who is taking valdoxan ??? please

Posted , 79 users are following.

I'm taking venlafaxine feel very ill on it I suffer Gad and deppresion I would like to try valdoxan will my gp change it ? I have awful side effects on venlafaxine had enough please any information on valdoxan would be massively appreciated thank you

3 likes, 234 replies

234 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I really hope you can find some strength Louise. Meditation.. Valarian Root to sleep.. read lots of books - 'Feeling Good' David D Burns. Dont know in the UK but here in Australia there is Lifeline - free support line to call if you need to talk. Ive also lost a relationship, a career, and many many friendships since being sick - the support from Lifeline, my GP, my psychologist, and people I met in Hospital and CBT group has been a blessing, and sometimes I am greatful for getting sick for these experiences.

Why is it you want to try the Valdoxan so much? My doctor and pharmacist have told me lots of people are having great results - but i am skeptical. I guess in an emergency its great for stablising Anxiety and sleep. But only if you dont mind walking around like a zombie all day - may as well be dosed up on Valium or Ativan.

• Posted

Hi Louise.

I have been on Venlafaxine for about a year and am up to 300 a day. It has been the only antidepressant to help me.

I was on it it when I was 16 but had really bad experiences at that time- nausea, sweating, heart rate and fainting.

If you are younger than I do not think venlafaxine is a good choice.

I recently started last week on Valdoxan (25) as I am tapering off quetiapine (at 50 currently down from 400 over 2 yrs).

I have found it a wonder drug- almost instant positives with my sleep, also reduced my restless leg syndrome, increase in libido at night time (venlafaxine has really disrupted libido), further has reduced my anxiety and depression to a good manageable level.

I have noticed a few things-

- little to no appetite until late afternoon

- need more sleep (aat least 9hrs, wake me up any earlier and I am out of it)

- increased energy to the point of irritation

- setting future doc appointment for liver enzyme tests (for 2-3 week time periods)

NOTE: my partner used valdoxan for a month but had to stop as his liver enzymes were out of control.

- one of my diagnoses is bipolar type 2 and have noticed that at times my thoughts speed up during the day and/or wander similar to my manic thought patterns

I have to wait another 3 weeks before seeing psychiatrist again in which time I will monitor the above side effects.

My partner has definitely noticed a positive difference in my demeanor.

I am quite happy with the results so far but am a bit peeved at the high cost of the med.

Another positive has been the reduction in my need to use valium during the day which I am thankful for

As a summary: I would definitely give it a go as it seems to have worked for me. On venlafaxine- if you are young (<21) i do not think it is beneficial.

also keep a not on your manic warning signs (iif bipolar).

also last point: get your liver checked prior to starting and every 2-3 weeks after starting. i would say that this point needs to be stressed by professional prior to prescribing.

also because it is processed by the liver you will need to reduce alcohol or even quit drinking altogether.

i hope this helps and wouldn't mind hearing from you about an update!

i="" do="" not="" think="" it="" is="" beneficial.="" also="" keep="" a="" not="" on="" your="" manic="" warning="" signs="" (iif="" bipolar).="" also="" last="" point:="" get="" your="" liver="" checked="" prior="" to="" starting="" and="" every="" 2-3="" weeks="" after="" starting.="" i="" would="" say="" that="" this="" point="" needs="" to="" be="" stressed="" by="" professional="" prior="" to="" prescribing.="" also="" because="" it="" is="" processed="" by="" the="" liver="" you="" will="" need="" to="" reduce="" alcohol="" or="" even="" quit="" drinking="" altogether.="" i="" hope="" this="" helps="" and="" wouldn't="" mind="" hearing="" from="" you="" about="" an="" update!="">

also keep a not on your manic warning signs (iif bipolar).

also last point: get your liver checked prior to starting and every 2-3 weeks after starting. i would say that this point needs to be stressed by professional prior to prescribing.

also because it is processed by the liver you will need to reduce alcohol or even quit drinking altogether.

i hope this helps and wouldn't mind hearing from you about an update!

>

• Edited

I just saw your last update:

I live in Australia so Valdoxan seems to be readily prescribed.

I have built up a good relationship with my current psych over the last 3yrs shopping around for 10yrs. he has come to acknowledge that I am an intelligent woman and that prescription of new drugs is a two way street- if I don't like it or am unsure I tell him and ask him for a different course of action.

I cannot stress this enough- although depression is debilitating and you are constantly looking for help, with a doctor you need to speak up even if it means they might frown and argue - you are number one and they should be catering a solution that you are happy with.

I liken my first experiences with the "guinea pig" scenario. I was so lost and in need of an intervention that I believe I was subject to med experimentation by my then doctors (for example my prescribed venlafaxine at the time was not to be used people under the age of 18).

I ended up ceasing the relationship with about 5 doctors because of their approach. And spent 4 years battling on my own with stinits in hospitals along the way.

