Why does it take so long to treat anxiety!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've had big progress in the last 9 weeks on citalopram, but then i get my period and I feel full of anxiety again! I know things are improving, but I need constant reassurance that it is normal for it to take this long to recover?

0 likes, 144 replies

144 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It can take up to 12 weeks for things to settle down fully.  You’ve said you’ve made big progress in the last 9 weeks - perhaps write down all the changes and progress you’ve made so in moments of doubt or fear you can reflect on the improvements??

Also CBT can really help too so speak to your GP about a referral to a service who can offer CBT.  From my experience the more I tried to seek reassurance that I was going to be ok the worse I felt! Instead what I had to do is take one day at a time and not project too much into the future. 

There’s a really good website that has lots of workbooks and information on anxiety that might help - I can’t put the link in this post for some reason but if you google - “CBT cci” it should take you to the website. 

Also try mindfulness and yoga - both are great for reducing anxiety. 

• Posted

Thanks! I know I'm making progress I just feel like I need the reassurance sometimes, but it always makes me feel better to know that other people have taken this long to feel better.    The first time I was on meds I felt bettrt within weeks but may have been placebo effect.

• Posted

Thanks so much Claire I will look at the website on cbt Maybe that well help me feel more stable Thanks any other suggestions to cope with the wait until “12 weeks” and meds are trulyworking well and giving comfort x x 
  • Posted

Hello, I'm at a similar stage as yourself. People on this forum are great for reassurance. From what I've picked up, it can take up to 12 weeks for cit to work, even longer according to USA forums. My gp said that happy pills enable us to produce more happy chemicals in our brains. The trouble is we produce such small amounts, it takes a long time to build up correct levels. From what i can tell, if you have noticed small improvements, then it's likely cit will eventually return you to feeling normal. Think you have to give it 12 weeks, before you and your gp can decide if it's right for you, or whether you need an increase in dose, or a new type of happy pill. As it takes a relatively long time for someone to go from stressed and anxious to depressed, when recovery takes place, it takes eqaully long, and you have to go back through stress and anxiety, before feeling normal again. That seems to make sense to me. For myself taking a happy pill, stress and anxiety are an indication it's working. The stress and anxiety I'm talking about, are what people call the side effects. Mark on this forum is particularly clear that in his experience, you need to give them 12 weeks before making any decisions, with most of the benefits coming in the final few weeks. Following small improvements I've had over last week, I'm inclined to believe him. 2 weeks ago I was all for changing. Glad I didn't, as I need to give cit a chance. What if I'd changed, and cit was the answer? Hope this helps.

• Posted

I went from happy and feeling normal to unbearable anxious overnight. I've never been depressed I never would of guess when this started that 3 months later I'd still feel awful.

• Posted

It's certainly an eye opener. What really unnerves you is that you feel okay, then you go backwards. That's really scary, how can that happen. The small amount of confidence you gained after a few days, disappears immediately. Was sat at my desk last week, feeling good, then I could just feel it slipping away, and felt down for the rest of the day. No apparent reason for it. I'm on week 8, and I don't seem to get down any more. However, very anxious instead, until it releases in the afternoon. I think anxiety is a good indication that cit is working though, which is what I'm hanging on to. It's easy to think of the anxiety being the same as being depressed, as you are still worrying about things. If you think about how you feel now, and at the start, although anxiety is very intense and worrying, it's not so bad as being depressed and feeling hopeless. From what i can gather on here, it's a case of waiting for 12 weeks since starting or upping the dose, to make any decisions. All the best.

