Why am I dizzy?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi-I’m at a loss-I need advice/help. I’m not sure if I’m having anxiety or another issue. I’ve been dizzy going on a month. Like not vertigo dizzy, it’s in the background and I can function but it sucks. I’ve been to ent and allergy doc and they have found no issues. I’m really freaking out. I also get lightheaded at times. Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be from anxiety? My shrink thinks I’m having a lot of physical anxiety symptoms w this postpartum period (had a baby 12 weeks ago) but it just doesn’t seem right. Shrink also thinks it could be meds. I’m tapering off lexapro, 12.5-10 mg then to 5 mg and off. I’m also tapering off trazodone-50 mg to 25 mg. I take .5 mg of Ativan at night.i just started the lex taper three days ago and I reduced traz to 25 mg about 10 days ago. I’m cross tapering to Cymbalta, just started three days ago. My ent thinks it lexapro but it seems crazy to me that it could change. Thoughts?! Sorry this is long winded. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dizziness was always my physical symptom from anxiety

That’s how it all started with me .

I think in your case is a combination of anxiety and the changes on meds . 

It makes perfectly sense to me !

Hope it passes soon cause I know what a terrible sensation it is !

Fx

• Posted

Never had it before!! It’s terrible and constant. I didn’t start adding Cymbalta until Monday. Was dizzy before that. Is that what you meant by change on meds? 
    • Posted

I am on Escitalopram 10mg for 13 days. Side effects seem to have eased when does the anxiety start to ease> 4 to 6 weeks

• Posted

I’ve been on lexapro since November and dizziness seems to just come with it. A lot of good days yet a couple of dizzy ones too. I just went up to 17.5 nausea is my issue and weakness. Yet I never missed a day of work. 
    • Posted

Mine is like constant low level dizzy. Is that how your is? I also feel weak, especially in my legs. 
  • Posted

Yes my legs sometimes feel like I have lead weights on them. Dizziness will subside soon you hope. Everyone is different I still get a little nauseated in morning too. Yet I force myself to walk or do some kind of exercise everyday after work. This time of year very important to go outside and walk even if you don’t feel like it. Good luck my friend.
    • Posted

Thanks! I try and get exercise everyday.  I’ve been on it for a while so I’m not sure why dizzy. Doesn’t make sense. Good luck to you too!!
  • Posted

How long were you on the Lexapro before the dizziness started?

​To me, it sounds like a symptom of anxiety. Since you had a baby recently (congratulations!), your hormones are all over the place, and maybe the medications and doses that were effective before are no longer working.

• Posted

Like a while! I started it last July then got pregnant and dizzy started like six weeks postpartum. Tried to up to 15 mg but I got too jittery. 

It’s like a constant dizzy-really sucks. My ent thought it could be lexapro and hormones mixed together. I’m now starting Cymbalta, it’s been four days. 

• Posted

Sorry about the dizziness, i remember going through the same thing, thinking i had some sort of major issues somewhere, but it was simply the anxiety, i got tested for almost everthing and results where perfect.

I am currently on escitalopam 2.5 for starters, i couldn't handle 5mg at all.

You should be fine soon, talk to your doctor to ensure its the perfect time to get off this medication, since you can't handle the dizziness.

Maybe you should also get an ultrasound/trans Vaginal scan to ensure all is fine with your reproductive organs, make sure no internal bleeding after child birth.

You will be fine! Congratulations!

• Posted

Really? So it was anxiety? I’m almost off the lexapro and starting Cymbalta right now. I’m really hoping it starts to fade. So, yours went away? 
    • Posted

Yes , with the medication the dizziness reduced by far, so imagine your hormones, stress after child birth etc... that dizziness is nothing but stress and anxiety, trust me i spent soo much testing and testing and there was absolutely nothing found but stress and anxiety with mild depression...

You will be fine, just stay on anti anxiety/anti depressant till you feel better...

• Posted

Thanks. I feel like total crap right now. Almost off lexapro and 10 days in on Cymbalta. I’m hoping it diminishes soon!!
    • Posted

Sorry,

Please make sure you're drinking alot of water ( i mean alot) too, cos dehydration plus all the withdrawal symptoms plus hormones can be a horrible combination.

I just remembered that lots of water helped me alot too.

Remember dehydration can also make dizziness worse, especially if you are breastfeeding.

You will be fine.

• Posted

Thanks. I’m just super anxious, assuming it’s from stopping the lex. I don’t think Cymbalta is helping at all right now. I drink a ton of water and will contribute to do so. 
    • Posted

I am on 15 days on10mg of Lexapro and incredibly anxious. How long does it take to kick in 6 to 8 weeks. I have to take a 2mg Valium in the am
    • Posted

Hmmmm, it takes a while. I’m tapering off of it right now. At least a month. So tough!! 
    • Posted

Did the Lexapro poop out. Zoloft worked for me for 15 years at the lowest dose and pooped out. Does Lexapro work for a lot of people. I tried Prozac for 8 weeks and no change.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.