhaps you can ask Dr to test for that .. It's been 2 years now of waiting for answers im hoping I must be getting somewhere by now rolleyes
    • Posted

Hi did you get sorted ? I have a large 2cm gallstone that doesn't really cause me problems , I've recently had s nasty uti ( not kidneys they tested my bloods ) now I have pain around left kidney but a dull ache on left side and sometimes a sharp pain in the middle ?' I'm wondering if it's my gallbladder ? Can't be I fection as bloods came back normal ?? I sleep on that side all the time coz of my gallstone coukd it be that ? Sorry I hane health anxiety and o panic 😭 I did have a sample done and they said protein and blood present but sent away to hospital and came back normal ? Coukd it be wind etc I reLky need my mind putting at rest I know it sounds stupid but it's real to me feeling scared like this , I hate it xx

• Posted

Hi Nicola I'm the same as you.. freak out about everything and anything health related. I'm experiencing discomfort in my left side and if I push or twist it's sickening feeling have you had any results back?

• Posted

Hi Katrina... I am having similar problems on the left side in my upper stomach. I actually get attacks that will last for an hour or more. I went to the ER because it felt like a heart attack. They told me that I have a huge Hiatal Hernia. The secret is.. Don't let your stomach get completely empty, take Prilosac or Nexium.. Stay away from all carbonated beverages and lower stress levels, which produce acid. Hope this helps. 
  • Posted

This sounds familiar, pain always on left side under ribs,  spreads to centre then a bit like full of wind, have been told they think its an ulcer been taking Omeprazole for about 10 weeks but now pain is back again. Going back to doctor next week, had a scan and have gallstones but didn't see any inflammation or blockage so don't think its that, going to ask for endoscopy I think next. It just knaws away all the time gets me down.
  • Posted

Hi guys. I'm in the same boat as you, I was hospitalised with acute pancreatitis and gallstones. Surgeon said my gallbladder needs to be removed as soon as possible but my operation keeps getting cancelled at the last minute. So I'm left in agony. Painkillers don't touch it. I am so fed up. All they say is "present yourself at A&E if it gets too bad. On a pain score of 1 to 10 I live at a 9 every day.
  • Posted

Me too!!! 

I have had digestive issues for years, and am on lots of pain medication from a serious accident 2 years back, but this abdominal thing is killing me.

I've decided that my inner unicorn is trying to escape, horn first, through my abdomen (left of center, slightly under ribs). He seems to try to make a break for it a few times a week, but luckily gets tired of thrashing around after only fifteen minutes.

Dr suspects gall bladder, which fits the symptoms, but not my schedule!!

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed via open surgery in an emergency in July. It had turned gangrenous. Scan had only shown minor gallstones and no inflammation. That scan was only weeks before this happened. They told me I was about 2 hours from death as all of my major organs had begun to fail. I now have very bad pain when I breath in as my liver is getting stuck (as the surgeon puts it) on my ribs. He said he could go in and release it however I would be more tender due to him messing around in there. I have a 12 inch scar across my right side. 

About two weeks ago I began to get the exact same pain as the gallbladder on my right side in exactly the same place. I also have RA and Fibro so I have underlying issues but surely this pain cannot feel the same way. But it does. It's not IBS as I have had that supposedly for 15 years and it's never presented this way before or anything like it. It's also not an ulcer as I've felt that pain too. I am seeing my Rheumatologist next week as she is far better than my gp and hopefully she may have an idea.

Anyone with gallbladder pain, get it seen to as you can go downhill very quickly as I did.

• Posted

I have a lot of the same health conditons as you. I was in the emergency room yesterday. I vomited some blood and could not stop. I have been having pain in my left side under my ribs. The doctor did several test and even a CT Scan with contrast. It showed I have peptic ulcers and gallstones. I was told also I have a pool of blood in my stomach. I am remembering now that I was having severe pain on my right side months ago and still have it now some, but my left side hurt was now. I also had bloody diarria about three months ago and  it was only for a couple of days. I wonder if I should be more worried by what you are saying. I have had ulcers off and on for years. I have several other underlying conditions too. I have Post Laminectomy Syndrome. I also have thoracic changes visible on xrays. I actually have to many to post right now. I was hurt in a violent act in 2005. I have cervical, thoracic, and lumbar conditions. I also have sinus arrythmia and like I said to many to name.. I would appreciate any advice on this subject. 
    • Posted

Hi julie, my wife has very close if not the exact same issues going on with her now. We are approx. 11 months into this and finally had a edg done on her. I am severly worried that her organs might fail as yours did. Julie i cant express enough to you how worried i am about my sole mate she is 30 years old with a husband and 5 year old boy who both despratly need her around. Please please let me know what happened or what actions we can take in order to catch this whatever it might be causing the pain in her left side under her ribs before it causes failure to any organs. We have despratly been searching for answeres and just like everyone else onnthis fourm, have been what we feel as pushed to the side and or docs blamming the galbladder. She had a CT done and her galbladder is as the doc quoted "very very full of stones" and also diagnosed her with gastritis after the EDG... She was finally perscribed tremadol which absolutly doesnt touch the pain she is having. Also the doctor told her that he wasnt going to do anything about the "very very full" gallbladder and is going to let it run its course or until absolutly necessary to remove.... The nurse in this doctors office and not making this up told my wife to her face that if the tremadol doesnt help the pain then " we are really gonna have to find out what is wrong with you" I just feel that none of these doctors know whats wrong or what to do. If you have any suggestions or information that could possibly help us i am begging you please share it with us. I am in fear of losing my queen and one and only sole mate i have. If you would like my personal email address or even phone number i would be happy to talk in private. Thank you for your time we will be waiting onnthe edge of our seat to hear from you.

Best regards,

A very concerned and scared husband of a beautiful woman

• Posted

Shawnbro I recently had my gallbladder remover due to sharp pain on my left hand side that kept traveling to my back. The pain landed me at the emergency room plenty of times with the story on indigestion. Finally on the 2qst I visited a different emergency room which found gallstones and and internal infection that showed on my blood count. The surgery was a success and I have not experience that pain again. If it helps they had to do several sonogram as well as blood tests to find the infection.
    • Posted

Hi mate,

I fix these problems naturally all the time quickly and pain free.

Message me privately.

Cheers

Dave

• Posted

Hi, Dave,

Saw your post about dealing with these issues naturally.  Would you be willing to share the info with me?  Thanks so much.

Lorna

• Posted

hello Dave can you tell me how to fix this problem naturally i know this post is been 3 years but i am having issues now thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.