Why do most GP's find it difficult to empathise with women with peri/menopause problems

Posted , 22 users are following.

and as I'm writing this  a stray tear has just  trickled down my cheek cry

I have had the most awful day after going to see my doctor, I came out feeling like I am a waste of time and my current problems are all related to depression, in fact I am considering changing my practice tommorrow. sad

For the past three or four days I have felt exhausted, aching and my folks even noticed when they visited yesterday. I constantly pass urine and have no energy.

I hate going to the doctors, but felt it was necessary to be seen and maybe try and get to the bottom of this.................................

Bigg mistake!!! rolleyes as both the nurse and the GP were just awful..........

I really don't feel the medical profession have any real understanding or compassion for women like me (well us). 

Enough said, I will try to get some much needed sleep and hopefully I will feel a bit better tommorrow.

A little compassion would have helped,

Nite All XXX  

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am SO SORRY to hear about the dreadfull treatment you have received at your GP.  I share smilar experinces with you. I now try to avoid certain Dr in my GP since I know they will be horrible.  You are right it is their job. Their job is not just to priscribe a medication but to understand human physchology!  I hope you find a kinder GP. Remember you are not alone. Best of luck
    • Posted

The problem is it's not just one GP at my current practice, the female GP's are abrupt, unsympathetic and judgemental, the new nurse is haughty and more interested in chatting with other staff than doing her job......

it's dreadful

thanks for repl ycheesygrining

• Posted

Mrs Merm 

Ring the doctors surgery and make a complaint you maybe surprised with the outcome, sometimes we dont say how we really feel about treatment because we are either embarrassed or its not in our nature... Never give up hope..as there is light at the end of all our journeys.  Sleep well and keep us posted.  

Goodnight ladies.

• Posted

Thanks for that Dianna wink

Mrs M x

• Posted

MrsMerm, may I ask why are you seeing a GP for your HRT? Shouldn't you be seeing your gynecologist? I worked in this field before, rarely have I ever heard of GP's prescribing HRT usually they leave that to the gyne's.

It's awful to be mistreated and feeling like you're the problem. But if you would have gone to see your gynecologist, I doubt you would be treated this way. Gynecologist deal with these types of situations all the time, and is not out of the ordinary for them to go through the symptoms and find a solution to your specific issue. Moreso, when you're going through peri/menopause and taking HRT. Taking HRT is always a concern with all doctors who prescribe them. Find yourself a gynecologist and stop playing around with a GP, who has no experience with these types of issues.

• Posted

The Gynecologist I saw was far from helpful when it came to HRT. My GP sent me to HIM regarding an ultrasound scan that showed a 'large' cyst. That's how I found out about the others cysts and fibroids. Another scan showed they were shrinking as the menopause took hold. I asked him about HRT for the 'miseries'. He said 'I don't deal with that, ask your GP'. In other words, I can't be axxxd!

• Posted

What country do you live in? HRT is given by gyne's here in USA.
    • Posted

Definitely different type of medical care with different standards. Sorry to hear that.
    • Posted

Excellent answer Pat,

However, when I asked to be referred to a gynaecologist, my GP wouldn't hear of it advising me that it was not their job to prescribe HRT, he thought that this kind of stuff should be dealt with at general practice level. I completely agree with you and may even go private for a consultation

thank you

Mrs M wink xxx

• Posted

Quite often I have felt patronised by GP's and don't think that they are as knowledgeable as they should be UK rolleyes

These people command a high salary and should be better than this eek

• Posted

I know how you feel. I went to my docs last year, it was a female doctor so thought I would get understanding. Went because feeling dizzy a lot and hot flushes at night were keeping me a wake. Told because of family history of heart problems could not have hrt. Told I would just have to put up with it ans sent away, I havent been back and dont know what to do, the dizzy spells worry me as never know when they are going to hit. The last time as was in town shopping, luckly sister was with me. Think the female doctor are worse for this then the men
    • Posted

I've had the best of both. Nonetheless, my female doctors have been more understanding. My males doctors offer lots of suggestions to help combat the symptoms. So maybe because I look for the best in medical care I get the best attitudes. Just saying.
    • Posted

Hi Pat,

I can't help but look for the best in medical care because I work within the healthcare profession, I know when it's good and when it's bad............

I give excellent care and expect the same back, there really is no excuse for making someone feel worse than they did when they arrived for the appointment.

GP's need to wake up and start holistically treating patients rather than addressing the computers in their office frown

• Posted

Find another GP, please don't ignore this dizzyness, I know they can be abrupt and unsympathetic but there must be some good ones? rolleyes

I'm changing practice wink 

• Posted

I completely agree with you. Luckily, doctors here are doing both and I've had both types of treatments. Yes, go to a gyne private practice and get the treatment and medical care you deserve. Holistic pills are out there for all the symptoms we're suffering here. So if you tell me what are you suffering with maybe I can stear you into recommending what's available to you? I also worked in the medical field, but also took a more holistic approach with some of my symptoms.
    • Posted

Thanks Pat,

are you ready for this, I mean symptoms that is lol

there are a myriad including, dry itchy skin, strange surreal feelings like "I imagine being high on drugs", dizzyness, muddled disorganisation not valuable in a work situation, complete exhaustion, leave it with me as there are many more hun,

sat here slurping a large glass of wine and relaxing right now

Nite Pat wink

Mrs M XXX

• Posted

Okay well, I can certainly sympathize with you, been there done that. However, the head thing got better with gingko biloba, I also, took a multi-vitamin, and st. john's worts. My favorite was St. John's worts to calm my head and my stress. Calcium and vitamin c also helped. Don qaui helped some of my friends, but not me. My multi-vitamin helped with just about everything like low energy,  and skin issues. It was a vegetarian one. Basically, our bodies will use up whatever is needed to balance it out and dump the rest. So whatever I was lacking the vitamin took care of it.

As for red wine, not too much, studies have shown that women who consume more than 5 glasses of red wine in a week have a higher incidence of breast cancer. Mostly, from the pesticides in the wine but there are organic ones that don't have pesticides. Hope you have a nice day. Pat XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.