will i gain weight with venlafaxine need good advice

Posted , 40 users are following.

i have just been prescribed ven. but i am terrified of gaining weight as i have lost a lot of weight in the past i would appreciate your experiences regarding this topic thanks

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mimi,

yes 80% of what we eat or not, does control weight, but Medication also has a massive impact. Don't be so dismissive of the side effects.

venlafaxine affects different people in different ways. 

I was on it for 7 years ata very high dose and put on 20lbs without changing my diet or exercise regime.

i came off it 6 months ago and have since lost those 20lbs, again without changing my routine.

venlafaxine causes the body to "slow down", in all respects. I.e. Brain function, to stop anxiety, depression, racing thoughts etc but also bodily functions. Especially those in the stomach and digestive system. It slows EVERYTHING down, which includes your metabolism. Hence weight gain.

it can also cause severe and prolonged constipation, which doesn't help either.

i was bloated, gained weight around my stomach, felt lethargic, couldn't be bothered to do anything at all. 

But since coming off I've returned to "normal".

please don't be dismissive of the side effects of this drug. It's a fact, not a whim.

Liz

• Posted

Liz, it was not my intent to be dismissive of the side effects of this medicine. How did you do with your detox from Effexor?
  • Posted

I have been on venlafaxine just over a month, I have put on almost 2 and 1/2 stone in weight and have had mouth ulcers most of that time, I hope those side effects stop as I'm in more pain than I was before I was put on them, I take 150 mg daily

• Posted

I was put on venlafaxine a month ago. After a week I noticed and others that my anxiety was so much better. And the depression. My appetite had actually decreased so Im not gaining but actually dropping a few pounds.

But no gain.. I would say because Im feeling better with the med that helps me not gain weight because Im not sitting around depressed. But seriously I told my hubby a few days ago I feel like my appetite has decreased.

But overall this med is doing me good. But we are all different. And our bodies react different to meds.

• Posted

Hi, I first gained weight taking Paxil (not sure what it's called in the UK) then went to Effexor and gained more weight. I have chronic back pain, so exercising is difficult for me, but I don't eat much either to compensate. After tipping the scales at 200 lbs I decided it was time to come off these meds. 

Im sure everyone is different, but besides weight gain, I lost my libido, feel tired all the time. But it did help the depression. 

Good luck with your decision. 

Sue

• Posted

Is there anyone that has taken it recently or has started taking it recently that can give me some insight about the weight gain
    • Posted

Hi Pamela, I gained quite a bit of weight on this drug, approximately 30 pounds. 

I had been on Paxil before and gained 40 pounds. I went from 130 pounds before being on antidepressants to 200 pounds, which is part of the reason I've decided to stay off the meds now, and concentrate on my coping skills with yoga and meditation exercises. 

Take care, Sue

• Posted

On 150mg I gained weight. Lost weight right after lowering the dosage for 75mg. But it's not the dosage for Depression. It just doesn't make any sense to me taking an "antidepressant" that makes you chubby.

• Posted

I sure wish i had researched more about this drug vinlafaxine ER 150mg

Im gaining weight because i feel horrible every day, i dont ever want to do anything this isnt me this drug works good for my moods,but it has caused me to have such fatigue I'm just lazy i truly am merisable, memory loss , eyes dont focus sometimes How or what can I do please anyone

• Posted

Hi Donna there is a really good support group on Facebook, where people share their experiences, and have great advice on how to taper off Effexor. 

Ive been off the drug for over 3 months now, and am feeling much better. 

Although the drug drug helped me when I was depressed over 14 years ago, I wasn't depressed anymore and didn't want to spend the rest of my life on this drug. 

Search Effexor withdrawal support, to find the Facebook group. 

Lit is very important to taper slowly, to reduce the withdrawal side effects. 

I had side effects for around 10 weeks after coming off, but I tapered from 37.5 mg to coming off quite quickly. 

Take care, Sue

• Posted

No, it should not make you gain weight, it doesn't do that.  What could be making anyone gain weight are the initial results that cause some changes to sleep (including vivid dreams), some panic and mood changes that are rather alarming as you get adjusted (nonetheless, the panic subsides little by little every day anyhow).  If you are the type of person that eats out of comfort or desires food that is poor in nutrition during these stages, then* you will gain weight. 

But to say any medication causes one to gain weight requires the medication changes HOW the body metabolizes the food.  And people, Effexor does that NOT do that, so I would suggest if you are really concerned, ask the psychiatrist in detail or see a nutritionist, period.  Because Effexor should CREATE more energy in a person.  It effects dopamine AND seratonin.

The energy should come first, you may have less trouble getting out of bed, you'll notice.  It's great for my atypical depression (there are different types and this describes my type perfectly, had trouble getting out of bed, constant fatigue, weight gain in general, hard to lose, was strongly reactive to environment (noise, criticism, praise, etc etc - nerves in the brain/major depression subtype depression).

After taking Effexor, the energy eventually built up, I no longer had problems getting out of bed, slept well (vivid dreams went away, or phased out quite a bit).  Make sure you bed is set up with no obstructions in your path, maybe not even use a pillow, I find sleeping with a comfortable set up helps keep away body temp changes that might come w/Effexor, I also don't use a body pillow, etc etc.  Some people experience night terrors (I had, but they went away after maybe three weeks and weren't daily).  Also, try to help calm the mind down if you need to at night.  This works greatly, the first pose alone calms anxiety down ASAP.

The hardest thing to change, is how you feel about yourself.  You get used to thinking your self-image is poor.  I agree, losing weight is the best way (and eating correctly) to feeling generally better about yourself anyhow.  So after Effexor, I had the energy to get myself to the gym for sure and energy to get to the grocery (this improved week after week) and prepare foods that best suited my needs/requirements after cardio and strength workouts).  I have lost 12-15 pounds thus far - I'm maybe 7 months in to taking 75mg daily in the morning.  I no longer have problems sleeping, not going to sleep, not waking up, endless hopelessness has subsided, I did experience neglect and abuse by my 'guardians' so I still need a GOOD psychologist, but the drug alone has done a great job at changing my habits of not cleaning and not workout out, anxiety, etc etc. 

I realize this post is old but I felt since I ended up here, I should add my response in case of anyone else's curiosity.  My psychiatrist has explained quite a bit but I had the same concerns about depression medication, most do effect weight gain, Effexor does not.  Remember, all these drugs DO have side effects nonetheless that effect your behavior, that's all.

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

75mg doesn't make you gain weight.

1 year ago I started with 75 and didn't notice any change (not even in my mood). Doctor increased the dosage for 150 and I noticed weight gain plus constipation. I asked the doctor to lower the dosage and he did, but it feels like I am not taking any medication at all. No weight gain, but still depressed.

Another doctor said that minimum dosage of Depression is 150mg.

I will never be "happy" if I am overweight.

Suggestion: I believe this medication affects people differently so if you haven't taken it yet, you should give it a try if your doctor recommends it. Give it 4 to 6 months. If you still feel the side effects (in my case was weight gain and constipation) change your medication.

• Posted

My doc has tried many, couldnt stand side effects so ended up on mirtazapine, couldnt tolerate the higher dose aand ended up,on 7.5 which is not for depression.  I am now trying to come off and it is bad.  Halved to 3.75 but bad dreams and depressive thoughts on waking. Some say get off it and these will,go but i am afraid the depression is not under control. Taking it slowly but really not functioning normally.   So its not just effexor, other meds are doing this too. Weight gain has been awful.  Are we better without any meds? Maybe we are but how to find out? Psych just changes from one to the next, not a good outcome.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.