Why don't I understand my husband's addiction to alcohol?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi to everyone. I have been working at reducing my valium daily for several months now. I haven't always been successful but I'm still on track.

A week ago i also stopped smoking.

PROBLEM - my husband is dying due to alcoholism and I really don't understand why he has to drink it at all. He's been to three rehabs, walked out of two (pne after only 12 hours) and successfully stayed dry for six months in one. Needless to say he bought six cans on the way home once discharged.

WHY????????

Someone must be able to explain to me why people like alcohol. Peersonally I think it tastes disgusting and causes multiple social problems and violence, so what is the attraction?

All answers welcomed, even those telling me negative things about myself. I'm quite used to hearing them from my husband, anyway....

1 like, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello Tess,

I am sorry to know of your suffering, caused by your husband's Alcohol Use Disorder.  I don't know your children's ages, but they have suffered too.  

Your husband seems to have lost any hope of recovery.  I don't know if he is too damaged to benefit from the Selincro/Nalmefene medication, that I took to taper down my Alcohol Units daily.  I have now been Alcohol-free for 11 days.  

Your husband may not even realise the extent of the damage that he has done to you and your family.  

Good Luck in your reducing Valium.  I also hope that you keep really strong in your resolve to stay off the cigarettes...it is not easy !

My thoughts are with you.

Blessings,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

Thank you for your very kind message.

I really hope your recovery continues. I will try to get my husband interested intreatment but he just won't engage with any health professionals unless he is very drunk, so it's all a waste of time, and he has early dementia now asa well, so maybe it's tume to say goodbye.

I will try very hard to stick with the valium tapering and the not smoking.

I could use 20 fags right now! Luckily I haven't got any and the craving will go away. It always does.

• Posted

I'm replying to myself (have I gone mad, you're all wondering) just to say that I didn't go and buy cigarettes, and it's 01.30 in the morning, and I'm alone with four cats, if that makes sense, and I don't know where my husband is, but I haven't had a cigarette...........oh, and my heart is breaking with all your kind messages. Thank you, all of you.
    • Posted

Good for you for keeping your promise to yourself about smoking, especially under these conditions!

Stick with us, Tess. We'd like to be able to help you in whatever way we can. 

• Posted

Many thanks to you and everyone else.

You probably don't know how much you.ve all helped.

I still have a stupid idea in my head that just stopping buying cans of beer would be brilliant!!!!

For me.

• Posted

Went for a walk (from back door of house to front door of car) and managed to drive past many shops which sold fags.

Husband reappeared briefly this morning then disappeared again. I do not mean he is a phantasm, just that he wandes off unpredictably, especially when drunk - which is all the time, except whilst asleep, during which he fights demons which sound very scary and worry both of us. So he wakes up at three a.m. and has another can of beer before going back to sleep and fighting with whatever he is seeing yet again. He finds this very frightening and I always cuddle him and try to help, but I'm wide awake by this time. Finally at six a.m. we fall into an exhausted sleep from which neither of us wakes until noon. This cannot be doing either of us any good.

Some years ago I read an article written by a woman whose husband was  an alcoholic, and she said that she had made the decision to stick by him because he was ill. That helped me a great deal. I made the same decision which is why, years later, X and I ares still together, still fighting demons together, still loving each other, and (for me) counting down the months when he will finally be released from this torment.

• Posted

'still fighting demons together, still loving each other, and (for me) counting down the months when he will finally be released from this torment.'

Um, I hate to be the one to say things like this, which is why I kept this sort of stuff in the other thread last night. But he will get worse as he gets nearer the timer. He is likely to become confused through hepatic encephalopathy, because of the toxins going to the brain and the end stages aren't particularly pleasant.

He should at the very least be on lactulose for this. Thiamine, vitamin B compound and folic acid wouldn't hurt either, certainly the former would help with dementia. The lactulose helps to extract the toxins which the liver will have stopped doing.

