Why so much bleeding after rectocele repair surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

16 days ago I had rectocele, enterocele repair and tvt.  Unless I lie down constantly, I keep bleeding.  It's bright red but no clots. I'm going through about 8-9 pads per day.  The first week after surgery, I wasn't getting as much bleeding and I was not resting as much.  Did I overdo it?  What's normal bleeding and how long does it last? Thanks for any feedback. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Connie68440

I had rectocele repair along with hemorrhoidectomy August2014. I had lots of pain and swelling inside as well as outside. I was in the OR each month following the surgery for approximately two months. I couldn't understand the pain. I had hemorrhoid surgery. Back in 2000. I didn't remember any discomfort post op. I kept complaining and they kept cutting and on the last cut even my sphincter muscle was severed. I don't think your bleeding is normal as I didn't have any bleeding even with all that was happening around in and out of the area. I had sex eight weeks post op and that made muy prolapse surgery fail. Even than I had no anal bleeding or vaginal. Please seek medical advice immediately and if your doctor isn't listening find one who will. Wish you all the best. Doctors tell us even with our periods soaking that many pads is not a good thing. Don't be shy and complain cause its your body and your health. Good luck. Hope I have helped.

• Posted

Hi ,I had heavy bleeding and clots so I know what you must be feeling scare and in pain ,call the ward where you had you surgery ,ask to talk to one of the nurse or Dr,s from that dept. or go to see you Dr .bright red bleeding is not good and should settle down , but for peace of mind ,get looked at good luck x
  • Posted

Connie I don't think you should be bleeding as much as this. I suggest you get in touch with either your GP or your consultant.
  • Posted

Connor, agree with matron-this sounds excessive and is lasting too long. Linda
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I sent a message to dr. She said to decrease my activity. So for past 3 days I've been lying down except to use the bathroom and eat dinner. Breakfast and lunch in bed. Bleeding has decreased some, maybe half as much. How long did any of you have bleeding? What was your activity level during recovery? I feel like this will never end. I'm supposed to be flying to see my elderly parents in 2 wks. I don't think I'm going to be able to do it. I thought by 1 month I would've been ok. Boy, did I underestimate the recovery time for this!
    • Posted

I rested a lot the first few weeks. Actually I was too weak to do much - even taking a shower exhausted me.  If your flow is decreasing since you've been resting, that's a sign that you need to continue to rest.  Can you delay your trip?  You may be able to change your flight under these circumstances...
    • Posted

Thanks Raesue. What did you have done and how long ago? Are you recovered and was it worth it? I'm not so sure it was a good idea at this time! I just didn't realize resting meant constantly in bed!
    • Posted

I was too weak to do anything for the first 4 weeks if I remember rightly. Luckily for me my husband had retired and he looked after me. If I had a shower I had to rest afterwards and I had very little bleeding at all. I honestly don't think you'll be well enough to fly and even if you do feel stronger, speak to your consultant because it's often not advisable to fly so soon after surgery because of the risk of thrombosis.
    • Posted

I had rectocele repair with mesh.  It was at the end of December..  I'm still recovering - didn't realize the surgery was as extensive as it was.  It was well worth it considering it solved my incontinence problem.  I'm still working on how it's affecting my love life with my hubby...
    • Posted

When you say you're still recovering, do you mean you're still in pain or tire easily or the love life part of things? Or all of the above? Wow, that's 7 mos. I'm so glad it solved your incontinence problem, that's great! Guess I need to focus long term and quit whining. I feel like such a wimp! I'm not good at lying around....
    • Posted

Yeah, you're probably right about the flying. What did you have done and how long ago? Was it worth it ? Thanks for your comment. Really helps to know I'm not alone.
    • Posted

I had a rectocele repair 5 years ago and I definitely think it was worth it but it does take a while to recover. It was about 6 months post op I started to feel less tired and more my usual self. I wasn't in pain for all that time just feeling a bit run down. 
    • Posted

I still have pain - with intercourse.  The doc sewed me up too tight apparently.  I have a very patient spouse.  He is expecting it'll take a few more months... After about  four months, I think, I wasn't as tired.  Yes you do need to focus on "down the road".  If you have some kind of hobby, it would help.  It isn't a hobby but I went through years of old magazines, cut out articles...
    • Posted

Drs really shouldn't say recovery takes 4-6 wks. What a joke! More like 4-6 mos. Thanks for your comments. Really helps!
    • Posted

You are absolutely right connie. I have yet to see a woman fully recovered in such a short time. Take it easy and rest as much as you can. That way your body will recover quicker.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.