Why random anxiety attacks?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi guys,

I have been doing really well over the last 3 weeks. I believe most of that is because of the medication I have been on.

I have had no panic attacks, nausea, heart pulpitations, sweaty palms and chest and not waking up with anxiety. I seem to stop meditation, excerices, eating healthy and my phychologist when I feel better. I dont think this is a good thing but I seem to cut corners when I feel fine.

Just when I let my guard down, anxiety decides to rear its ugly head for no reason. Its like it wants to remind me that its still there and not to forget it.

Today, I felt my chest, feet and arms tingle and become hot. Heart pulpitations, nausea creeping in. Yep, a panic attack is coming... but why?

I started to write on this forum and it seems to have subsided. Maybe writing is distracting me?

Why does this happen? Life is great. The only thing I can think of is being alone tonight as my partner has to work and I've felt a little yuck in my tummy, partially because I ate eggs Benedict for breakie and I have PMS. Could PMS be causing it or hightening it? This is the first time I have had my period since having anxiety.

I hate this, it makes me feel weak and no control 😢

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Setbacks happen and random panic attacks absolutely happen. It will be lifelong but dont fear the fear and it will subside again. They can go away for spans at a time as well. Its connected to sensory processing. Most people with panic attacks are prone to sensory processing disorders. They just are. Never stop meditiation or mindfullness its healthy and useful always.that way hopefully you can keep yourself below the anxiety attack threshold. It will pass again. PMS  or any change in hormone levels can absolutely trigger it.
    • Posted

most definately lisa im menapausal and whats that about ? the dreaded hormones ive never suffered this bad and it wasnt til the doctor casually told me i have the menapause 
    • Posted

They watched me go thru peri and post menapsue and never mentioned it to me. I look back and that was really cruel. Its too late now im post menapausal. Still get symptoms that stink i think they are symptoms..i dont even know. I think having anxiety it all gets so confusing at times whats what. The sweats and dizzy are definitely hormone related. That was different from the normal anxiety i knew. Funny i feel like an idiot looking back how i passed thru all that and had no idea. I found out when i asked for my bloodwork, i read it on the sheet.said post menapausal. I know my periods stopped that was obvious but i wasnt aware of the symptoms stuff. My sister in law had no symptoms so i thought wow i got lucky.  Its as if not one doctor cared at all..all men maybe thats why. I dont know.  I would never have used hormone replacement anyway. Heard too muvh about issues with that too so i guess it doesnt matter now anyway. Its all done.
    • Posted

Thank you Lisa. You're right, I need to continue to do these things to get better.xx
  • Posted

I experience higher anxiety when I'm pmsing. It's the hormones messing with us sad
  • Posted

Lind, you have described part of the problem when saying that you relinquish meditation/exercise/healthy eating/doctor when you are feeling on top of things. 

I have to join Lynnes party of poopers by adding that this is a life-long condition. One must maintain the methods that have proved beneficial in your particular situation. It's like the misnomer diet - there is no diet. It's a life change and it requires considered application until it becomes a habit. 

As a mere male I could only imagine what PMS is like, but hormones ebbing and flowing definitely would be a part of ones mental condition.

That last line - you are not weak. You have shown strength by tackling the issue. Many people can't or won't and live a crippled life as a result. And you are not alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.