• Posted

Gosh, I know all that already, but thank you for replying. I will take care of him until the end, no matter what happens. At least as he deteriorates I'll be able to get the doctor involved more. I'm not expecting a miracle cure but i want him to die with dignity and with any meds which will help him to be comfortable.

He's already quite confused but today I apologised  to him for not understanding his problems, which helped both of us a lot.

• Posted

Well, I hope you can enjoy some 'happy' time together. And maybe if you aren't at each other like cat and dog, it might be pleasant, as you perhaps understand each other better.

I understand that you know about the meds, but is he taking them, If nothing else, the thiamine and lactulose. From memory the thiamine tablet is small (I lose count of size and shape, as I take 9 meds a day) and lactulose is just like a thimble of honey which can be washed down with beer.

• Posted

He hates taking tablets - the only ones he takes without fail are ethe ones for his blood pressure. He forgets /ignores the diabetes medication which is probably a good think given the state his liver is in. He has COPD and never uses any of the inhalers, either. He does take paracetamol sometimes, for heaaches and joint pains, but not to excess. Nobody has yet suggested lactulose - I'm seeing our GP in two days and I'll ask her.

BTW I've tasted it and I think it's NASTY. Oh, I forgot - he takes thiamine if I remind him.  He has this strange idea that it will control cravings, so I'm not going to try to tell him what it's really for.

GP has put him on vitamin D3 as his levels were almost undetectable.

He only takes that if I remind him..........I've asked the GP and the pharmacist for a dossette box for him but although they always say WHAT A GOOD IDEA they still haven't produced the first one.

(Tess continues banging head on brick wall on behalf on husband.)

• Posted

'Nobody has yet suggested lactulose - I'm seeing our GP in two days and I'll ask her'

'In treating hepatic encephalopathy lactulose also works by reducing the absorption of ammonia from the gut. The liver normally breaks down ammonia, but in liver disease such as cirrhosis the blood may bypass the liver, allowing this poisonous substance to pass to the brain. Here it can impair brain function, causing confusion, drowsiness and finally coma. By acidifying the contents of the gut, lactulose reduces the absorption of ammonia from the gut, thereby preventing this complication of liver disease.'

It also makes sure all the toxins are dumped out on a regular basis.

• Posted

I know nothing about alcoholism. This popped across mental health. But i think you are dealing with a lot more then drinking here. You semed to have addictions yourself. So you know they are addictions and the body wants what it is used too. You stopped smoking a week ago right? Hopefully,it will last. Very smart choice by the way as you have an ill husband and kids to raise. Your husband has issues period. The alcohol is what he most likely used intially to stop his pain, whether he was nervous or miserable or depressed. Something was there. Now fast forward it..he has a disease and an addiction. His only coping mechanism he taught himself is drown it in alcohol so that what he is doing. He gave up. So thats why he didnt stop and is drinking now. We are creatures of habit at best. I dont know enough about your lives but this drinking must have been going on a long time, and throught you chose to stay,you chose to have kids. Why? Love? Need? Fear? My point is you chose to stay probably because its what you knew and a ton of emotions and such stopped you from walking out the door early on when you knew very well he was addicted to alcohol. Maybe you thought he could over come it, rehab and life would be great again. You now stick by your mans side which is lovely, but after the second fail or th third fail you still stayed.not judgeing you the vow is for better or for worse.  Right? Now he is ill and in poor health? he is one lucky person that you are there and he doesnt have to die alone in an alley somewhere. Lucky him. You cant fix someone else. Period. He dealt with his own demons the only way he knew how and eventually became very addicted to alcohol its a drug. It drugs a person. It has nothing to do with the taste at all. Thats his coping mechanism. Cigareetes dont taste good. Its a drug. Potent one. Its very sad. What you are now going through is extremly sad and hard and unfair on many levels. Of course youre angry who wouldnt be. You married under the hopes and dreams of spending your life with him and raising kids and growing old together. He betrayed you. Sadly he betrayed himself too. Addictions are very difficult to overcome especially if it your coping mechanism to lifes ups and downs and your own personal woes. Please stop thinking it the taste of the alcohol it is not! Its what it does in his system. I do congratulate on your first week of quitting smoking, thats extremly hard and takes a very focused attitude. Alcohol isnt like cigarettes though. Alcohol really alters your mind. I have nothing negative to say to you, you need a a HUGE  hug and someone to give you a lot of stregnth and encouragement. None of us can get in the mind or body of another person to understand whats going on or why they cant stop. I highly doubt he can explain it to you either.  The real decision here is how would you like to live out the rest of your life. Again i dont even have any experience with alcohol but i know others and see how addictions play out. If he doesnt want it bad enough nothing will ever change. Have you gone to an meeting about this with other spouses who are choosing to remain in their marriages? Do you have support to deal with all this yourself? Look your dealing with your addiction and recovery you could use support yourself and a lot of love here. If hes busy drinking away and degrading you ..you need to question yourself and what you feel you deserve in this life too. You cant always be another persons hero. Sometimes you have to be your own hero in your own life.
    • Posted

