Why can't I break the habit?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Why can't i brake these habits? I've been drinking quite alot this last week, and i cut myself yesterday. I feel so useless, everything seems like to much effort. i have homework to do for this week, and have to do something each day that is just for me. Things like read a magazine or go for a walk. I started to cry coz even these things seem to hard to do.

I need to try harder, i'm just wallowing at the moment. I really don't know what i'm going to do!

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Orb Fairy,

Oh Dear! Listen, you are not useless and depression is just as 'real' as a problematic shoulder. Depression can be due to a too few Serotonin receptors in the brain (due to genes), an overactive cleaning lady mopping up all the neurotransmitters before they've had a chance to work (MAOI's work to prevent her and her mop bucket), too little Serotonin in the gaps (synapses) between brain cells (which is what SSRI's work on by stopping the brain cells from hoovering the Serotonin back up into little holding bottles on the 'presynaptic' cell - presynaptic just means the one in front of the gap between nerve cells). It's also due to faulty thought patterns and 'maladaptive' ways of thinking (thinking that you are useless for example....that's not much help to you is it?). Don't put yourself down. Your symptoms are at least 50% due to dodgy brain chemistry which the drugs can help with.

Accept some days are hell on earth, and accept the good days when they come....and they will. Just takes a bit of time to rejig the chemistry and to learn new ways of thinking about yourself that aren't so self-defeating.

Good luck.

xxx

• Posted

Hi clh2pls,

I didnt understand any of that lol. I'm not really sure that its all down to chemistry! i think alot of it is learnt behaviour with me! i dont really know! its all so confusing. I dont want to take my anti depressants anymore, they not helping i dont think and i cant stand that feeling of being 'pilled up' like i did on Monday.

I do feel useless sometimes, i'm a grown woman i should know better.

Theres that word again 'should' i'm supposed to change it for another word!

I'm sorry thanks for your reply, once i get my medical dictionary out and understand what it is you've said. :lol:

I'm abit down at the moment, got to go food shopping today, maybe that will cheer me up!

Take care of your self

• Posted

lol Orb

I think the poster just meant that depression is due to an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. The AD's will help balance them off, in the meantime you/we need to learn to retrain our way of thinking.

Did you ask your GP about cognitive behaviour therapy?

Hope the shopping trip cheers you up.

Off to work now :roll:

Melbi x

• Posted

Hi Melbi,

I dont know what help to ask for, i dont really know whats wrong with me!

I mean i know i'm depressed but dont really know why :? It could have been any one of my previous experiences or all of them that have just compounded together and turned into one fat ugly mess that i cant untangle!

I'm letting things get on top of me again, dont really know what to do with myself at the moment. Think i made a proper arse of myself on Monday, now i'm just a raving lunitic. :oops: i showed him copies of my postings on here, i dont know if that was the right thing to do!

I dont really want to carry on with AD's but i have to because if i hit rock bottom again, i wont get up next time :cry:

i'm sorry, i'm bringing everyone down :oops: Right going to go and write my shopping list and buy food!

Hope you have a good day at work.

• Posted

Thougth i would add something alittle positive. My daughter had her first Muay Thai boxing lesson and she did brilliantly smile You go girl, she loves it. she'll be able to kick my arse when i feel sorry for myself smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.