Why is it so hard to get on citalopram? ?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm day 21 of getting back on to citalopram 20mg, I suffer mainly from health anxiety and worry about becoming ill or dying, I also have mild depression, I'm really suffering bad with side effects, this is my second time on this tablet and I'm never coming off again x

1 like, 579 replies

579 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Liz

I'm 8 weeks into 20mg for the second time for pretty much the same reasons you listed, constant health fears inc it happening to my family, mild depression & work stress.

I came off cit feeling great 6 months ago but crashed heavily 9 weeks ago and like you do not ever want to go through the horrific state I was in before taking cit the1st time & the hideous side effects once on them never mind having to go through the whole process again a second time.

I started feeling good again about 2 1/2 weeks ago so just hang in there for 2 or 3 more weeks and you will turn that corner I promise.

Yeh like you I do not want to go through the side effects ever again so considering staying on them for good.

Take care & let me know how you get on.

Carl

• Posted

Hi Carl, it's tough as he'll getting back on them, I think without sounding like a drama queen I've almost had every side effect going this time, the worst is heightened anxiety, no appetite and bad belly, how have I lost 2 stone in 21 days, had to change doctors this morning as my doctor laughed at me and told me too go home suck it up and come back in a month, my husband nearly punched him, I was also given 12 diazepam to help with the initial side effects and asked for just a few more and he said ooh sounds like someone is getting dependant on them, the answer is no x
    • Posted

Your doctors response is disgusting!!! Diazepam has been essential to me to get through these first few weeks, I've only taken 1 a day in the morning but they're truly a godsend. You need to report him, how dare he laugh 😞 I can honestly say these side effects have been the worst thing in my life to suffer through xxx
    • Posted

oh my God you all are not alone the side affects are horrible the second time around ..i was 3 weeks on 10mg then 4 days ago upped to 20mg but the burning anxiety that you feel like if have to run and cant breath...
    • Posted

Hi Carl, can you remember how many weeks it took for you not to feel so rubbish? xxx 
    • Posted

Carl, are you back on Cit after crashing off of it?   How fast did you come off?  If you went too fast you most assuredly were suffering from protracted discontinuation syndrome, which causes symptoms that doctors and patients perceive as relapse.  
    • Posted

Hi betsy

Yes was on 10 rising to 20mg from Oct 14 to April 15 = 6 months.

Became completely well again and tapered off over a months period coming off completely May 1st.

Still felt great but by middle of sept 15 I thought I was burning candle too much, sport, drinking & not enough sleep due wife snoring and tten crashed very badly.

I have never heard of protracted discontinuation syndrome do you have more information regarding it ?

I am not out of the woods yet & last couple of days been v rough and TBH gaving been through this twice now I never ever want to experience these awful feelings again so am seriously considering staying on cot for good.

Best regards

Carl

• Posted

Coming off over one month is way too fast!  It is sad that so many people decide to stay on a drug because coming off of it is so difficult.  The thing is, it doesn't have to be. Unfortunately, doctors are great at handing these drugs out as if they were as safe as candy, yet haven't got a real clue as to how to get people off of them safely.

When you go on the drug, the drug's action (serotonin re-uptake inhibitor for instance) causes an increase in serotonin in the synaptic gap between neurons; the brain and body's response to this is to create more receptors in an effort to regain balance.  I believe the side effects going on the drugs are due to that new imbalance, and that people finally start to feel better once the increase in receptors has restored balance.  The serotonin imbalance hypothesis has never been proven to be true.  In fact, there are people with high serotonin levels that are depressed!  But, the doctors keep using that explanation to get people willing to take the drugs.

Anyway, when you reduce the drug so fast, you have an imbalance again, and the body must prune back the number of receptors to restore balance again.  Unfortunately, this can be a slow process, and the doctors are usually having us taper much faster than the body can keep up with .  They often have us make a 50% cut, which is a huge amount to adapt to, and then a week or two later have you cut another 50%, and the neurons just can't keep up with that and you end up with horrid WD!

You can learn all about how to safely taper off of antidepressants at survivingantidepressants, a forum for people dealing with getting off ADs of all types, moderated by experienced folks who are more knowledgeable than the docs on this.  I would strongly advise taking a visit there and possibly creating an intro.  When you join, those who have experience with your drug will chime in, and they are very supportive.

So, at any rate, you should stabilize on your current dose for a couple of months before trying again.  But, getting off is very doable following their guidelines of a slow taper.

