whooshing in ear is driving me crazy!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I have had whooshing in my ear also known as pulsatile tittinus (not sure on spelling). I went to the doctor about 10 days ago. I read online that it is usually caused by a blood flow problem. My doctor listened to my arteries in my neck and said everything sounds good. My blood pressure has been good as well. I am on a low dose BP med. Anyway I have freaked myself out thinking i have an aneurism or some other awful brain problem! I have to put on white noise at night because if gets loud when I lay down some nights and other nights its completely gone. Has anyone at all experienced this?? If so did you find out the cause?? Im 55 and 2 years post meno. Thankyou in advance.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes i experienced that too on & off. When it first started i almost freaked out. i am 53, 1 year into menopause. Menopause is so powerful that it is capable to turn our body upside down.

• Posted

thanks for the reply! it all started when i had a bad influenza. its always a new something. lol

• Posted

yes I have this also. I was diagnosed about 25 years ago and I'm not 47. Some nights ans days it can be so loud. The ENT said mine was from PTSD after a traumatic incident and it has never gone away and has actually worsened with peri menopause. Please don't stress unfortunately it is something we have to learn to live with but I do really feel for you as it can cause anxiety also

• Posted

oh wow thats a long time! have you found anything that helps?

• Posted

Yep, mine started about 6 yrs ago and never let's up. I've got almost complete loss of hearing in my left ear except the whooshing and ringing. ENT says my ear drum is perfect, he did an MRI to check the bones, everything checked out. He has no answers, so I just learned to ignore it. But it started when peri started so I chalk it up to hormones 🤷‍♀️

• Posted

oh no! does it keep you awake at night? i put on white noise to sleep.

• Posted

I've always slept with a fan and TV on, I have to have noise to sleep and I have insomnia so I don't sleep much anyway. I used to stuff cotton in that ear and for some reason helped until I got used to it. Some days it louder than others, especially if my sinuses are acting up. It's definitely frustrating!

• Posted

Hi everyone, I have the same problem. I also have pulsatile tittinus which appeared about a year ago. Another in a long line of peri symptoms. My GP sent me for a specific MRI to look for tumors that might have caused it. None were found and no alternate medical treatment was offered other than specific therapies for ear issues. Can't help but feel there should be more investigation. Mine comes and goes. Does that happen to anyone.

• Posted

mine comes and goes too. a lot of information on line says that it is a blood flow problem somewhere. my doctor listened to my arteries and veins in my neck and said she does not hear anything.

• Edited

Yes i also have the same problem . It started in January after I turned 50 where I was starting to experience all these weird things happening to my body. The constant pulsation/buzzing/pressure in my ear made it very difficult to sleep and very anxiety producing . Initially my Ent stated that it was from a Eustachian Tube dysfunction that usually goes away on its own in a couple months .It is now going on 4 months . The cause of the Eustachian tube dysfunction could be from allergies/viral infection/recent air travel . I constantly had to pinch my nose,close my mouth and bear down to get some relief from the pressure build up in the ears(valsalva maneuver) . I later did MRI of head and Ct of the temporal bone and all negative . I am unable to follow up with my Ent because if the covid pandemic . The pulsation has gotten a bit better but the buzzing is constant . Sometimes i think stress makes it a bit more pronounced. I have researched and this Tinnitis is very difficult to treat. As people mentioned they have used white noise as a means of coping . I mentioned my issue to a friend and she stated that she had a friend with the pulsatile tinnitus and she went to a vascular specialiast who was able cure it. I am awaiting the info. In addition not sure if this is a perimenopause symptom as well .

• Posted

Thank you for the app recommendation . I will definitely share the info once i get it

• Posted

I know this is going to sound super weird but it worked for me. I had the pulsing in my ear for over a year. I suffer from Gerd but never connected the two. I started taking a probiotic for the Gerd and other issues and within a week the swooshing and pulsing in my ear went away and has yet to return. Worth a shot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.