Why can't I eat or sleep ??

Posted , 6 users are following.

Started my mirtzapine journey 7 weeks ago after a nightmare 10 weeks on citalopram which ended up with me being addmited to my local hospital mental health ward.

Started on 15 mg and that night I actually slept ( had 10 weeks of abt 3 hours a night), I managed about 6 hours and my appetite returned with a vengeance. A week later I was upped to 30mg ( I was also tapered off my citalopram over that week).

I was discharged from hospital after 2 weeks and seemed to be feeling the effects of the mirtazipine I could actually go places without feeling extreme anxiety but I was still feeling depressed a lot of the time but I managed to float along most days.

Then a week past Monday I just seemed to be getting lower and lower each day, my sleep stopped tossing and turning most of the night, struggling to eat again so I took myself off to the doctors on Friday where he decided to increase my dose to 45 mg.

I was also given zoplicone 3.75 mg and told to take it 2 nights on and 2 nights off.

Woke up sat anxious as usual but managed to do what I need to do, same again Sunday and Monday but then noticed I was sliding again yesterday and today has just been awful. I'm back to living on complan the last 2 days and my sleep is terrible I manage to get 6 hours wen I take the zoplicone but without it I just keep waking up constantly during the night, I know I'm dreaming so I must be getting some sleep but I just feel exhausted with no appetite at all ! I thought this med was supposed to aid sleep and stimulate appetite ?

I know it's still early days and Iv had a dose increase I just need reassurance that these things will settle down once my body adjusts to the new dose or is mirtazipne not going to work for me !!!

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just wanted to say that I've been on 30mg mirtazapine with 225mg venlafaxine for several years, and I sleep well most nights. I keep a zopiclone beside my bed to take if I'm still awake after about an hour, but I very rarely need it. I've used up 9 since I got them prescribed in March 2011! I also have a normal appetite, and haven't gained any weight like some people report. So mirtazapine can work for some people, the trouble is that you can't be sure whether it will work for you until you try it. It does sound a bit as though your body is still adjusting to the withdrawal of citalopram and the altering dose of mirtazapine. Can the doctor give you tranquillisers to help with the anxiety in the short term? I hope you get some relief soon. Pixie
    • Posted

Do you think I could still be withdrawing from the citalopram ? I took it for 10 weeks and Iv been off it for 6

I don't seem to be having any side effects as such since my dose increase a week ago, I do feel a bit more anxious but Iv been anxious every morning for 17 weeks! I just don't understand how Iv lost my appetite and I fall asleep ok but just don't seem to stay asleep

I know it's not all down to the meds and you have to help yourself recover which I'm trying to do with the help of CBT but you get in to the cycle of

" I'm never going to get through this" I'm trying to accept my mental health problem and it's early days but it's bloody hard

• Posted

Hi Lan

Are you saying you have been off Cit for 6 days or 6 weeks?  If you're saying 6 days then I agree with Pixie, it's probably the withdrawal - always best to wd verfy slowly ESPECIALLY FROM MIRT', do ask the guys on here about reducing Mirt before you consider it, but don't worry, it's do-able.

Also I have to say that the 15mg of Mirt' is best for sleep aid, a lot of people on this forum have said that using 15mg Mirt as sleep aid along with a compatible A.D. is the best route rather than upping the Mirt.  It takes a while to stabilise on your meds, if you do reduce the Mirt do it ultra slowly.

In the meantime, again I agree with Pixie, sleep dep' seems to be your underlying worst friend at the mo, once thats back you will be able to see the wood from the trees.  

Zopiclone should only be used as a very last resort; ask your doc instead for benzos' - tranqs.

wishing you well & thinking of you x

• Posted

Hi

Iv been off the cit nearly 7 weeks now

I only take the zoplicone when really necessary cos I don't want to become addicted to them

The doc won't prescribe any more diazapam, so I'm just having to get in with it. Iv been living with this anxiety and depression for 4 months now with the odd glimpse of hope, I don't know how people cope with this for years I take my hat off to them

I'm currently reading Claire weekes book and it has become my bible

• Posted

Hi Lan

10 weeks on Cit and one week to withdraw = practically cold turky!!

Mirt 15 to 30 in one week is a massive jump, then one week later another increase to 45 mg ... most people on this forum are saying that upping the dose of Mirt' increases their anxiety - some say it's when their anxiety actually began, I only know that most people have this in common, and if that gives you a little comfort then all the better - it's not you - it's the meds.

Anxiety and Insomnia are the worst symptoms of clinical depression I sometimes wonder, if we took Claire Weekes advice regarding the anxiety, without the medication, would we be better off.

You have had a real hard time, some of which possibly made worse by doctors not knowing the effects these meds have on us.  Not being able to sleep is the worst thing in the world, but remember, we only need a few hours "rem" sleep to get by.  If it helps, "Say Goodnight To Insomnia" by Dr Greg Jacobs has really helped my insomnia, which caused anxiety, which caused depression !

Be careful if you decide to change doses, Mirt' cannot be swapped but needs to be withdrawn very slowly, ask when you're ready.

wishing you well & hoping your having a better day today.

• Posted

Lan, I have replied to you but the moderator has removed it, hopefully it will be back on soon.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi

I was on 15mg mirt and 20 mg of cit for one week then the cit was stopped and the mirt increased to 30 mg . I stayed on that does for 5 weeks and increased 11 days ago to 45mg .

My anxiety was uncontrollable on the cit, I really don't know how I survived the 10 weeks ! It's still there but it's like it's sort of bubbling away somewhere inside me but not boiling over. Is this the mirt or is it my knowledge gained from reading Claire weekes? I also wonder if by not taking the AD's and trying her way would work

The lack of sleep does get me down I'm averaging abt 5 hours which I know compared to some people is quite a lot and I do make myself anxious by worrying about it

Lisa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.