Why do I wake up with abdominal pain every day

Posted , 28 users are following.

Every morning I wake up with left abdominal and back pain, it's located between my spine around to my navel. The pain is in the exact same place every morning and wakes me from my sleep, iv had it for 6 years now had various tests and nothing has helped. I get depressed too and I think it's linked to waking up in agonising pain every day. It gos away once iv been up and about for an hour or so, and it's only in a morning I get it. If I take a deep breath it becomes a sharp throbbing pain... I have also recently after 4 years of telling my doctor I have endometriosis, been diagnosed with endometriosis!!! Could it be affecting my bowels? I am lost as to what options I have left, and swing in roundabouts of depression because of it!! Please help

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi there,

I just wanted to say I have the same exact thing! I do have celiac disease like another person mentioned. I think the pain is intestinal pain. While you sleep, your body is more or less at rest, right? So that allows time for a buildup in the intestines to occur. When you wake up and stand up vertically, the intestines pick up their pace a little and dont hurt as much. I'm usually fine after I pee (to relieve some pressure) and then walk around for a while.

One thing I'm curious about is whether anyone else complaining of this issue is also very thin? Might have something to do with it. 

• Posted

If the endos are sticking to your bowel, this can cause bowel problems which can be mistaken for IBS.
  • Posted

it's my guess you have acid reflux take an an-acid or PPI see if that helps I have the same problem as soon as getting out of bed it goes away could be large gas pockets in your small intestines or lower down causing the pain

when you get up things start moving again

mine started off like this and got much worse where I would be woken up about 2 hours after to sleep had to take meds to get relief

• Posted

Hi all, I keep googling my condition still and every time his old thread of mine comes up and I read it thinking to myself WOW Someone with the same thing as me haha then I realise it was me!! 😂 Anyway I googled again this morning because I woke up in a lot of pain 😢 Has anyone found any kinds of relief ? 9 years and I haven't, so desperate xxx

• Posted

Is your pain in one spot?

Is that spot just on the inside or outside edge of the abdominal muscle?

Does lying on the unaffected side help?

If so, google Anterior Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome, and get someone to perform Carnett's test (you don't need to be a doctor to do this, but you do need to get it right).

Another possibility is an undiscovered hernia.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi I have had this for years. The meds I take are omiprozolle (not sure about spelling) they reduce acid and work well. I come off them for a few months as things get better and then go back on. 

I have used them for years. Going back to an older post, cutting out refined sugar helps, I did this for six months, not only lost weight but felt better. 

Sugar is addictive and I slowly went back on it. I now have the pain again so back on the meds.

• Posted

hi star hi have had this same symptoms as your for the last 3 years . I know how you feel. the doctors don't seem to know what it is. All they say to me is use heat n the pain to help relieve it x

• Posted

Hi David 

I may have found something that could help, I've been using it just over a month and it's been brilliant! It's called silicolgel or the more expensive one is enterosgel I only take it at night before bed and not 3 times a day as it's pricey but oh my goodness it's helped so much give it a try? And let me know I hardly have any pain in a morning but is still early days xx

• Posted

I will try this and see how it goes. what other symptoms to you have? x

• Posted

Have you tried the gels yet? I have to keep switching brands every now and then xx
  • Posted

I have the same issue. Every morning when i wake up, theres no pain. But after 10 minutes i feel the pain especially when i bend my body to left side, i feel the pain to my lower left abdomen. But after an hour or two hours, the pain will go away.  I have also lower left back pain, but my lower back pain is always there every day. I dont know which doctor I need to consult. I’m 28 years old and I’m really depressed about it. I really want to join u.s military but this things is a big hindrance for my dream.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.