Paragrahps, what ever did they do to offend you?
    • Posted

Hahaha its not. My friends husband was in recovery for drugs and this is what they were saying to her. It made sense so i repeated a lot of it. 
    • Posted

None up here in sunny Warwickshire. But you can always nip on a bus to Golders Green.
    • Posted

Well, you hit the nail on the head, all right, paragraphs or not.

We had kids long before the addictions arrived.

I am in treatment for mine now and I am doing well - and that seems to be making him worse.

Interestingly, though, a couple of days ago I said "Oh, I wish I had a cigarette" and he was  on my case immediately (DON'T - YOU'VE DONE SO WELL)

So, is he jealous that my treatment is so far successful? It may not remain so! I mean, I truly hope it does, but nothing is certain in this life.

You're absolutely right when you say he can't explain it to me, e.g. 

Me: Please don't open that can. Surely ten is enough?

Him: But I did the dishes!

Me: What has that got to do with the amount you're drinking?

Him:  And I washed the floor!!!! You're never satisfied!!!!!

Me:  But we weren't talking about housework, X, we were talking about beer.

Him:  Ok, I won't wash up tomorrow. You can do it for a change.

Me:  Doing the washing up has nothing whatever to do with the amount you drink.........

Him:  DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!! YOU TAKE VALIUM!!!!!!!!

(Husband goes 'out for a walk' but does not in fact return for three days, drunker if possible than ever before............

If this rings any bells with any of you, that would help me a lot.

There are, of course, very serious underlying issues related to his childhood which I cannot disclose here. He has steadfastly refused to seek counselling ("BUT I'VE TOLD YOU!!!!!!! NOBODY ELSE NEEDS TO KNOW!!!!!!!)

Oh, I am so sick of alcohol. I am going for a walk. Right past the sweetshop (Memo to self - do NOT buy fags.......)

Thank you, Lisa and everyone else. I am overwhelmed with the amount of time you have freely given to me.

• Posted

'If this rings any bells with any of you, that would help me a lot.'

It's fairly simple (the problem not the solution) and it applies to many things in life, not just drinking alcohol.

Well, he obviously still cares about you and whilst he can't see a way out for himself, he is proud that you are doing something right. Some times not being able to do something manifests it onto a self projection, by supporting you, he is in his own way doing something. Of course doing something for himself would be far better.

So no, I don't think he is jealous, I think he probably inside feels sad, that he isn't doing the same for himself. This can cause a great amount of cognitive dissonasence and there is two ways to deal with that, solve the problem or block it out - you don't need me to explain that one.

The discussion over the housework is merely his way of justifying his drinking, if he has done something good, then he should be allowed to drink.

As for opening the 10th or 11th can, alcoholics know they have had enough, when they fall asleep.