Long term AD use does shorten life expectancy, a proven fact, and we tend to not notice the negative impact they have on our health, a process coined as "spellbinding:"  We tend to see those subtle changes as due to something else, like aging, when in fact they are caused by the drug.  It's the old frog in hot water analogy.  For me, I didn't realize that my clumsiness dropping things, like my hands didn't work well, was due to the drugs.  Also, my horrid tooth grinding at night, causing major bone loss and gum recession, is also a side effect!  Periodic body zaps that I thought were just normal, mild ringing in the ears, insomnia, and uncontrolled twitches, all side effects.  And of course there's the sexual side effects! There is a syndrome caused by ADs called tardive dyskinesia, as well.  So, these drugs are not as benign as we are led to believe.

Taking them is an individual choice to be respected, but while doing so one should be informed of the possible negative repercussions of doing so as well.

• Posted

I am on day 4 of taking Citalopram 10 mg. I have never been on anything before except an occasional xanex. I am a stage 3 breast cancer survivor and I just reached the 2 year mark from my inital diagnosis. The medical anxiety is overwhelming. It is interferring with my life. Dr. just prescribed this medicine for me to help with my anxiety and panic attacks.  

It is only 4 days I know. Day 1 headache, VERY tired, foggy and NO appetite. Day 2 foggy, tired, stomache. Day 3 headache in one spot, neck ache and GAS. Day 4 VERY foggy head and BAD acid reflux ( WHich I already had but was under control).  PLEASE tell me these side effects will subside and that I will feel better. My anxiety is better, but not gone. 

• Posted

Thank you Betsy, I have been looking for this kind of info for ages. I have been tapering off since Feb, both my GPs asked "why do you want to come off antidepressants"? !!!! I have been on cipramil for nearly 20 yrs, have tried again and again to come off, but the withdrawals are always too bad and i end up going back on them. I have done both tapering off slowly, quicker, and cold turkey. None of them worked. From 40mg, I am now on 10mg one day and 5mg next day. This has made me worse, and I might go back on 10mg a day till after xmas. Today I almost feel like going back on them as I feel so bad, and NOBODY understands, or realises how awful it is, esp my doctor. I have fibromyalgia and IBS and a few other things too, which are all flaring up too. I can hardly believe my body will ever be able to function normally again! When your doctor doesn't remember what ailments you have and what drugs (that he prescribed) you're on, it doesn't give one confidence in them. 20 yrs is a long time for my body to be in that state, is there hope?! I am going to get on to the website you recomended and try and get lots of support over this period, it seems a crying shame to go back on them now after 9 months of suffering. I just wanted my life back, and maybe the odd orgamas or two. Ha ha
  • Posted

I'm on day 20 of cit and my side effects have been dreadful I have lost a stone in weight, can't eat, disturbing thoughts, awful dreams (that's when I can actually sleep. I can't watch any news or read magazines as they scare the hell

Out of me The morning have been horrendous my family have had to take my little girl to school for the past 2 weeks as I just can't face it but the mid morning and afternoons are getting slightly better. I hate being on my own with the children incase something happens to them or me (like fainting or dying) it's just awful, I've been on and off them for 8 years so I know they definitely work just takes time xx

• Posted

Hi sparkly, it's the waiting isn't it, and people just don't understand, thankfully I have a very supportive husband and my mum has come to stay for 3 weeks, it helps to know you are not alone, I'm always here for a chat xx
  • Posted

To repeat others response above Diazepam has been so helpful to me also.

Just take it & not worry about getting addicted - been through it twice as said & most I have taken is 2 x 5mg a day for 3 days running.

3 weeks solid 3 x a day is supposed to be the max before addiction can set in - SO DONT WORRY.

Also my wife snores terribly & I have on occasions taken 5mg Zolpidam sleeping tablet which again is really difficult to get addicted to & has helped me & so many others get that good sleep that your brain needs more than anything else.

Ask your new Dr for both & don't be afraid to take them.

Carl

• Posted

Is anyone else finding morning's really hard, I don't seem to be able to do anything until about 11-12 x
    • Posted

Omg I was just logging on to write exactly the same! I hate mornings so much, what day are you on (I prob should know sorry) I'm on day 20 and feeling so miserable, it feels like I'll be like this forever 😞 xxx
    • Posted

Hi Marfa, day 22 of 20mg, sitting here debating whether to take 2mg of diazepam, every morning I'm shaky and anxious, have a rough cough and feel spotty, sorry if that's too much information x
    • Posted

Snotty not spotty lol
    • Posted

I resorted to 2mg diazepam and I'm much better than earlier, bit jittery but could be worse xx oh no maybe you've got a cold too, that's not fair! xxx
    • Posted

are you on or off the drugs? I find it hard in the mornings too, but I do on or off. I have learnt to adjust my life to late mornings and lots of sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.