Why and is this right

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm under investigation for fibro .yesterday I slept for 20 hours in all and today I got jaw acke and wrist pain plus back pain is this normal 1 would think with all that sleep I shouldn't be tired and be refreshed but I feel like sh*t

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rachel, Sorry to hear you feel so rubbishy but that is a classic sign of fibro-

ie in refreshing sleep. One weekend I spent all day Saturday and most of Sunday in bed. Also I would fall asleep when home from work.

• Posted

Sorry just read my posting. Predictive text had a lot to answer for. I should have written unrefreshing sleep!
  • Posted

this sounds like sleep apnea.  Dr. Avram Gold determined that fibro gets better if you treat the sleep apnea.  my brother used to sleep this much but now sleeps half as much and feels better if he uses his CPAP.
    • Posted

Sleep apnoea is when you actually stop breathing due to airway obstruction. It is completely different to tiredness due to fibromyalgia.
    • Posted

look up UARS or upper airway resistance syndrome, and search on pubmed for Dr. Avram Gold and fibromyalgia. 

UARS is when you wake up before your airway collapses.  you don't remember microarousals, and can be awake all night while thinking you were sleeping.

• Posted

most people with fibro wake up stiff  after a few hours 

if you slept for 20 then i would say thats why , 

i get on a good night 6hrs sleep and its not unusal

for me to wake up with a numb ear and side of face and my arm and hand to.

• Posted

That was a good sleep i went in to town walked to 2 shops started feeling acky and tired went home nodded of .I went to bed at 8 the night b4 and woke about 4 times got up at 7 .town from 9 till 10 then sleep woke at 3 then bed again 11 up at 7 feeling horrible the most I've slept in month always tired but never sleep like that
    • Posted

its a night mare i no hun

i have a recliner and sleep in that rather than go to bed 

when i lye down imy whole side hurts after about 5hrs so i sleep part of the night in my chair and part in bedsad not the same but at least i get sleep .if i went ot bed at 11 i would be awake at  4am unable to sleep .

this way i sleep to about 2am in my chair and then go to bed till about 7 /8

• Posted

Sadly this is quite normal for Fibro. Apparently we don't get enough of the deep refreshing sleep no matter how many hours we sleep. I was diagnosed about 12 months ago and have improved but still need much more sleep and rest than I used to have. If you receive a confirmed diagnosis it is best to do as much research as you can and maybe read a couple of books about the illness. Everyones symptoms seem to vary slightly so the solution is not the same for everyone. I have had all the symptoms you mention and a few more besides! There is a lot of advice on here if you look through some of the older posts. I hope you feel a little better soon. x
    • Posted

Oh thanks Denise I've got 2 dead arms and wrist pain so dead and heavy at top but wrist hurt to move (no going to number 2 for me at moment) I feel the sleep done me no favours as my whole body is hurting and legs are getting cramps I keep getting giddy. Oh well tomorrow's another day let's hope it's better then today
  • Posted

Hello , I have fibro and i am having a ball ache of a day today alot of pain. You do get very drained some days. I get pain in wrists and knees /arms/ back /neck /ankles . When all this first started the pain was mainly in wrists and arms i was told i had carpol tunnel syndrome and had an opperation. Pain improved a little but years later back with a vengence. I am on duloxotine and have just started on amatriptaline. It does take a long time to diagnose because it presents itself like other symptoms. Keep positive. And if you feel sh*t do what i do say bollocks to the housework today and listen to your body. Rest when you have to. And dont overdo things when your able. Its a balance. Good luck. smile
  • Posted

It's happened to me too - I tend to find that I feel terrible if I have too much sleep. Sometimes we just can't win!!
    • Posted

i refer to this condition as daily torture to much of anything seems to make matters worse ,sleep .excersise.certain foods, medication, lack of sleep etc

you cant sleep because you hurt ,so you get up then your tired and you feel awful ,round and round,

• Posted

That's absolutely spot on Tiswas. I get so tired sometimes and my husband says that I move a lot when I do sleep, which wakes me up! I started having a few alcoholic drinks before bedtime, but I can't drink more than a glass or two of wine now or I suffer for it the day after.
    • Posted

that's because alcohol increases sleep apnea.

you are probably moving a lot in sleep because you are struggling to breathe.

the reason we feel worse with too much sleep is because the longer you sleep, the more REM sleep you have.  in REM you are paralyzed, and sleep apnea increases.  if you sleep only 6 hours, you won't have as much REM.  it is between hours 6 and 8 that you will go into the most REM and then feel awful.  keep a diary and see if you think I'm wrong.  and the reason that you feel better after only 6 hours, than you do if you sleep those extra two, is not because of sleep deprivation, otherwise you would feel the same.  the reason is because, while paralyzed and having more apnea, it is spiking your intracranial pressure.  when this used to happen to me, I could abort the entire thing with prednisone, which decreases brain edema.  some people feel better if they sleep at a 45 degree angle, which can reduce sleep apnea and also reduce brain swelling due to the gravitational effect.

• Posted

not picking holes hun but alcohol is a stimulant which is the worst thing we can have ,we need less stimulus not more, as our nervous system is already over working

thats why you feel so bad the next day after a couple of drinks .i am the same.

try soaking in a bath with magenisum sea flakes  and rubbing magneisum oil on your limbs this  will help with pain and jumping limbs.

and try some ionic minerals and some colidaual gold supplement .

i hope you find your way hun . everyone with this condition is differant its all trial and error.confused

• Posted

Sorry I didn't make myself clear here - what I should have said was I USED to have a drink at night to get some sleep - now I have no chance, and stick to special occasions only, Lol!! I've just read back what I had written and it makes me sound like an alcoholic, hahahaha! The point I was trying to make is that I CAN'T have alcohol any more - but I still move around in my sleep ( after alcohol, I used to sleep much better, but I daren't touch it regularly any more, as I feel rough the following day ). I also don't have sleep apnoea, fortunately.
    • Posted

I don't suffer from sleep apnoea, Deb, never have, even when I used to have a drink. I know because my husband get woken up sometimes when I'm disturbed, but when I'm disturbed he says I'm generally chattering away in my sleep. I asked him if I snore, and he said no, as he's a light sleeper, he's never heard me gasping for breath, and he suffers sleep apnoea himself, after suffering damage to his nose years ago, so he knows what it is, what it sounds like etc. We sound like a right pair, from that piece, Lol!! Even after a glass or two of wine, I don't suffer in my sleep - just the usual moving around and talking in my sleep. smile
    • Posted

if i have drink i am a zombie next day feel really poorly hurt like mad pain signals going of all over , this is with shorts , a pale ale i can sometimes get away with but i still feel very fatigued after .for a few days.
    • Posted

no hun but that bottle of pale ale beer in my cupboard is looking so inviting 

twisted i must be twisted to take the risk , but i love a nice beer .

• Posted

see below my reply to Aimee.  I have a friend whose daughter used to kick her in her sleep, flail around and talk too.  she had her tonsils out and that all stopped.  she also used to grind her teeth in her sleep.  gone.  she didn't snore.  snoring is not required for sleep disordered breathing.  I didn't snore either, but I was sick as S&%$ and now I'm better, after jaw surgery.  I'm just trying to help.  the doctors are clueless.  and the sleep study methods are useless, in general, so there's no guarantee that the lab would find it if you had a study.  sleep medicine is very backwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.