Will I ever feel like myself again?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been in perimenopause for over seven years now and it's been the most horrendous time of my life. Amongst all the horrible symptoms, the worst thing is the crippling anxiety and panic.

It doesn't seem to matter what I do - I've had so much counselling, there's just nothing left to say. I journal every day, I meditate twice a day, I do breathing exercises three times a day, progressive muscle relaxation twice a day, and not to mention the endless self-help courses and books I've worked through, but it just continues to keep coming back and getting worse and worse and worse.

The last seven years have just gone by in a blur of severe depression, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, health anxiety, OCD and rage. At this point I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for menopause.

But then I read other people say these symptoms continue after menopause, and that just leaves me feeling hopeless. Is there really no end to this, even after the menopause is over?

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You are not alone. I have been in peri for almost 9 years and have gone through almost all possible symptoms -started with migraine and hot flashes, nausea, anger, vertigo, anxiety, panic attacks at night, palpitations, insomnia to the point of crying, fatigue, spikes in BP. They will appear one at a time and phase out. I still have hot flashes though from time to time and anxiety. My insomnia disappeared and i can sleep now up to 12 hours without waking up. I asked my GP to script me with low dose propranolol, which calms me down and helps with my anxiety. No HRT as I wanted to do it naturally. I went 12 months without period and this month out of sudden I got period on the due date (proper period with tender breast, bloating etc) I am 49 and was hoping that this is the end to my suffering, but alas, now have to wait for another year without period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.