Who has succeeded in using natural methods to reduce BP?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 57 yo female, trim and fit.  I've always had low-ish bp, even in the last months of my pregnancies (I have four kids and three of them were born after I turned 40).  I do not struggle with weight.  I'm very active.  I eat a healthful diet which includes meat but not much of it.  I was shocked to learn recently that my BP is high.  I now take my BP 4-5 times a day and most of the readings are high -- 140/85 ish.   If I meditate for several minutes, I can get it down to 125/80 but who can live life in a meditative state??

I have never been on regular medication for anything - never in my life.  No allergies.  No conditions.  No diseases or disease processes......until now with this high BP.  An occasional ibuprofren is it.   I am loathe to go on meds and have been researching herbs and different food choices, which lay claim to a reduced BP.  Has anyone on this forum successfully affected a reduced BP, which remained reduced, using natural methods?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Peace

Ro

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your situation descibes mine as well. Although I am a 51 year old male. I never smoked or drank and am fit and don't take any meds for anything. I am a bit frustrated that my BP is high. I am now just starting to pay more attention to my salt intake. When you start reading labels you will see everything you buy from the store accept fresh produce has salt...and lots of it. I will keep you posted on if a lower sodium diet helps... Ed (from the USA)

• Posted

In my case it doesn't. I stopped using salt and sugar at home in 1983 and seldom eat processed foods. At that time my BP was normal but in 2000 it was found to be 210/110. After fifteen years of tests and no reason found and treatment with ten different medications it can still reach such heights in the morning but dramatically fall as the day goes on. 
    • Posted

I wonder if it's a hereditary thing. Maybe something that can't be fixed...I'm not giving up just yet. Maybe more cardio??? Sugar is my weakness I was thinking of cutting that too but from what you are saying probably won't help...
    • Posted

Sugar is a killer in many ways and and regarded as worse than salt.

In my case there is not a family history of hypertension.

• Posted

Hi Rose

Two years ago my BP was 160/90! The GP gave me a month to try to reduce it naturally. In a month it reduced to 140/70. I followed the celery, beetroot diet and cider vinegar diet. I ate healthily as well but included 4 ozs of celery in my diet every day during that time. Sometimes raw, sometimes steamed as a vegetable. Beetroot juice from the health shop or make your own is good, or eat cooked beetroot. I think it's two tablespoons of cider vinegar a day. You can mix it with honey to sweeten and warm water as a drink. You can look it up on the internet. When eating this amount of celery you need to reduce your salt intake in other ways as celery is high in natural sodium. My BP was 125/67 last week. I have changed my lifestyle completely now. Moved away from the city into the country and haven't worked for six months. I know that before I was eating too many salt filled convenience foods for quickness as I was working long hours, even bought desserts contain surprising amounts of salt. I'm 61yrs, am not overweight and very healthy. I still eat plenty of celery and avoid added salt. Too much beetroot can upset the stomach so I've cut back on this. I drink the cider vinegar two or three times a week now.  Try to spend time listening to  relaxing classical music such as Baroque. Your heart will slow down to the tempo of the music.

Best wishes

Eileen D UK 

• Posted

I have a Vitamix blender which is great for making smoothies. I think I will make one using beets, celery and  vinegar as well as some fruit and see how it works. Thanks for the tip.

Ed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.