Why would rectocele not be repaired

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi ladies just wondering if anyone had a cystocele repair but the rectocele was left , I recently had an anterior repair and when I woke from surgery was told I had minimal rectocele that they left but surely it would've been better to do both at same time rather than have to go through another surgery at some point x

1 like, 62 replies

62 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Helen, I had a cystocele repair last month and had signed an agreement for rectocele repair as well if needed (though unlikely from examination). However, during consultancy in morning of my op, was told by consultant that if rectocele repair was needed, he would not do them together as risk of adhesion between front and back vaginal walls. Perhaps decision was made based on this and severity of rectocele? Hope you are recovering well otherwise x
    • Posted

I signed form for pelvic floor repair and surgeon said that means anything needing repaired will be repaired, but when I woke she said I had minimal rectocele as it was minimal they left it , but surely over time it will get worse like the cystocele did xx
    • Posted

That's exactly what I'd signed for and when I woke up I was told I hadn't needed the post repair or the SSF. Can only assume they'll do what's needed and don't anything unnecessary. My op was only yesterday and given how sore I'm feeling I'm glad I just had two done
    • Posted

Good comment happy hen! Imagine that your meshes stick together arrgggg! I didn't thing about that! Good point!!!!!
    • Posted

Sorry Hijadeonagro why would meshes stick together when they are often not used and only for one type of prolapse anyway?
    • Posted

I don't know Matron, but the comment of Happyhens' doctor sounds very reasonable, as the function of the mesh is giving support through generation of new fresh tissue. In fact, adhesions are normal in these surgeries, in my case, my mesh had adhesions with my posterior wall tissue (my physio is treating that). Then if there are two meshes together face to face both generating collagen and new tissue, I think adhesions between meshes could be possible. Of course anterior and posterior wall are not together, but in some positions they are. I will ask my gyn in my next app, meanwhile don't take my comment too seriously. Just trying to understand! Big hugs!
  • Posted

I'm guessing they left it because it was minimal.  Maybe they thought the risks of fixing it outweighed the benefits?
  • Posted

helen a rectocele repair is the most painful of all pelvic floor repairs and as yours was minimal had you not had a cystocele then I doubt your Urogynaecologist would have operated. A minimal rectocele is unlikely to cause you any problems and by strengthening the pelvic floor muscles around your bladder it is unlikely to get worse. However having said that if your rectocele had been causing problems and your consultant was aware I would want an explanation. Hope that helps 
  • Posted

Hi Helen.I had the reverse to you. Had a rectocele repair but had a cystocele too that they didn't repair.It got progressively worse after I had the flu last year and got a really bad cough.Had 2 pessaries but both fell out so am now relying on pelvic floor exercises to keep it where it should be.All well at present but am sure I'll need another op in the future ,which I'm not looking forward to. Hope yours doesn't progress to this x
  • Posted

Hi Helen,

I down for anterior repair only, although I had been having problems at posterior end. They said the problem I was having was caused by prolapse of front wall.

However after op consultant said she had done both , was not told extent of repair as someone interuoted her when she was telling me and she never finished conversation.

The poor solet gad 12 emergencies that morning and two of us were scheduled that day fir ops.

I'm sure my repair at front is not as extensive as last time, but the back repair is starting to feel heavy as I become more mobile and I notice a bit of discomfort when I wake up in morning if I've rolled onto my left side.

I would gave thought it would make sense to do both at same time, don't like the sound of adhesion of walla if done together!

Phyl xx

• Posted

Oh very interesting Girls. I had cystocoele done 6mths ago & during the quick pre-op visit by surgeon before he headed off to theatre he informed me also that he probably wouldn't also do my Grade 1 rectocoele. I asked why not as I also didn't want to go through 2 surgeries & the long long road to recovery twice. I'm 57 & had decided to get all fixed now while I'm fit & good to go. His reply was "doing both can make things end up too tight in there"!!! But also now wish I had just said I would prefer both done & dusted.
    • Posted

It seems a strange thing to say that it could make things too tight when rectocele and cystocele repairs are performed together all the time on ladies, me included and it didn't cause me that problem.
    • Posted

Robyn,

I had hysterectomy and anterior repair 3 years ago and was sewed up really tight, took forever for swelling to go down. This time different surgeon , anterior rerepaired and posterior repair , no where near as tight thus time, and swelling seems to be going down quicker.

Phyl xx

It's amazing how everyone's experience and recovery can be so different, and yet still some corelation with some of the different stages of recovery.