• Posted

I could drive there in ten minutes. Why sit on a bus when you have a sixteen year old Skoda?
    • Posted

These threads get rather mixed up, don't they?

Thou canst not spell 'dissonance', but other than that I see exactly what you mean, and I have never thought about it like that before, so you are waking up parts of my brain which have tried to see logic where none exists.

At last AT LAST I understand all the comments about housework. I mean, that's amazing, after twenty five years of being bewildered by the non-sequiters. Of course, it makes sense now, and I can stop arguing with him about it. Yay!

Maybe it's'dissonence'? Not sure now - does it even matter?????

Thank you for your insights - they have helped me a lot. Truly. I am on my knees with gratitude to everyone who has helped me.

Could any of you tell my husband to stop drinking...................

I'm so sad for him.

• Posted

"These threads get rather mixed up, don't they?"

That's how I work around that one.

Nobody can tell him to stop drinking (in a way that would do any good), but we can show him that there's a relatively easy way out, so that might lower the threshold. Even if he'll come talk to us here or over at Options Save Lives, we can tell him about some of the ways of going about it. I'm not surprised that he refuses to do something that doesn't work for him in the first place, so maybe let's get some different options in front of him. 

It sounds like he's a maintenance drinker (basically drinks all day long, every day). How many cans does he go through per day? Are they pint cans? 

BTW, does he take any meds? 

• Posted

great forum!! you have learned a lot I think and I have read most of the replies and stunned who many and heart felt replies you have had!! live and learn. Robin
    • Posted

You're absolutely right. The support has been wonderful and the explanations for things I didn't understand have helped me (and him) a lot, because I'm noton his case all the time now.

Thanks again to you all.

• Posted

I'm wondering if he'd go for some kind of med that would help him cut back to where he was good with just a six-pack. You mentioned that he seemed much better when he could only get that much. 

I guess I'm hoping that his liver isn't as hopeless as the docs say. Has he seen a hepatologist? 

• Posted

No - he hid the letter with the appointment on it from me but I will make another. I'm not giving up.

By the way, I mentioned camprol to him and he said he'd had it (news to me -when and where did he get it????) and he also said it was useless.

Which just makes me think he didn't ACTUALLY want to stop drinking

His prognosis is approx 18months depending on how much alcohol he drinks - could be a lot less. He is very stubborn and refuses to go into hospital. I wish he's break his leg or something..........but I said that before.

Yes, on six cans a day he is pretty normal, but he feels that twelve is better and at least once a week disappears for a whisky binge in the park.

I have given up worrying - I am sad but all I can do support and try to help him and keep an eye on the children, who are all desolate, needless to say.  All your replies have been very, very helpful to me. Thank you for giving so freely and generously of your time.

• Posted

It's possible, I hear that Campral doesn't work for everyone, but who knows? Perhaps he didn't take it as directed, maybe he's just making it up or got confused? 

I'm so sorry you and your family are are having to bear this and truly hope that if at all possible, things soon change for the better. 

Whichever way it goes, think of us when you need some support. 

• Posted

Well, he SAYS he was given it in a rehab, but this seems unlikely, as you're supposedd to keep drinking wwhile you take it - or am I getting that mixed up?

He couldn't have made it up because he knew what it was as soon as I mentioned it and he is no expert on medications.

I do think of you all, all the time, and will be back when things get bad again - or maybe to give you the startling news that X has decided to have hospital treatment. Thank you for all your kindness - it reallt has helped me; it's calmed me down and a calmer me makes a calmer he, which can only be good. Mille remerciments. T.

• Posted

I'm glad we could help in some way!

RHGB knows more about Campral than I do, I'd thought you had to dry out for a week before starting it, but as I recall he mentioned that it can be used in the detox process as well. Perhaps it was only used for that and stopped because of some complication? Dunno. 

• Posted

You can take Campral at any time with anything, drinking or not. It is totally compatible with every thing. However it won't do you any good like that.