• Posted

Leticia,  how bad were your ups and downs in week 5... Yesterday I felt dang near normal during parts of the day. Today I'm tired and I can't stop yawning. Also having a decent amount of anxiety 

• Posted

I have been on cit for 5 weeks now and if not for this support I would have given up. I had no idea re side effects and no dr said it would be like this. I recently had 3 good days and Felt I was past the worse then today I had a stressful and anxious day!! I am hearing that 12 weeks will make the difference I really hope that’s true. Can’t wait to the smiling joyful me I once was!!!! Thanks for listening 
    • Posted

My down at 5 weeks I felt like i couldnt live like this anymore i was miserable and crazy anxious
    • Posted

I'm on 5 weeks myself... Well consistent five weeks at 30mg. I was previously taking 25mg inconsistently ( I know stupid of me) . I've had some good days one really good day, but the last week has been a struggle. I wish I could remember how I handeled this last time because I'm struggling 

• Posted

Did it up at start going back up at 6 weeks? That's how I feel now I just want to give up  in a sense 

• Posted

Yes I don’t remember it takes no so long last time. But we are five weeks in I wanna celebrate that at least. Last week I had 2 good days and this week I had 3 good days, I don’t mean they were brilliant I mean I laughed and was joking and felt some joy. then yesterday was tough but hopefully next week will continue to improve. I need to celebrate the baby steps!! We all do
    • Posted

I started 30mg of cit 8 weeks ago, then increased to 40mg 5 weeks ago. First 4 weeks were bad lows for a few days, followed by highs for a few, alternating between the 2. Both felt a little manic, and not quite real. Then 2 weeks of very flat and anxious, no highs. Noticed improvements a week ago, with some days of feeling okay. These okay feelings sometimes disappeared during the day, replaced by anxiety and not so bad lows. The changes between good and bad are not as extreme, and seem tobswitch backwards and forwards more quickly. No of low and anxious moments seem to be reducing. Also, yoga and simple meditation seem to be showing noticeable improvements immediately after doing them now, whereas a couple of weeks ago, it was difficult to tell. For Myself, when I tried meditation while depressed, it used to get me manic, as I couldnt control my thoughts. This is not now happening. Hope this helps for reference.
    • Posted

I would think that the severity of someone's depression, would effect the time it takes for meds to work, and the side effects. Someone with less severe depression will probably recover more quickly with less side effects. Think it's difficult to say exactly what will happen for any individual. Keep looking for the small improvements like you said, and give it plenty of time.

• Posted

Thank you so much for reaching out. I had got so excited that I had some good days then bam but you are on 40 and 12 weeks in I am only on 20 and 5 weeks in. But gives me hope to hear others stories and be reminded to perserve!! I have an apt with my psychiatrist in 8days so plan to ask him to increase them to 30mg. I am not working at present so if the side effects are not so good at least I will cope. Meditation helps me a little!! Just need more distraction therapy!!
    • Posted

It gets better. I'm only in 8 weeks total, first 3 weeks 30, then last 5 weeks 40. 4 weeks to go for 12 weeks on cit, 7 weeks to go for higher 40 dose. Gp thought 40 wouldn't be necessary, but can always reduce back to 30 if okay. This forum certainly helps with reassurance. I've seen some people saying it took 6 months before recovery.

• Posted

I'm on fifth week too, 26 days on 20mg 7 days on 30mg. Feeling reassured reading this forum. My location south coast England. 

• Posted

Hello Leticia,  since starting cit, I’ve had dry mouth for 5 weeks, an unpleasant jaw feeling, tightening headband type headache, urinating more than every hour, shortness of breath, the ‘jibblies’ as I call it all over my body, feeling exhausted all the time, muscles aching, ringing and hissing in my ears, this ‘disabling’ feeling making me not want to move, racing thoughts,  a few kaleidoscope images at night time, anxiety without fail every morning,  had an uncontrollable crying spells 3 days ago, I went from 20mg to 30mg 4 days before that however. I did get a prescription for diazepam but decided not to want to rely on it and ride out my mind when it got bad, I regretted this though however last week when I had a panic attack, again.  Right now I’m ‘wanting’ to write this ( a positive task ) and reach out.  I’m lucky my partner looks after me every day... I’m lucky to have her..... 
    • Posted

Your just going thru start ups again...thats quite normal.. why didn't you give 20more time? because going to 30is like starting all over again..

• Posted

I had all those side effects plus more they will start easing around the three or fourth month mark..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.