• Posted

Hi Robin I also have a mild rectocele and have many issues in the bathroom, are you thinking of another surgery in the future? I'm under treatment with a physio and wishing it gets better a little...
    • Posted

I remember my Surgeon saying that he didn't think I had mentioned that I had symptoms from the rectocoele. And I thought to myself we never actually discussed them and I wasn't sure of what the symptoms are anyway. My main focus was stress incontinence and made up my mind immediately I knew I had both anterior & posterior prolapses that why wouldn't you just fix both if doing one. So I never persued any major justification for symptoms versus need for surgery. It's there, so fix it! I'm sure I've got symptoms.
    • Posted

The bulge in vagina just inside the door. Appears to push in from my left. Feel like going to toilet lots in a day & sometimes do 4/5x. Sometimes doesn't feel like I've emptied completely. Anal discomfort. Some pelvic pain.
    • Posted

Is your anterior wall where repair was done, across top from side to side inside vag? As in just in a bit from urethra opening. Does that make sense?
    • Posted

Well that's enough to warrant surgery, in my opinion and I know Urogynaecologists in my area would repair a rectocele that caused those problems so unsure why your consultant didn't. I suppose you would have to ask him the question but it seems a shame that you may have to endure another anaesthetic and post op pain. Could it have been the wording on your consent form that prevented him from repairing your rectocele? 
    • Posted

My annoyance is we never discussed rectocoele symptoms prior to surgery. For me it was a no brainier to just get on and fix both in one go. So got a shock when just before going into theatre that he suggested he possibly won't do posterior as well! I'm pretty sure my consent form was for both. Definately my application for full funding from healthcare was granted for both. Even Perinium repair was on there from memory. What popped into my head at the time was that rectocoele might be lesser of a problem once cystocoele repaired. Ignorance!! I also have a small issue with Urogynae only seeing the prolapses while I was prone. They certainly more pronounced when upright. I'm annoyed with myself. I have had enough of surgery in past 6mths as had 15x14mm nerve tumour removed from below toes and a wedge resection on big toe only 3mths after anterior repair. So had just really started to be back to almost normal self and had my wings clipped again from Jan. 19th. Had to walk on heel for 6wks. Then would you believe it, 3wks ago I stood on a handsaw and required 5 stitches in heel so had to walk on ball of foot while stitches in for 2wks! I had only just pretty much got walking normally again when I stood on saw!! So fed up. I'm one week today since foot stitches taken out and trying to get back up to 10,000 steps per day. Achieved last 2 days after building up over previous 5 days. So prospect of more pelvic repair is gutting! Sorry for my ramble. It's midnight here & I should be lights out!
    • Posted

Hi Robyn

My goodness, Have empathy for you! I would be so depressed and ready to give up by now, makes me feel that my problems are insignificant in comparison. I wish wholeheartedly that things will take a turn for the better for you .

Lots of hugs ,

Phyl xx 💖

• Posted

robyn you have certainly had a rough time and could do without all this worry and inconvenience. It sounds as though everything was in place for the rectocele to be repaired (consent, funding etc) so I find it unbelievable that your Urogynaecologist just didn't repair it there and then. I always think it's important that women should be examined lying down and standing when it comes to a prolapse because as you say yours was more pronounced when upright, so we're mine but I was examined both ways. A bit undignified but the consultant gets a much better idea. Have you another appointment with this Urogynaecologist? 
    • Posted

Awww thanks Phyl. I guess I just needed to cyberspace vent where we all going through similar crap so fully understand where we coming from. SO exciting to be able to freely sneeze and crack up laughing as hard as possible (very hilarious entertaining 2 children - 30 & 27!), and big walks - all with NO leakage. So guess I need to celebrate that. It was my 4th large nerve tumour (mortons neuroma) removed from feet. Also have big staples in MTP joints (big joint below big toes) due to osteoarthritis. I need to check eBay for new pelvic floor and new pair of feet!!
    • Posted

Robyn Can't see why they can't grow new new walls, ligaments and tendons, if it had been a male problem they would have had something better by now!

Keep your chin up, you are showing amazing resilience, and being really fit does help recovery.

Phyl xx

• Posted

I was too in the dark at outset and sort of wish I had thought to find this forum prior. Not 4wks post-op! I didn't know anybody that had the prolapses to discuss things with. I wanted to suggest him seeing if prolapses more than what his grading was for viewing probe, to what they are when upright but thought he might think I'm a nut. Then once on here for months I caught onto fact that some do check while upright as well as prone. It looks to me that anterior prolapse is still there same as before, but stress incontinence gone as mesh holding what needs support to stop that. And dear Matron I haven't plucked up courage to get another appt.
    • Posted

That should say "for viewing prone" not probe
    • Posted

Thank you Phyl & Matron for support & encouragement. Living in a 3 storey 756sq meter house sure helps with fitness!!
    • Posted

Dear Robyn, Im very sorry for you!!! Hope things get better soon!!!! Hugssss

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.