will i gain weight with venlafaxine need good advice

Posted , 40 users are following.

i have just been prescribed ven. but i am terrified of gaining weight as i have lost a lot of weight in the past i would appreciate your experiences regarding this topic thanks

2 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am about to be prescribed venlafaxine and am also very concerned about weight gain as this attributes to my depression.  I am interested to read about others' experiences of this drug but am also recognise that different drugs affect people differently.  Having tried, with some success, SSRI's over the years, they are not touching my depression which has got increasingly worse in the past year or so (was more manageable previous year) so my GP is going to liaise with a consultant to discuss whether this is the way forward for me.  I would be interested to know how you got on with the venlafaxine Guest. 
    • Posted

My Dr. prescribed that for me to try for the month I was waiting for Botox. I asked about weight gain as I had already put on 20 lbs. from other meds. She said well it's only a month, I know you're trying to lose weight, but yes you will gain weight. I took 1 pill and didn't like the way I felt and never took another one, it made me sick for 2 days. Dr. will just have to accept that I am not good at letting pills get in to my system to see if they work, I'm approved for Botox and that is my hope for now. I've heard nothing but good about botox for migraine and if it doesn't work then just let me have my Imitrex to treat the pain. NO MORE PREVENTION COCTAILS for this ole gal!! cheesygrin NO NO n NOPE
  • Posted

I am a chronic migrainer and just took my 1st Ven. 75mg this morning. I have always been very athletic and have been on every precribed coctail under the sun til this one causing me un appreciated weight gain. I had recently stopped taking all meds and trying to lose weight now. I am very concerned about this medication causing weight gain as I am finally beginning to see progress and this is only a month long trial as I await approval for botox injections to control migraines. How fast does weight gain seem to come on and does anyone know if it helps migraines. I am really tired of taking pills and trying all these pill coctails. My medicne cabinet looks like a pharmacy..all of which I stopped taking after at the most 11 days. I normally just take diazepam at bed time and Imitrex when I have migraine if basic over the counter mdes don't help at the onset. Recently got a recumbent bike to assist in weight loss as I have been disabled now since 2011. 
  • Posted

I am a chronic migrainer and just took my 1st Ven. 75mg this morning. I have always been very athletic and have been on every precribed coctail under the sun til this one. I had recently stopped taking all meds and trying to lose weight now. I am very concerned about this medication causing weight gain as I am finally beginning to see progress and this is only a month long trial as I await approval for botox injections to control migraines. 
  • Posted

I have gained back all the weight I lost plus 10 pounds after starting the effexor. The reasons are because I am sleep walking and sleep eating. It's very strange and I don't even know I'm doing it until I see the evidence in the mornings. So it won't make yiu gain weight bit the weird side effect like mine may.
  • Posted

Dear Patient,

Each person is different, therefore your individual results with effexor may differ from mine. That being said, My experience with it has been fantastic. I take it for anxiety purposes, but it has helped me in other areas, and pleasantly so. I'm calmer, my appetite is decreased along with much less of a desire for junk food just to comfort myself. So I've LOST WEIGHT. YAY! I also find my insomnia is greatly reduced, so may I suggest you take it at bedtime for starters. Less quick to anger and So much less concerned with petty trials and tribulations of each day. May you have all the Bennie's and no drawbacks. Salut.

• Posted

Sorry to say but yes you will. I've been on Ven for about 3 3 months and gained nearly 2 stone. I've done some research and it's a common side effect, sorry.

Thanks Neil xx

• Posted

Everyone has a different experience. I have been on 225mg modified release for 8.5 years. Last week I dropped to 150mg as my weight gain is affecting my mood. I have gained 6 stones, I keep a food diary and rarely exceed 1500 calories, I also exercise regularly. In January with my GPs help I started coming off all the medication I was prescribed as we tried to kick start my metabolism, I now take ven and antihistamines, BNF states weight gain as a common side-effect of ven. Don't get me wrong without it I probably wouldn't be here but the side effects are now creating their own problems. It's a great drug when you need out of the bottomless pit but it has seriously nasty side effects. I guess you need to ask yourself if you are prepared to gain weight to get you out of the pit or will the weight gain make the pit harder to climb out of.

• Posted

I have lost weight while being on venlafaxine. 40# is 6 months. But evryone one has different experiences so there is no guarantee that you wont gain wait. Just pay attention and notify your GP if you see steady weight increase
  • Posted

My psychiatrist said you can lose weight on any antidepressant it just takes a bit longer. Although I'm 6 stones heavier than when I started I have lost a stone in the last year. You may find that it's worth a few pounds as a price for the overallz

improvement. You could be one of the lucky ones who doesn't gain weight.

• Posted

Well, I'm going to go against the tide of opinion and say that I think Ven is a life saver. It has worked wonders for me. I do get horrible side effects but I am no longer suicidal. Having tried to take my own life I needed something and that something was ven (and Amisulpride).

Anyway, I have put on about 3 stone. Mostly I think because of increased appetite. I don't know what is down to ven and what is down to Amisulpride. Being too laid back on the meds I just let the weight pile on. I have now decided to do something about it and have lost half a stone in the last 3 weeks on a diet. If I had more willpower I would have been able to maintain my weight from the beginning but I will let myself off because I was ill.

I think those calling for Ven to be banned need to realise that this med really works wonders for some folks.

BW, BM.

• Posted

I think you're right it's not the Ven or Ami but mixed together can cause an increase in appetite.

I was on Mirt and Ven and put on 2 stone in 2 months. After seeing my psychiatrist he said it's the combination of both drugs. I've come off Mirt and stayed on Ven and already in 3 days my appetite has decreased already.

• Posted

I have been on this 37.5 1 a day for almost a year . I was prescribed for hot flashes and I was so excited within 2 weeks it worked but over time I have not been feeling well. I came here to find out if what I am feeling is due to this drug as it's only thing I take. I am stiff all the time , getting out of bed in the am and walking across the floor is sooo painful. I get the brain zaps , loss of memory and sleep in 15 min intervals all night long. After reading all this I think I better give up the drug and deal with the hot flashes ( the joke is the hot flashes are back ). Tanx all

• Posted

If you are taking the tablets and not the controlled released form then this could easily explain the brain zaps and maybe the memory problems. Coming off the lower doses of the drug is really hard and if you are taking the instant release form then you are cycling in and out of withdrawal symptoms every day. Yuck. To avoid this you'd probably have to take 37.5mg twice a day because that's the smallest tablet or alternatively try something else altogether.  I'm yet to need treatment for hot flashes, but I wouldn't touch venlafaxine for that. (It's a life saver for me with previously untreatable depression. I take 225mg, and have taken up to 375mg daily. It's a powerful medication and highly effective for some people. Coming off the lowest doses is the hardest thing to manage with respect to side-affects.)

• Posted

I am 50 years old and I take 75 mg of Effexor per day. The Effexor helps with my hot flashes immensely. However there are several things that occur during menopause that sounds exactly like what you described. Hot flashes, brain fogginess, stiff joints, moving slowly, it's not fun going through menopause?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.