Why would rectocele not be repaired

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi ladies just wondering if anyone had a cystocele repair but the rectocele was left , I recently had an anterior repair and when I woke from surgery was told I had minimal rectocele that they left but surely it would've been better to do both at same time rather than have to go through another surgery at some point x

1 like, 62 replies

62 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had something similar, except that I had gone in expecting to have rectocele repaired with anterior if they could as well. My symptoms were very much about the rectocele with minor cystocele problems. I came around to be told the anterior had been done but not the rectocele, which was concerning.

i was told that the cystocele was much more severe than they had expected  , the rectocele was minor and that this particular surgeon ( not the consultant I had been seeing) never did both sides at once because of adhesions.

A few months on ........The anterior healed well and I saw my original consultant again who said he thought the rectocele was worse than the operating surgeon had said but did not reflect my symptoms. He did agree to operate, though, and it was him this  time. They found a severe enterocele further up, which solved the mystery, and I am now recovering from that procedure.

in the end, I (hope) I have got a resolution to my problems, even if it has been protracted. 

• Posted

Hi Mari, hope you heal well soon! I had cistocele and hysterocele surgery 5months ago and have developed a rectocele. My gyn told me that he would operate in January but I'm a bit worried. Did you have mesh op or stitches for the rectocele. How long did you have pain after op? I'm not sure it solves all my symptoms... Hugs!!!
    • Posted

hi, i was told from my dotor it wasnt fixed as i would not have benefited from a repir, im hoping it sorts itself out with pelvic floor exercises , if not i will hold out as long as i can as dont want another operation yet as my baby not even a yr old yet, my surgeon was also not teh one i was expecting , my original op was cancelled n moved to another hospital and the surgeon waas only there for that day xx
    • Posted

He did the enterocele and the rectocele , both of which were described as severe on my discharge notes, and  a perineal repair as well, that had not been specifically discussed ( though I has signed an all embracing pelvic floor repair consent.)  I am 2 weeks post op tomorrow - pain stopped about 3 days ago, but only bad for a couple of days. Is very swollen still which I think  is mostly the perineal repair. Am taking advice to be very careful and rest seriously - more so than last time. 
    • Posted

I don't  blame you at all for not wanting surgery at this time - the recovery is hard enough, let alone with a little one. Hopefully your rectocele will stay as minor for a long time.  My situation was a bit of a puzzle because examination showed less severity than I was describing - my main problem was the feeling of downward pressure, which became quite painful. It was when I was under anaesthetic that they could see the enterocele, higher up, and that the rectocele was worse than it seemed on a normal exam. I am post menopausal so things are going too be a bit weaker for me, anyway . 
    • Posted

Thanks Mary for the Info about your op as I can tell you have had "only" some days of pain... Yes rest is very important, hope you get better soon, hugs! 😘
    • Posted

Hi Helen it's not weird you don't want another op, I forgot you had a little baby. Do you find slots to do the exercises? Are you noticing improving? Big hugs my dear 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.