Why do I wake up with abdominal pain every day

Posted , 28 users are following.

Every morning I wake up with left abdominal and back pain, it's located between my spine around to my navel. The pain is in the exact same place every morning and wakes me from my sleep, iv had it for 6 years now had various tests and nothing has helped. I get depressed too and I think it's linked to waking up in agonising pain every day. It gos away once iv been up and about for an hour or so, and it's only in a morning I get it. If I take a deep breath it becomes a sharp throbbing pain... I have also recently after 4 years of telling my doctor I have endometriosis, been diagnosed with endometriosis!!! Could it be affecting my bowels? I am lost as to what options I have left, and swing in roundabouts of depression because of it!! Please help

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have the same thing 6 years abdominal pain around belly button it wakes me every night the only thing I'm thinking now is it could be my spine radiating through to belly button it's only ever in morning but when I put something hard like the bean bag you put in microwave to heat it takes it away but then the back hurts which makes me think it's the back I've had ct scans ultra scans to appendics no hernia the doctors are confused I've had to stop having sex I've tried so many diets it's awful but when I'm up it goes I'm so glad to hear someone has same as me please reply

• Posted

Hi, still no relief I've had this pain for 9 years no and so fed up no diagnosis have u had any relief?

• Posted

Hi I've had the same problem for about 2 years. Everyone is talking about bowel disease and eating wrong foods and no exercise. But no one has mentioned about sleeping on your front and having the wrong mattress. I had brand new back care mattress which cost me £400 and every morning when waking up I had really bad pain in my back and abdominal pain which went after about an hour after waking up. I sleep on my front a lot and have suffered with back problems over the years and always had cheap hard mattresses. I've got a new mattress now and I've gone for a really soft one and it cost me £1100 it's a mammoth mattress. I also try to sleep on my back now and it's made a massive difference. I still get the pains now and then but I know I've turned on to my front while I've been asleep. I sometimes work away and have to stop in travel lodges and every morning when I wake up I'm in pain then I go home get in my own bed an everything's fine. I'm not saying this could help you but it worked for me. It's about finding that right mattress and sleeping in the correct position. Places like Bensons for beds and dreams do 30 or 40 or even 100 night sleep trials and they will swap it if the mattress isn't the one for you. It's got to be worth a try. Hope this helps good luck!

• Posted

My stomach pain is IBS and it sometimes gives me back pain.  The pain moves all over my stomach too.  I have bowel habit change and on off nausea.
  • Posted

hi there i just came back from tenerife and while over there i had pain every morning or middle of night took paracitomol every night but ive noticed its been hurting on my left abdominal i went to doctors demarded a stool test incase stomach bug which i had before anyway i done it then flew to tenerife phoned doctor after a week they said my stool test was abnormal imflammation somewhere i need to repeat when home so its monday 10th april and im hoping to go toliet by tomorrow get tests back in a week ive had to give up sex with my partner because it causes more pain so its affecting my life alot   i thought the sun might help but it didnt . going to a poo does help alittle bit try going a poo then going back to sleep 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for that information I read it lately I've come to know there's something wrong with bowel not sure upper or lower think its colon because I had colonic irrigation pain went for 5 days so 3 weeks later doctor gave me picolax to clean me out and that night I was going toilet a lot but going straight back to bed to sleep no pain just abit uncomfortable in tummy the good news is I stopped taking my nexium for acid about 2 months ago and since I have I've been sleeping on 3 or 4 pillows at night and having a nap on 2 In afternoon I was baptised recently so I don't know if god helped me but it's a miracle that that after 7 years has calmed down but this pain above belly button is horrendous during the night . I had sex other night for 15 mins with partner of 2 years and 40 mins later my tummy swelled up and was so sore for 6. Days imagine wat he thinks my mum says haha I'm allgeric to men lol so is she I've wrote a food diary lately and I don't think it's wat I'm eating I eat salmon veg salad jacket pototoe steak sometimes porridge almond milk boiled pot today it's 11th may I was cleared out last night let's see how I sleep tonight it feels like there's a sore or cut behind belly button but doctors useless how r u

• Posted

Potato could be a food trigger for you.  My brother had IBS and potato was his problem.
    • Posted

Yes I find it does but sex is the worst problem I’m I’ll for 2 weeks after it’s ruining my relationship
  • Posted

Hi know exactly how u feel ! No one wants to know had all investigations done and thank god nothing sinister came up it is still ruining my life . I have a lot of scar tissue from previous ops and told this could be causing it but no laparoscopy offered and I wake up everyday with agonising pain in my lower abdomen it's awful and because of this I am on antidepressants which is not the answer . I no longer go out much and always want to be close to home can anyone on here share anything to help ? 

• Posted

Do you have change of bowel habit as well or any food reactions?  Does your pain move about and do you have temporary relief of pain after a bowel movement? If so, you may have IBS which doesn't show up on scans.  It can only be diagnosed when everything else has been ruled out.  It took me three and a half months to get a diagnosis of IBS.  Anxiety and stress can trigger IBS and make IBS worse.  Hsve you had any recent stress lately? Stress caused my IBS,  You will need to keep going back to your doctor and if necessary change your doctor.  I saw several doctors before my diagnosis.  

Try a food diary and ask your doctor for an antispasmodic.  Buscopan helps me.

• Posted

Hi

I'm actually lying in bed right now having been woken up by these exact same pains that everyone in this forum is discussing. Thought I'd google for some advice and came across this forum so thought I'd add my experience.

So I'm a 30 year old female, I'd say I've had these pains for a year, maybe 2 now. I don't suffer every morning with them and I have never been to the doctors to try to find out the cause. I am a smoker, smoking mainly on weekend evenings and i find that if I have had a particularly heavy night on them that's when I wake up with these pains. This obviously may not apply to anyone else in this forum. One other thing I've noticed is that I very rarely suffer with these pains during the week, hence I've linked it to my smoking but also my diet too. During the week i eat very healthily and do not over eat. However, on the weekends I tend to treat myself, for example, I had a take away curry last night and I feel this is somehow linked to my pains.

So what I have learnt is that if I am healthy and look after my body, eat well, days when I don't smoke, and I also do yoga 2 to 3 times a week this tends to keep the pains at bay. As soon as I indulge in anything naughty they come back as a lovely reminder that I should be taking care of my body.

Good luck with feeling better!x

• Posted

Smoking and eating processed foods can aggravate conditions like IBS and gastritis.  See your doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.