Why I suddenly have more burning/acid reflux/gastritis

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor said that I may have gastritis. This happend about one months ago. I was taking H2 blocker and then some ppi, not working. Now 5 days ago he prescribed dexilant. All seems better with diet change, but last night, suddenly feels very acidic all night, including this morning. Even with Dexilant couldn't help the slight burn in my chest or throat. I wonder if this is gastritis flare up and how long does anyone know would this go away?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you been tested for H-Pylori infection...? I had this, and it caused acid reflux...needed antibiotics to clear it..

• Posted

I did a blood test, it came back negative. I know my mother got h pylori...and I used to live with my parents, not sure if it is contagious. She never told me she had this, untill last month I find out.

I actually wish it was h-pylori, so that I can be done with...now waiting endoscopy, but from Canada, referral to endoscopy will take a very long time. I just don't know how long I can last like this.....but thank you for your reply though.

Did your acid reflux went away, once your h-pylori was treated?

Maybe there is other bacteria that I need to be tested for? and I don't even know what.....

• Posted

you can get tested for H-Pylori with a stool test...its very accurate, and your GP would arrange...thats how I found out I had it....but it could also be Hiatas Hernia...so mayby a endoscopy is a good idea...to find out exactly whats going on...yes, my acid cleared up after a couple of months...but there are still things I cant eat...like tomatoes, raw onions, or spicey food...or veg that has not been cooked long enough and is still nearly raw...but gaviscon, or a rennie usually works...and I am putting on weight again...as I lost nearly 2 stone, over not eating..,I was so sick with the H-Pylori...Hope you find out soon..whats wrong. its a horrible feeling..

• Posted

Blood test may not show accurate result for h-pylori.

Endoscopy, breath-test show more accurate result for h-pylori.

• Posted

Thank you. For breath test, can I still take ppi or I need to come off it, in order to do breath test.

• Posted

For h-pylori test you must not take anything ( ppi, antibiotic etc ) that can give out a false negative outcome. So just stop it a week before, in fact ask the doctor how much time a ppi needs to stop it's effect. And then go for any h-pylori test.

• Posted

I had a stool test for h pylori which was negative. Stool tests are accurate too.

• Posted

Yeah, I was thinking the stool or breath test is the next best for me. Not sure for endoscopy, I mean, they take some stuff from your stomach, I hope they can do it right.

Although, I think, there are other bacteria I have heard of that is not good too ie SIBO . Not that I really wanted H pylori, but I want to make sure I just don't have it.

• Posted

My doctor tested me for h pylori without me asking. I can't have endoscopies because I can't tolerate the sedation. The only way it could be done would be by a throat spray. Even then, I don't know how a local anesthetic would affect me because I have sensitivities to that too. I have to ask for a different type of local anesthetic in the dentist because of these problems.

• Posted

Look up the benefits of drinking vinegar water

• Posted

I heard lots of good reviews about apple cider vinegar, but I suspect if I have inflammation of stomach ( hopefully not as far as ulcer)...I will need to wait untill everything healed up, then I think it might be a good idea to try the vinegar idea.

Thank you for that.

• Posted

Watch with vinegar because it is acidic and can cause more reflux for some people.

• Posted

Gastritis does flare up either with food triggers or stress. Keep trying your antacid, stick to a bland diet and try to stay as calm as possible. Try a food diary to find any food culprits and try some milk.All these things can help.The length of your flare up depends on the individual. There is no cut and dry answer to this because everyone is different.

• Posted

I was eating some wheat crackers and then introduced some bananas yesterday. I was craving sweet stuff, as I have a sweet tooth, so I ate like one whole banana and then , here it comes , the worst acid all night long. I don't even know if it was the wheat cracker or banana or both....now, I am staying away from either.

I rather have a peaceful day than anything else, even it means, not more desserts in the meantime!

• Posted

I would exclude these foods one at a time rather than both at once. Eliminating both means you won't be able to tell which one was the culprit. I would go back to trying a small bit of banana first to see if was the problem and if you get no trouble, build up to a whole one. If nothing happens after that, you will know it wasn't the banana.If you get symptoms, only then exclude it. Try the same with the wheat cracker. Trying out these foods separately is more likely to reveal which one is the culprit or both.

However, bananas are bulky and can cause indigestion. But not everyone is the same with this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.