Will Emergency contraceptive(levonorgestrel) Pill causes severe Leg swelling and pain?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

I am female 23 years old. I took Emergency contraceptive (levonorgestrel) No will pill 3 days back evening with empty stomach, as I involved in unprotected sex with my bf. After taking that pill, that night I had dinner as usual. 

From the next day evening till now, My left leg (below knee to feet) is suffering from SEVERE pain with much SWELLING and I cant even move my leg a bit also. 

Is that the side effect resulting from that pill? Please help how can it get cured.... & I am afraid whats happening :-( . 

I am taking aceclofenac tablets from yesterday (as I thought it may be due to some muscle strain.) Then feeling relief in pain but no change in swelling) and I am suffering from FEVER also now. I will stop taking aceclofenac, as I now started suspecting it may because of the Emergency contraceptive pill & not bcoz of muscle strain . 

Plz help what to do... 

Thanks in advance..

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would get to A&E as soon as possible in case it is deep vein thrombosis.
    • Posted

Hi Derek, Thanks for your response. what A&E means?

I'm afraid as just now I came to know that DVT is an complicated issue.

Is there really a chance to get DVT from that pill? oh my god.. Which doctor I need to consult? Ortho? Gynaec?  what tests I need to under go? it's been 5 days I took the pill and was thinking to wait for 2 more days to see if it heals itself..  Plz help derek..plz..

• Posted

Did you get the pill at a pharmacy? If so I would go back there or any other pharmacy initially and quickly for advice.

If not hospital emergency or any doctor who can easily diagnose it.

If you Google levonorgestrel or morning after pill and DVT you will find references.

Be lucky.

• Posted

Sorry you are obviously not in the UK.

A&E... accident and emergency at a hospital. If you are in America it is is E.R.

• Posted

ok.. Thank u so much..I went to the pharmacy where I got the pill, but no info useful. better I go to a doctor. Yes , I from India.. anyway thanks a lot Derek
    • Posted

Let us know how you get on. The information will be useful for others who search this site for answers.
    • Posted

I see this was posted 2plus hours ago but

IF THE MESSAGE WAS NOT CLEAR 

what you are describing is an EMERGENCY

you doctor is probably I very good person but this is something for a hospital .  This can cause a stroke, heart attack or a number of life threatening conditions.  But you must have some one else take you 

DO NOT WALK ON that leg anymore than absolutely possible.  

• Posted

Than absolutely necessary.  The only reason One might go to the doctor is if they could get you access to appropriate care quicker, than arriving a the hospital. 
    • Posted

Chances are she may not want to see her family doctor on such a sensitive matter.
  • Posted

Severe pain, fever, swelling and lack of movement sounds serious enough to consider going to the ER - at the very least call your Doctor, GP or Clinic to ask their opinion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.