Why is it so wrong?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Why is suicide so wrong? If my family and friends love me, why wouldn't they understand the need to end my life?

I don't have any religion, faith or spirituality. I believe we are just a random bunch of cells, just like every other living thing on this planet. When our cells stop receiving oxygen they die, we die. There is nothing left behind. We just die.

Why is suicide such an awful thought to people? I'd like to think that if someone I love was feeling like this with no hope of ever feeling better, that I would be at peace with their decision and would understand and support it. Surely to condemn them to decades more of unbearable pain just for them to eventually die of something else is just plain cruel?

I don't want to manage this illness. I don't want to learn how to cope. I want it to STOP. Why is that so wrong?

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lucy - sorry to read of what you are going through. Unfortunately suicide is not really a personal decision. It has impacts on those around you who love you. Common thoughts for survivors are 'What did i miss?' 'What could I have done differently?' 'Did she do it because I didn't do (insert event/conversation/action) differently?' Some will spend a lifetime wondering and/or blaming themselves. It can be especially hard for children who have an innate ability to blame themselves because mummy's gone. It is also exhibiting behaviour that they may emulate as adults to escape pain and suffering. 

In this day and age there are avenues one can explore to challenge and understand suicidal ideation. There is no life that is not without pain, trials and tribulations, and suicide is a thought that will be considered by many at some time in their lives. I am one of those - even to the extent of writing letters to all those I would have left behind, cleaning the house from top to bottom and paying all the bills. The uppermost considerations that prevented the completion of the act was that i had not explored and understood my illness, that I had not utilised the avenues open for doing that (as painful, uncomfortable and confronting as they are), and that I felt that there were good elements to me as a person that would be a shame to lose. Further than that - and different from your perspective - was the spiritual element, that there was a possibility I would have to repeat the exercise of this life in even more difficult circumstances because i had breached the agreement to experience this life.

I hope you find some relief in the journey you are now taking. Accepting help is not a weakness, it's a strength; it takes courage and fortitude. You will need to open up about everything to the professionals who are there to help you. Hiding things can sabotage your recovery. There is a payoff in all this - learning about yourself, and being triumphant over the debilitating and cruel illness that is depression. You are lucky to have a hubby to help you through. Hang in there Lucy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.