Will Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation be available on the NHS soon?

Posted , 26 users are following.

Hello, I am completely new to this site and this is the first time I have ever posted on a forum. About 5 months ago I awoke with severe tinnitus in my right ear. I had never suffered from tinnitus before. As I was also struggling with my balance, my GP thought it might be an acoustic neuroma, which is a benign brain tumour growing on the inner ear. MRI scans have shown this not to be the case, and doctors now think the balance problems and tinnitus were caused by prolonged emotional trauma - whatever; the tinnitus has remained constant 24/7 for 5 months now, and if anything is causing prolonged emotional trauma, then this is.

Speaking with the doctors (NHS), I have basically been informed that I will have to learn to live with it - I could not help but gain the impression that my tinnitus was not a condition which was a priority for them. After reading the British Tinnitus Association website, I came across a new treatment which is already available in the British Tinnitus Clinic in London, called Acoustic Coordinated Reset Neuromodulation. Hugely simplified, it works by targeted sound therapy aimed at disrupting abnormal nerve cell firing which may be responsible for the tinnitus. Early success rates for improving or eliminating the tinnitus are, according to the BTA, about 70%. Unfortunately the cost for this treatment is £4,500, something most people can't really afford.

When I asked the consultant neurologist about this treatment, and whether it would soon be available on the NHS, he looked at me blankly and said dismissively that he had never heard of it. This not only concerns me, but was something which at the time I found deeply upsetting, as he essentially confirmed that there would be no treatment options other than 'learning to live with it.'

Has anyone come across any NHS trials / know anything about this treatment option on the NHS? Although I'm not suicidal, the tinnitus has had a severely disruptive effect on my life, with lack of sleep being the number one issue, accompanied by frustration, anger and upset. To all my fellow tinnitus sufferers, you have my complete sympathy and understanding. Perhaps we could start a campaign to highlight awareness of this debilitating condition, and push for this new treatment to be made available on the NHS as a matter of urgency?

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Sorry, Stevie, I've just visited the petition page. I think we need more research funding, but the evidence to support the effectiveness of Acoustic Neuromodulation is as far as I understand it slender. The sample tested was very small, and the results not necessarily unbiased. This is just my understanding having looked into it after my disastrous visit to The Tinnitus Clinic, not of course a professional view.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, thanks for taking the time to write. I am so sorry to hear of what happened to you, and I hope you find some relief from the tinnitus soon. The Outer Hebridies certainly sounds idyllic! I actually did something similar to change my own life 6 months ago, and now live in a small 17th century cottage in the middle of nowhere in the Dorset countryside. This, combined with changing my job to a less stressful one has helped a lot.

It is interesting (and disappointing) to hear of your negative experience with the Tinnitus Clinic. I shall certainly think twice before throwing money at them, however desperate I get.

Good luck and best wishes

Steve

• Posted

Hi Steve,

You might be interested to know the latest on the clinical trial that was conducted at Nottingham NHBRU (I took part and it made me worse - was on actual and not placebo).  I got a letter from them, the trial is effectively void after the peer review due to a few things so they are going to do another one.  The initil data from Germany wasn't robust enough to be trustworthy so this was the first qualty trial, the official statement is:

“Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation is a treatment for chronic tonal tinnitus. In 2012, The Tinnitus Clinic Ltd funded a 100 participant Randomised Controlled Double Blind Trial to establish the efficacy of this treatment under independent controlled conditions. 

The trial was undertaken at Nottingham Hearing Biomedical Research Unit and the Ear Institute at University College London and was sponsored by Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust. 

The first results of the trial were expected in September 2013. Review of the trial has, however, concluded that there have been deviations from the trial protocol and that the results cannot be regarded as scientifically robust. It is therefore with regret that all the parties have concluded that the results of the trial cannot be published with confidence. 

Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and The Tinnitus Clinic are discussing a new trial on Acoustic CR Neuromodulation which they hope will commence in the near future. NHBRU, Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust and The Tinnitus Clinic are very grateful for the time and effort of the participants of the original trial”

• Posted

Bad news indeed about the trials making your tinnitus worse. I am in a similar boat, having had much more troublesome tinnitus since my visit to the Tinnitus Clinic in Harley Street in May last year, and also, more disablingly, severe hyperacusis. I am only now, fifteen months on and a move from Oxford to the Outer Hebrides later, becoming able to deal with the hyperacusis (I've found betablockers helpful). I have been in discussion with a medical lawyer about what happened to me - I'm not interested in claiming damages, money won't help, but I would very much like to be able to direct any funds that could be extracted from the Tinnitus Clinic to proper research into tinnitus and hyperacusis, possibly under David Baguley at Addenbrookes. I would like to hear from anyone else who has suffered as a result of their "treatment" by the Tinnitus Clinic.
    • Posted

May i ask how they made the Tinnitus worse?

I was thinking of going to them and paying them for treatment.

• Posted

I described what happened to me earlier on the forum: I went to an initial assessment and the LDL done by Naziya Ghulam test left me with worse tinnitus and hyperacusis, from which I have not recovered.
    • Posted

Hi Karen.  I was on the trial at Nottingham so not actually at the clinic.

One of the things in the letter that came out was about the CE marking of the device (European safety mark).  I think that my main problem was the earphones sitting right inside my ear canal, I really didn't like them and I also felt the sounds were too harsh.  Maybe there was a design fault, they said that there was insufficient information about the proper fitting of it.

Without being too much of an anorak, the device uses sine waves, the most basic sound form.  It's difficult to make them sound bad as they are the basic building block of sound, so should reproduce fine on any equipment.  It still didn't agree with me though, they seemed jarring and were also too repetitive (only 4 tones).  I make music and play around with similar techniques using sine waves, never had the same effect using quality equipment.

I had to sign a disclaimer as part of the trial but if it comes out that they did not fully consider the safety aspects then that will become void I'm pretty sure.

I had gotton over Hyperacusis after I first got tinnitus, but the trial of the acoustic neuromodulation device also brought that back.  From beginning with hope and enthusiasm the device put me back into a darker place for a siginifcant time last year, for a time I couldn't even listen to my other half talking close to me as it hurt my ears (now there's a difficult subject to broach).

• Posted

Difficult indeed. I've been fortunate in that the problem has been confined to my left ear, so my husband can talk in my right ear without causing me a problem - he's also learnt to talk quietly, unnatural for him. But other people give me curious looks when I constantly dodge round to their left side.
    • Posted

Is the initial assesment when you first go to the Tinnitus Clinic and they put you through a few hours of tests?
    • Posted

Interesting, i went for that last year and came away no worse than when i went in.

Was it the headphone sound test that causes your condition to get worse?

• Posted

Mine was only in my right ear, thankfully it's subsided now although I do get it back here and there fleetingly.
    • Posted

Yeah i remember it.

Strange how that would make things worse but sorry to hear it did so.

Sounds like Steve had nothing but problems with Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation too.

I guess i will wait to see if the sound on my ears gets too high pitched for me to stand one day and go for it as a last resort.

Mines quite high pitched but i'm lucky enough to be able to mask it with fans / violet noise.

How hopeless this condition really makes you feel, to lose ones sanity to an invisible noise, what a world.

• Posted

Hi Karen! Can you tell me more about how beta blockers help you, or who recommended this treatment? I tried to find related articles, but according to google results, most of the beta blockers are ototoxic and they cause tinnitus...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.