Why isn’t anyone talking about Technis Eyhance?

Posted , 55 users are following.

looks like technis eyhance is awesome. it is giving good intermediate with no rings and glare and halo. the diopter transition seems smooth. why isnt anyone going gaga over it?

it will also have no glare for folks with large pupils. being technis its will also make its way to US/CANADA.

5 likes, 207 replies

207 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hi All,

Any real world/patient experience/s with Tecnis Eyehance yet?

My 3rd ophthalmologist 'Dr Genial' is recommending OcuLentis Comfort 15 and while I'm not receptive to this option ( two recalls etc) and still 'focused' on MMV it would be nice to have another 'EDOF' option?

DonD

• Posted

No personal experience with oculentis but think I read recalls were for serious issues. Opacification of lens itself. If looking for EDOF lens the atLARA and Symfony have much better results.

• Edited

Hi Sue,

Thanks for that input and have read about lenses you mention but am more interested in the these new 'EDOF' options like the Eyehance.

These seem to be more Monofocal but with an add/boost in the intermediate range. Hence seemingly without the potential issues of dysphotopsia?

My 4th ophthalmologist who I just saw and let's call him 'Dr Courageous' himself had two (2) OcuLentis Comfort implanted and is very happy with the outcome although with some minor dysphotopsia. One +15 and one +30 so kinda has a Monovision EDOF solution with a near add from what I understand? 😕

He also said he did an Eyehance implant the same day for a client but unfortunately too soon to know what the outcome and their experience may be! 😦

Anyway, if anyone does have any real world knowledge or experience with these new 'EDOF' like the Eyehance it will be interesting to hear from them.

Regards,

DonD

• Edited

Hi

I have no experience with Eyehance, but I have been interested in this as well. And sorry to say, but Tecnis is overselling this one a lot, it is not a gamechanger or whatever they call it.

It is not to be compared with edof or other premium lenses at all, the Eyehance is a monofocal with a slightly more flat defocus curve, it only makes about 0.25 more diopter in the usable range over a standard monofocal.

I agree, why not take it if it is possible, but many other things are bigger factors than the 0.25 it makes.

Also, it is not quite as sharp at is best, as a common monofocal, the defocus curve shows a slightly more lower top with the Eyehance.

About the Oculentis comfort - I can fully understand why the surgeon suggest this one, I was not really comfortable with the lens material either, and the surgeon I chose did not use this this brand at all, but if they did not have had those problems some years back, the Oculentis would have been my first choice too, and frankly I am still sometimes thinking, that they might had been a better choice for me.

The Oculentis do not have any contrast loss over monofocals as other premium lenses have, so you really get maximum out of your vision with these, and at the same time get the benefit from the bifocal design.

Eyehance is just another type of monofocal, it gives false hopes with the aggressive marketing that Tecnis have made about these.

• Posted

I am planning for a cataract surgery on both eyes soon.

May I ask where I can find pictures showing the night vision effects (starbursts, halos, glares...) arising from EDoF lens vis-a-vis monofocal lens for a clear understanding of the extent of the issues that I’ll have to face with EDoF lens?

Thank you folks.

• Posted

Is anyone else concerned that the lens material is hydrophobic acrylic with sharp square edges? My fear is that the Eyhance could cause glare reflection problems for people (like me) with larger pupils. From my understanding a silicone lens has a better refractive index & is less likely to cause this type of issue. Also the advantage of the square edge design is reduced time to PCO but it has a higher chance of generating reflections compared to round edge. The combination of acrylic + square edges turns me off on this IOL.

• Posted

isn't bausch and lomb softport the only silicon lens and the only one with round edges?

• Posted

I believe the Sofport has a square posterior edge but the anterior edge is round. I would be surprised if it was the only silicone lens on the market.

• Posted

i do not know then. i was assuming it since sofport L161A0 is the lens of choice during exchange to eliminate positive dysphotopsia.

• Posted

I found an interesting article that talks about the terminology confusion surrounding EDOF IOLs. They propose some pure and hybrid terms for the different types. In their evaluation the Eyhance is a pure spherical aberration based EDOF. They describe this type as "Inducing spherical aberrations in EDOF IOLs means that incoming light waves are extended in a longitudinal plane. The elongated focus eliminates the overlap of near and far images, and theoretically eliminates the halo effect. The tradeoff is a decrease in the quality of the retinal image, which limits their performance as there is a degradation of the visual quality. This is why the near vision capability is usually limited to about 1 D."

"TECNIS Eyhance ICB00 (Johnson and Johnson Vision, Jacksonville, FL). Although this IOL could be categorized as a monofocal IOL, it offers a smooth and continuous progression of its power from periphery to the center, with no demarcation line (Fig. 2C). It aims to present the distance performance and minimum photic effects of a monofocal (ZCB00) while providing intermediate vision at 66 cm and compensating for spherical aberrations in the cornea. It is a single-piece hydrophobic acrylic IOL wit a 360 degree posterior square edge. The refractive index is 1.47, and clinically it leads to an improvement in intermediate-distance vision when compared to monofocal IOLs. Regarding defocus, measurements indicate that the TECNIS Eyhance IOL has a larger “landing zone” than the TECNIS Monofocal IOL, and provides excellent (20/20) distance vision."

They categorize the Tecnis Synergy as a "Hybrid MF Refractive-Diffractive/EDOF IOL", with the following description:

"Synergy: ZFR00 (Johnson and Johnson Vision, Jacksonville, FL) is a bifocal combined with EDOF technology for intermediate vision with potentially better visual continuity than trifocal lenses (Fig. 6C). It features a wavefront-designed aspheric surface and keeps the CAs corrections offered on the Symfony. Its posterior surface is diffractive with 15 rings."

You should be able to find this article with the following search:

extended depth-of-field intraocular lenses an update asia-pacific journal of ophthalmology

• Posted

Hi,

I am Eduard, from Europe, Spain.

I have my surgery with Tecnis Eyhance next december in the two eyes.

-9.0D in right eye and -10.0 in left eye, with no significant astigmatism (<0,7 in one eye).

I will do mini-monovision of -1.5D in my non dominat eye (the left). First I will do the surgery in my dominant eye (right) and 4 days after the left.

My idea is to have a very good intermediate vision (I work with a PC) and I hope dont have problems driving by night. No problems to wear glasses for near distance for read.

We will see... I hope goes well!

• Posted

Interesting. I believe the Eyhance provides about 1.5 D for reading, and if you do 1.5 D of monovision, that should be a total about 3.0 D, and enough to read quite close.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.