Why don't I understand my husband's addiction to alcohol?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi to everyone. I have been working at reducing my valium daily for several months now. I haven't always been successful but I'm still on track.

A week ago i also stopped smoking.

PROBLEM - my husband is dying due to alcoholism and I really don't understand why he has to drink it at all. He's been to three rehabs, walked out of two (pne after only 12 hours) and successfully stayed dry for six months in one. Needless to say he bought six cans on the way home once discharged.

WHY????????

Someone must be able to explain to me why people like alcohol. Peersonally I think it tastes disgusting and causes multiple social problems and violence, so what is the attraction?

All answers welcomed, even those telling me negative things about myself. I'm quite used to hearing them from my husband, anyway....

1 like, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

drinking is a disease. you can't easily stop it and the chemical changes in the brain don't allow for easy withdrawal.  I am sorry for your husband because he can't decide to stop himself.  Sometimes though that will be the situation where the drinker cannot turn back to regain good health.  I hope he changes his mind about things before it is too late.

​rich

• Posted

Hi, Tess, very sorry to hear about your husband. Mine also nearly died from booze. But he got admitted to hospital and is here now 8 years later. RHGB has explained that for some people, booze delvers a huge rush of endorphins - happy chemicals - which we end up not being able to do without. So it's not so much the taste as the way the person's brain works, physiologically.

I do hope you are both able to get the help you need.

• Posted

Thank you so much for writing this. How did you persuade your husband to go into hospital? Mine has been offered but totally refuses to go.
    • Posted

Tess, if for no other reason than getting some support for yourself, perhaps try Al-Anon. There are regular meetings in the UK and it's designed for families of alcoholics. They may have some helpful ideas, at least some moral support. 

Is he even capable of getting alcohol by himself? 

• Posted

Yep. The other day we had no money. None at all. He was normal for a few hours until he borrowed a fiver from someone - it seemed to be his mission to get some money, somehow, even though I was being paid the next day. I found it startlingly desolate and pathetic. He 'only' managed to get six cheap cans that day and I haven't seen him that sober for many, many months. It was a lovely and short-lived treat for me. Oh, yes, he was determined to get money for booze - even said he'd go and beg on the High St. if necessary. I remember seven years ago he broke his leg and I enjoyed three weeks while he was alcohol-free. Then he forced himself to walk (far too early) on the plaster, because I refused to go to the off-licence for him. So now of course he has bad arthritis from not letting that very bad break heal properly, but he still struggles to the off-licence. I wish he'd be run over and incapacitated enough to have to stay in hospital. What a thing to be wishing for!
    • Posted

I hear your desperation, Tess. I also hear your love for your husband and that you want him back. 
    • Posted

I know you were jesting about wanting him run over. But the problem is, because his liver is in such a bad way, it is not producing the clotting proteins and it wouldn't surprise me if he is platelet count is sub 30 or even sub 15.

So he could probably bleed out before he got help. Yeah, they could give him a plasma transfusion like they did with me to try and stabilise him, but my count wasn't as low as that and I don't know if it would be effective enough.

• Posted

you have certainly been through a lot and so sorry to hear that your husband passed away. Long and hard road and you are brave to give us all good advice...    smile Robin
    • Posted

Er, I think he would be most disconcerted to hear that...

'Mine also nearly died from booze'

'But he got admitted to hospital and is here now 8 years later'

Don't ya just hate it that this forum doesn't have an edit button?

• Posted

He had a seizure - I called an ambulance - he had no choice - and he'd been feeling extremely well for some weeks
    • Posted

Ha! So I just have to TELL him he had a seizure - that would work - he doesn't know what's happening anyway.

Hmmmmmmmm. Let me consider that scenario for a few hours.

• Posted

Tuh! When I was menopausal (and that was indeed a long time ago) I threw fifteen plates at him.

They all missed, but he had to do a lot of clearing up ha ha ha ha ha.

Yes, ok, I threw the plates, so I should have cleared them up. But I refused categorically to do so   "STOP XXXXXXX DRINKING SO MUCH!!! YOU MADE ME THROW ALL THESE PLATES AT YOU!!!!!!! SO IT WAS YOUR FAULT, SO YOU CAN XXXXXXXXXX WELL CLEAR THEM UP OR I AM GOING TO THE SHED. FOREVER. GOODBYE"

He actually went to the shed (safest place) till my anger abated. i sat with a furious and strangely self-satisfied smirk on my face. It wasn't so self-satisifed when I realised that we had no plates to eat dinner off. How lame. Oh, well, every act has its consequences.........

• Posted

I would love him back - but NOT accompanied by a blue bag containing eight cans of beer.

I am now realising that I am asking too much of him. He is in a place where I cannot reach him any longer.

• Posted

Read it again - her husband is still alive!

So is mine -just. And thank you again for taking the trouble to write to me. It has helped me so much. Really, really, thank you.

• Posted

Actually and strangely, his platelets are fine.

How, I do not know.

• Posted

What do you mean when you were menopausal. You sound menopausal now! wink

Women. they can be frightening some times, so unpredicatable. Men are more chilled.

• Posted

It's not true. You are only 'chilled' as you put it, when you are drinking lots of beer.

Women can be scary at any time of the day or night and we're very proud of it. With or without beer!!!!!!

Ha!

• Posted

That is a huge sexist generalisation about the male population.

And you'll only get away with it here, because the forum gender balance is about nine women for each bloke.

Where it is a proven medical, genetic and statistical fact that women are hormonal and completely unbalanced, hence their generic name of Bunny Boilers. razz

• Posted

That should have said extremely UNWELL!
    • Posted

I didn't mean to be sexist. Or anything -ist. I was merely objecting to your generalisation that women are scary.

Interestingly, there seem to be equal quantities of men and women on this particular forum, all with different stories to tell, and all determined to help the others, including me. Since reading all these replies I have completely calmed down with my husband. I have finally realised that his drinking is not something he is doing on purpose to annoy me. I do wish he would accept some treatment in hospital, though...........

I have never heard the term 'Bunny Boilers' and may I point out that men have hormones in their bodies, too, hence their generic name of Drunken Nuisances. twisted

• Posted

I did wonder about that, H. I am very happy that he is still with you. Thank you for replying tto me - it has been very helpful.
    • Posted

No - is it a film? I don't like films - I always fall asleep, having paid ten weeks wages for whole family's tickets plus popcorn, drinks etc etc etc.

I imagine 'Fatal Attraction' is not suitable for children? It is of no consequence anyway, since they are all grown up now and can waste their own money rather than mine...............

• Posted

'I was merely objecting to your generalisation that women are scary'

It is not a generalisation, it is a well know fact, albeit one that women have a problem in comprehending. I mean, how many blokes do you see on HRT tablets?

QED

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.