Why isn’t anyone talking about Technis Eyhance?

Posted , 55 users are following.

looks like technis eyhance is awesome. it is giving good intermediate with no rings and glare and halo. the diopter transition seems smooth. why isnt anyone going gaga over it?

it will also have no glare for folks with large pupils. being technis its will also make its way to US/CANADA.

5 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I may have been one of the first to post about the Tecnis Eyhance.

.Looks like Danish_Viking has found some more info.It is as I expected, Tecnis Eyhance will be at a lower price point than Symfony, and will not has quite as broad a range of vision as the Symfony but will have lower risk of dysphotopsia. To the naked eye, the Eyhance lens looks the same as the Tecnis mono-focal.

I would think that if it is as good as it seems, that it could dominate the mono-focal category.It might cannibalize some sales from Tecnis Symfony, so net positive for J&J may be weakened a bit.

I don't think it will impact the premium IOL market too much, because people who want to have good vision at near, intermediate and distance will be willing to pay extra for a premium lens, particularly since the newests premium lens seem to have less dysphotopsia.

The Tecnis Eyhance was only just released in Europe earlier this year. So knowing how these things work, it'll likely be a few years before it comes to Canada, and then the US. Although perhaps because it's a mono-focal, the approval process could be faster.

• Posted

yes u were. for this and the 7mm iol. i want more people sharing their experience on it.

• Posted

I appreciate your input from the technical perspective to help balance what some of these studies are saying. If they are using the same marketing people and trial investigators as they used for Symfony, I would be especially skeptical! I wonder if Eyhance had to go through a full trial and if so, where that information is. While it may not be a game changer, it may cause people like myself to reconsider going with this monofocal in conjunction with a symfony. These conflicting views are also what makes the IOL selection process so confusing and distressing for many patients too. My doctor was leaning towards a monofocal anyway so it will be interesting to get his take on it as well.

• Posted

Since Eyhance and Symfony both are made by Tecnis, I am sure they are marketing the Eyhance in the same way as the Symfony, and are equally untrustworthy.

But this goes for all manufacturers, and since all of us only have two eyes, we really have no way of comparing all the lenses 😃

If I was going for monofocal, I would choose the Eyhance as well, why not take what we can get, but a skilled surgeon and precise measurements are really bigger factors.

If you have the Symfony in your dominant eye now, I don´t think you will feel much difference wether you get Symfony or monofocal in the second eye, many experience that they mostly get the side effects from the dominant eye.

But let us know what your surgeon says about the Eyhance, would be interesting to from an opnion from a surgeon.

• Posted

I have the symfony in my non-dominant eye so hopefully i could get some better contrast during the day plus not exacerbate the issues at night with a monofocal. Don't get me wrong, during the day the symfony is hard to beat and I assume two would make daytime even better but make nighttime worse, so I know this is all about deciding which trade-offs you want to live with, at least in theory.

• Posted

john, i am in the same boat as you albeit with worse night time symptoms due to larger pupil. so i understand where you are trying to get to.

• Posted

These thing are very individual, off course only you know what is best for you.

I have read an article from a surgeon. who also makes lens exchanges, although it was not that often because of side effects.

But when people had severe visual side effects with two multifocals they could not live with, normally he only changed the multifocal in the dominant eye with a monofocal, and then the side effects are gone immediately in almost all cases.

So the dominant eye is also setting the scene when it comes to side effects, I really don´t think you risk a lot with another Symfony, but off course you should go for a monofocal if that is what feels right for you, maybe you would even have the Symfony changed at some point.

Testing have shown, that people in most cases gain 40% extra contrast when both eyes are seeing at the same time, but I guess it depends like everything else.

• Posted

I already had the YAG done on the symfony eye and unfortunately it made the glare worse--go figure, so i am stuck with that. But what you are saying is interesting and seems to indicate that a monofocal in my dominant eye is the way to go based on that surgeon's experience. If the dominant eye drives vision quality and my non-dominant eye already has bad rings and glare then it would seem like another symfony would be a bad idea, which is the feedback I received from some doctors. Of course others say they work better together and don't recommend mixing. I was even thinking that if another symfony made it worse then i could do an exchange to a monofocal but i would rather not have to go through that if possible.

• Posted

Sorry, I miss-read your earlier post.

Yes, you are absolutely right, if you have the Symfony in your non-dominant eye, it should very much keep the side effects down to a minimum with a monofocal in the dominant eye, this is exactly how the surgeon I mentioned explained it.

Mixing iols have been used for many years, and it works great for many, but you are right that some types of iols do not mix well, but I guess the surgeon should know all about that, there are many designs of monofocals as well.

I am sorry you are stuck with a bad result, I guess that is what we are all affraid of.

And I agree, we don´t want to put in an iol that needs changing...

• Posted

That is my concern too John about YAG. I have enjoyed good vision with Symfony snd just noticing LE likely has a bit of PCO or perhaps astigmatism has increased. Need ti gave it checked out but really not wanting a YAG - and won't as long as vision is good with both eyes open.

• Posted

Sorry, I think i keep responding to the wrong person. Just wanted to add to my last comment, if that surgeon swapped out the symfony in the dominant eye for a monofocal and had the symptoms disappear, then i would expect that i wouldn't have any issues as I still have my natural lens in my dominant eye now and i had problems from day one with the symfony--go figure.

• Posted

I agree, that would be logical, maybe you are one of the unlucky few, which doesn´t help you at all.

I hope you it all turns out somehow for you....

• Posted

I just called the company and the rep had never heard of it. I was asking 'When will it be available in the US?' but .... if THEY don't know... who would??

It is now in Europe.

I"m not sure I can follow the descriptions below, but I will try.....

• Posted

I just called the company and the rep had never heard of it. I was asking 'When will it be available in the US?' but .... if THEY don't know... who would??

It is now in Europe.

• Posted

It is now in Europe.

• Posted

funny i emailed them today about availability of synergy in the us and they would offer it without the blue filter.

• Posted

What's synergy?

New trifocal IOL by Johnson and Johnson. The makers of your Symfony IOL.

• Posted

hi just curious, why would they offer synergy without the blue filter?

• Posted

so that tecnis symfony, monofocal and multifocal monocular implantees can match it with the synergy without the color difference between two eyes and stay in the tecnis family.

the blue filter optiblue was offered with Symfony only in Japan. even the symfony plus will be optiblue so chances of that happening look slim.

• Posted

Okay that makes sense. Just waned to check no other reason that i should be worried about as have just had both eyes done with synergy! But totally agree with all comments about companies only making public what they want you to know. They say less undesirable effects with synergy but the truth of the matter is that there are unpredictable outcomes for everyone be it temporary or long term. You have to be mentally prepared for such a procedure in order to be able to cope with the outcome which is very played down by surgeons.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.