It is anti-craving, therefore when you have stopped drinking, say detoxed, it helps you to not relapse and helps with PAWS.

Ideally, you should detox for a week and take the Campral and then when your detox is finished, bearing in mind you won't have been drinking during detox, the Campral is up and running. It takes a week for it to dose up properly, which will have happened at the same time as your detox.

If there is a period between detox and taking Campral, you are at risk of relapsing. Campral is for those that want to work with it though. If you are insistent on drinking with it, it won't stop you. It will still having a numbing effect, so you could have a couple of pints and stop, but if you really want to push it, it won't stop you and there are no side effects to put you off.

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification!
    • Posted

Hi, and thanks for clarifying that. Now it makes sense - he did have a week's detox in a rehab and stayed there another two weeks before being moved to a larger rehab, so he must have had the campral when he was at the first one. In fact, the first one was solely for detox, then all the patients/clients got moved to a six-month rehab, which he completed successfully. That was nine years ago, and that was the one he came home from with six cans of beer added to his luggage. Since that rehab he has totally refused to go to another, although he was talking about a home detox (supervised by outreach workers) yesterday. He actually asked me to try to get him some chlordiazepoxide from an internet site but i flatly refused. I did suggest that we should go together to our GP and ask about a home detox - so at least he's giving it some thought - but I'm not going to nag him or anything. My greatest hope is that he'll go to the next Liver Unit appointment and be persuaded to stay in hospital for treatment, as this is really his only hope. We're running out of options here. Also, I bought a blood glucose monitoring kit which I started using (on him) today, and it is clear that the diabetes is totally out of control. This is not surprising as sometimes he doesn't eat for days, then when he finally does eat, it's never anything healthy. If he doesn't fancy what I'm cooking he makes himself a fry up. Excellent!!!! (Not.) Or he does the cooking and I am served with enough food for three people. Portion sizing? Well, I've discussed it with him but he doesn't seem to understand. I've got to the point now that if he eats anything at alll, I'm glad. It cannot be good for anyone, especially a diabetic, to live solely on beer. You're so good at explaining - thanks again for your input.
    • Posted

Well, that is a bright star that he is recognising that he should be looking for help.

I wouldn't have flatly refused the Librium request. I would have said, yes that is a great idea but can we not get it from the GP, as it would be safer. It's no, but in a different non negative way. He for the first time has said he wants help and you said no.

I know you're thinking, for flips sake I never said it like that or meant it like that. Doesn't matter, it is how it is interpreted. He may genuinely want to try to sort things, but it is just as easy for an alcoholic to say, bugger it, where's that ringpull, time to crack another can and forget that idea.

So, you need to go and blow on those embers and see if you can gently get the fire going again. I was going to suggest you going to the GP and getting it for him, but in hindsight that wasn't such a good idea. Under the circumstances I'm not sure how to move forward with that one. I doubt the GP wants to hand over benzos to yourself.

Don't leave it to hope, you have to come up with a plan. When is his next liver unit appointment?

Of course he won't eat for days, he doesn't need or want to, the alcohol is full of easy to digest carbs that his body will always grab first.

TBH, if he is living on nothing but carbs, his body craves fat and protein, which is exactly what a fry up is. Carbs from alcohol are so easy for the body to absorb, it gets used to non complex energy.

No, it is not good for someone to live on beer, which is just carbs. The body starts cannabalising itself for fat and protein. It washes out vitamins and halts production of them. The cirrhosis liver cannot use food for more than two hours. So gone are the days of a huge breakfast that will see you through to dinner, the liver will not metabolise it.

So you need to eat little and often. Also liver dmamaged alcoholics should have a small snack just before bed to see the liver through the night. Failure to follow his will result in even more fatigue.

And no, it's not good for a diabetic, but if you can get an alcoholic to give up alcohol, then these other things can be controlled/sorted out. But whilst the drinking is going on, they will never get sorted, the alcohol is the first priority.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.