Why does it take so long to treat anxiety!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've had big progress in the last 9 weeks on citalopram, but then i get my period and I feel full of anxiety again! I know things are improving, but I need constant reassurance that it is normal for it to take this long to recover?

0 likes, 144 replies

144 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Oh my , you could be me , I feel same exactly , two weeks spot on before period and a couple off days after my mind gos into over drive and I’ve recently developed from what I’ve read .. rocd . Had my tablets upped three weeks ago , and my anxiety and rocd is really really bad .
  • Posted

you must remember that nicotine patches make you anxious as you ,i assume are trying to give up smoking and also having your periods and taking medication altogether will make you anxious ,because you are trying too many things at the same time
    • Posted

Your talking about Claire the one that went cold turkey..which also is on nicotine patches..
    • Posted

Did you struggle through that 8 months? Did you ever feel like you were back to square one and would never better?
    • Posted

Yes ma'am..but thru out the 8months my struggles diminish day by day week by week with quite a few blips in between..but I didn't touch my dosage I stay on my 10milli.and touch wood 19months later still on 10 and feeling quite well.

• Posted

Have you been having tough days? I'm getting benzos Monday kinda scared of them lol 

• Posted

I've had to take one a day yesterday and today and they help. Just a temporary help.

• Posted

I took it for a whole year .now I take it when needed..half of a .25.the smallest amount. Cat n dog dosage..
    • Posted

I would be more scared of celexa ..than a benzo..
    • Posted

Seconded... ssri drugs are far more unpredictable than a small dose of diazepam.  Mind you diazepam saved me from insane anxiety and panic when I started on Paxil back in 2010.  So far after 5 weeks on Celexa I have chosen to avoid taking a benzo. I have had a couple of panic attacks though but I'm definitely a bit better than when I was on no meds..... I have accepted I MUST be on something..... here's giving Celexa a try..........

• Posted

hi Manny well done for not needing benzos or anything else.I needed help as I couldn’t sleep on celexa 

I lived in the south of England in another life!! 

• Posted

I'm just hoping the benzos can help me with this morning anxiety. Starting my day off like this is what makes me struggle. Last night I felt completely normal and I wake up feeling anxious about being anxious 

• Posted

Oh trust me the benzo will help..there is no way I would suffered..look at it this way the doctor's give out for a reason...when you go to the emergency with a panic attacks..the first thing they give you is not celexa..IS A BENZO...

• Posted

I'm going to keep my faith in you lol... So many people online are talking about the addiction of it... So many people being negative 

• Posted

I guess it would be good as well seeing i feel that my depression has really lifted. I just have this morning anxiety which builds throughout the day until the evening when I am completely relaxed 
    • Posted

The benzos helped you? I'm having morning anxiety still. I don't feel as depressed so I guess that's a good thing. The morning anxiety builds throughout the day which then gets me a little down. My evenings I feel completely normal. 

• Posted

Addiction only happens in high doses. And only happens to addictive minds..if you don't have an addictive personality go for it..if you do don't..

• Posted

Not sure if I asked you this how does it make you feel when you take one? 
    • Posted

My 78 year old mom has been on a benzo for 20years..with celexa..and she's not addicted..she takes her .25 every night and she's fine..only worry about and only you can make that decision..if it was up to everything I read in every forum I would of probably ended up in the phych ward..do you mylo..

• Posted

That's is great advice. There is some awful advice in some forums lol. I really appreciate your help and you just talking to me. You're really an angel. 

• Posted

I feel exactly like raj.stated .. relief and an over calm feeling thru out my body .
    • Posted

Yes benzos help me I am sad but not anxious in the morning anymore. I think at 5 weeks the tabs are beginning to work but heck in this day and age isn’t there a pill will far less side effects!!!
    • Posted

Wow imagine if there where..any how ..until that brain of yours decides to send that special signal to your receptors to not produce any more serotonin because we have some already..the situation is a waiting game..thats not so pleasant..and because the benzos takes care of the Gama receptors.thats why most doctor's prescribed a benzo with and ssri..the Gama receptors are Happy with the benzo..so your able to withstand the start up effects of the ssri.something like that my phychiatrist explain it to me..

• Posted

I wish lol. Happy that people are saying it isn't making them feel sedated or drunk 

• Posted

Thanks for your reply it’s a difficult day today. Yes it makes sense what your psychiatrist said to you, great to hear some Drs know enough and care enough to help with side efffects or even acknowledge them !! 
    • Posted

when are you going to see your doctor?
    • Posted

Tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'm going to give the benzos a shot.

• Posted

I wouldn’t say I don’t need them I’m trying to avoid using them which makes it harder in the long run for me. If it gets ultra severe then perhaps I will resort to them as backup...   I’m in Worthing near Brighton.  
    • Posted

I agree with Lois,  I took it before for a few weeks and I never got addicted. It’s good to take to combat a panic attack.  Incredible in fact even at 2mg it’s effective.  Just don’t pop them every 5 mins and you should be ok. Docs only prescribe small doses as it’s a commonly abused prescribed drug and can be bought alongside gabapentin and others on the black market. I smoked cigarettes around 20 a day around 20 years ago and one day I just stopped!  I guess I don’t have an addictive mind.  People were soo surprised when I just stopped without any help. First week was tough but after that was ok and I just thought about how much £’s I was saving.... 

• Posted

Lois, Do you think I should go up to 20mg... Ive just read that it the theraputic dose? 
    • Posted

You know in every country the so call therapeutic dose is different..my phychiatrist says in the USA.any dose that your body can with stand starting on ten is the so call therapeutic dose..i myself.struggle on 20 ..for a couple of weeks.and got decrease to ten...and that was more tolerable for me...it may suit you..these meds are all trial and error..
    • Posted

You know in every country the so call therapeutic dose is different..my phychiatrist says in the USA.any dose that your body can with stand starting on ten is the so call therapeutic dose..i myself.struggle on 20 ..for a couple of weeks.and got decrease to ten...and that was more tolerable for me...it may suit you..these meds are all trial and error..
    • Posted

Yes I understand less is better with drugs. I needed the benzos as much as the cit for now!! Every day is a new opportunity to improve!! I lived in Bournemouth 
    • Posted

Ok... I was just hoping I would notice something different by now.. I’ll stick on 10 and give it s few more weeks..
    • Posted

Yes it does..we all wish for a quick fix .but unfortunately is not..the most complicated organ the brain .is not and easy task..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.