Will everyone update how they are doing and how long you had symptoms

Posted , 17 users are following.

Mine started January and still struggling. Mostly neck pain due to swollen lymph nodes and a general feeling of something just not right

0 likes, 59 replies

59 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

As always it’s very encouraging to hear everyone’s story to know that we are not alone. 

I got diagnosed 4 weeks ago to the day. My symptoms were as follows:

Week 1:

Sore throat with white patches, fever 103-105, neck pain, sever chest pain (the chest pain is what made me go to the doctor and he tested for strep, flu & mono, mono came back positive, he still gave me antibiotics for the throat which cleared up in 2-3 days. Also gave me steroids for the chest pain which cleared up with in 2-3 days aswell) also couldn’t walk fast or more then a couple blocks. during this time i was sleeping up to 15 hours a day.

Week 2:

Night sweats, heat sensitivity and sweating, general malaise feeling, rapid heart rate. I had overseas visitors during this time so it was hard to rest. I pushed a bit too hard a couple times because I felt like I was better and had to listen to my body and rest. 

Week 3: 

General nausea at random times in the day, would pass with rest. If I got stressed or pushed too hard I would feel extremely ill like I would pass out or something. Again this feeling would pass if I just sit still in air conditioning. In general feel okay but taking it very easy. In laws visited from overseas this week and again was hard to rest at times.

Week 4:

General sick feeling has stuck around which is very frustrating. sometimes feel feverish but when I check I don’t actually have a fever. Appetite is a bit funny, don’t feel hungry then I get burst of intense hunger. Overall feeling better then week 1,2 & 3. 

It’s hard right not because I am moving back to Australia and have a 16 hour flight tomorrow!! So I just need to take things very easy. I have noticed that stress causes the symptoms to return. Just want to be able to make it home!!!

I have been taking every day; high dose vitamin C 3000-4000mg per day, B vitamins, Magnesium & each morning I have pedialyte for any lost electrolytes from night sweats.

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

sorry to hear you are having to deal with this virus, but good to hear you are doing better than your first couple weeks. I saw your discussion but did not reply as I have no idea what it’s like to go through this when you are working and have a family, but I sympathize with your situation and I hope you will be back on track soon. 

Absolutely stress does make recovery harder, and it is easier said than done, but keeping calm and resting when you need to is very important for a quicker recovery. I hope your flight back home goes well and take care.

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

I hope that you have a safe journey to Australia and that is doesn't take too much out of you, remember get plenty of rest after such a long flight and just take things slowly when you get there. It sounds like you are taking the right things to help yourself, and I just really hope and pray things settle for you soon and you can start to feel much better. Remember it can take a bit of time to get over this so hang in there, and be reassured that it does go away - it really does and hang in there, things will get better and you will get through this, I do believe that.

Craig

• Posted

Hi All,

I just entered my third month. I took off work for a week and rested. I can say I am now about 80% recovered. But I dont think I can work full time yet. I get tired if I try to do too much and need to rest to recover. At present I go to University 2 3 half-days a week but not very efficiency at work. I feel comfortable working from my bed :-) I try to do walking few times a day (2-3 km) in my street. I noticed that I feel better and almost 90% well on sunny and warm days. Unfortunately its winter here in Melbourne!

• Posted

Hey r20,

Glad that things have improved somewhat for you and you are feeling at 80%. This is good news, and want to reassure you that things do continue to improve over time with this thing until you reach 100% or as near as. Hang in there and trusting that God is going to get you fully well again!

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig. Hoping you are doing better with your current illness. Sending healing your way. In regards to mono, do you remember still having inflammation markers showing up in blood tests around the 11 month mark? At this stage other than the fatigue and odd body aches, the rest of those horrible symptoms seem to have gone. Just curious if (based on your experiences) if its normal to still have high inflammation. The doctors here are no help, so my ND and I are trying to nut hopefully the last of this horrible virus out ourselves. However I am able to work full time in a pretty stressful job, but still not able to really do any exercise without being punished the next couple of days. Thanks again for sharing your experiences, kind words and prayers. We all really appreciate it. 
    • Posted

Hi Sweebee,

Thanks so much for your kind words and wishes, it means a lot and I'm really grateful. Also sending healing wishes and belief your way too, and believing you are going to get through this and get fully better. 

I do empathise with the doctors being not much help, I have experienced this a lot and it is very frustrating and discouraging, as well as frightening in that you don't always feel doctors take enough time to take this virus as seriously as they should and offer the right advice, physically and emotionally. Hoping you get get some better help in this respect soon. 

My experience was that after a few weeks of feeling unwell, I had blood test which showed I had mono active, but the doctor said 'it looks like it's on the way out now and it's towards the end of the virus'. That reassured me but if only I knew what followed, similar to you almost a year of feeling horrible and struggling for improvement. My blood tests throughout that year afterwards all showed normal, even though I was still feeling unwell, so want to reassure that this is normal. In terms of inflammation markers, I think most definitely it seems logical that it would be normal that these would still be high as your body is still fighting this and doing everything to get it in check.

Still believing you're going to get better Sweebee, glad that some of the symptoms have gone and really hoping this is the start of real breakthrough and recovery. I do think it can be normal to have high inflammation levels, but of course I'm not a doctor just my own hunch and thoughts from my own knowledge of the virus. 

Thinking about you and grateful for your thoughts and prayers too - and remember you're through the worst of this, I really believe that and you won't have to go through anything as severe or harsh in the second year, praying for a year of recovery!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.