In the end I was fed up and began with a psychologist (ive been with for 4yrs now) who I used as a stepping stone to get with a well known and highly regarded psychiatrist.

My psychologist helped me work out a plan of attack and has stood by me since, even liaising with doc when I suffered from seasonal depression periods.

My main point is: this is about you, you are the centre of the universe when it comes to your mental health treatment. If your doc ain't listening, ask them for a referral to another doc, if he/she kicks up a fuss tell them straight out "you are not listening or helping me".

In terms of the valdoxan state your case- it has seemingly no side effects, its quick acting and its not addictive. There are reportedly no withdrawal effects (from my research) so why can you not give it a try? if you are currently still seeing valdoxan as your best option then stress it.

I reiterate this is about you and mental health issues are a serious disability that call for some serious plans of action.

There are 4 reasons I can see for your doc not prescribing it to you:

1. You have a liver problem and/or a serious drinking problem

2. You are or have been diagnosed with bipolar (vvaldoxan may cause onset of a manic episode)

3. You are under 18 (vvaldoxan has not been tested on people under 18).

And finally (tthe one I hate):

Your doc is unable to get a commission or is not party to benefits from prescribing valdoxan.

My own doc recieves commissions on prescribing valdoxan to patients, that irked me but from the positives I have had so far I have come to accept it.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed a link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Edited

Hi Pauline thankyou for getting back to me 😊

When I asked my doctor about valdoxan he had never heard of it I told all the good points I read beforehand I wanted to go knowing what I was talking about he said he would try and help me get it then the next time I went he prescribed me mirtazipine which I will try because it sounds like it could help me and the added bonus of a sleep aid too .

My chemist said the doctors would only prescribe valdoxan if you have tried every other medication and you have good liver function .

Well I'm going to try it the venlafaxine had made me ill for over two years and killed my sex drive too 😖 along with still having severe depression and anxiety I am 38 by the way 💐

• Posted

Hi Pauline - your info is deep and most informative - thank you for sharing. Have just started Apo escitalopram and although feeling great in most areas - libido vanished and cant live this way. Not fair to me or my patient and loving husband. 

Going to ask about valdoxan and see what my GP has to say.

In my recent research also read of a drug called Agomelatine and wonder if anyone knows of this or has tried this medication?

Also in Australia.

Kindly,

Loui

• Edited

Hi all, I've got some great feedback on valdoxan. I'm 23 from Australia and have been taking it for about 6 months now for severe anxiety and mild depression and it has worked amazingly for me. Was previously on a bunch of SSRI's (Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft) but they all left me foggy and the sexual side effects were a killer. Now onto valdoxan and although it's not covered by the PBS and is quite expensive, its worth it. My thoughts are much more positive and and I'm generally much happier with day to day stuff. It even helps with my ADHD which is godsend for university study. I sleep like a BABY every night if I take it before bed. It's easy to start valdoxan and there's NO side effects and libido is great. It's becoming more common here in Aus and I've heard other good feedback from my chemist and doctor so it seems to be really promising over SSRI's. Overall I'm soo glad I persisted and pushed through to find the right drug for me.
    • Posted

Kim..my story is much the same as yours..i am very happy with valdoxan. .evrn though it is pricy.....no price for Prace of mind.
    • Posted

I got givin my first 3 boxes from my gp he said trial it then come back I'm just curious ppl say it's real expensive would it still be on concession as a few of my meds are pricey that's y I use concession can't work or centerlink said they will take it then I won't be able to afford my medications
    • Posted

Around $75 per month for 25mg (in Western Australia)

No health care card discount unfortunately

But there's a private health insurance rebate up to around $35

• Posted

Hi Kim

Did you have any increase in symptoms when first taking Valdoxan. I have now been taking it for 2 weeks now and finding no results as yet. How long did it take for you to notice an improvement in you symptoms

• Posted

Hello Kim

I think I messaged you yesterday but not sure that it came though. I am in the same boat as you and would really like your advice please. Do you take any medication for your ADHD as well.

• Posted

i read your post here from 7 months ago ,are still on valdoxan and hows it going ,ive just completed 8 weeks nothing happening at all other than have lost the ability to sleep .
    • Posted

thankyou for sharing, how long did it take for you to feel 'better' was it the full 6 months?

• Posted

Hi louise. I live in the UK and was prescribed agomelatine. It was prescribed by a psychiatrist who I saw privately although I received it through the nhs. He wrote to my gp clearly explaining his reasons why I should be prescribed it.

I didn't have any unpleasant side effects with it. What I would say though is I took venlafaxine when I was very ill and despite it's side effects it really did lift my depression. I don't think agomelatine had quite the same strength -if that's the right word- but using it as I was improving seemed to work well. I didn't have any difficulties withdrawing from it either.

• Posted

I am not sure if my dr will prescribe agomelatine but i would like to see if it will help my anxiety and depression as thr ssris have all given me awful side effects, my main problem with these meds is the gastric disturbance.

did you come off it after very long and if so why did you discontinue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.