Will I have an allergic reaction to a TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been advised I will need a TKR. My consultant has been putting it off due to my age, 53. However, the pain and restriction on my activities now is so debilitating and depressing that I really need to push for it. 

But, apart from the usual qualms about surgery, worse pain ect, I am very concerned that the implant is made from nickel and cobolt. I have had NHS test patch tests done which show I have severe skin allergies to these metals and others. My consultant said it'll be no problem and any evidence of allergic reaction to implant surgery is anecdotal so not to be trusted. 

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had implant surgery and is allergic to one or both of these metals to see whether it caused a problem. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I’m 46 and had a left tkr and patella on 12th December.  I’m seeing my surgeon in two weeks to schedule the right tkr.  My prosthesis is titanium and I didn’t have any allergy tests so assume all ok. Recovery has been great - 4 weeks on and I’m clocking up 10,000 steps a day, back at work, driving and looking forward to the next one so I can get my life back. Good luck 
    • Posted

WOW i get really scared when i read things like this I had my TKR and Patella done in the 11-12-17.

I have really been strict and focused with my exercises but I am in so much pain still and keep feeling like the knee will dislocate and i’m still using 2 crutches does this mean there is something wrong, sometimes it’s so tick hard and stiff i feel like it is twice as heavy.

Also unbearable pain in my hip and thigh, even sore to th touch.And cannot lay with my leg flat and outstretched because of accute pain.The  back if my knee always caused me the most discomfort and distress and i feel this pain and the issue has not been rectified despite having the surgery 😩😢

still only sleeping 1-2 Hours and very worried and tearful.

I know everyone is different 

• Posted

Hi. That’s very interesting. Are you in the uk? I was told by my consultant that titanium implants were rarely done and only on older patients as they were not as stable. However, I heard elsewhere this was not the case. Very confusing and just thinking maybe he doesn’t want to use one or know enough about them. Do you mind telling me where you had yours done and, most importantly, was it on the NHS? I don’t have private insurance. 
    • Posted

Don't let one persons story make you feel like you are in trouble. I've been activally involved with tkr recipients for the last 15 years and my therapist has as doctorate. He nor I have ever heard of a recovery like loulou describes. There are many more at the recovery with difficulties than those he describes. Just be yourself and keep plugging along. Recovery isn't lineal, its up one day, down the next and Some days there isn't a change. I've always said that Frieda and families can be great allies but they can also be huge pains in the butt. When they start telling you about someone's fried who had a 3rd cousin who was friends with the guy next door who knew simeone that was trying for a marathon 2 weeks after surgery, just smile and say that's nice but don't let it mess up your psychic. Slow and steady. Keep working but don't beat up on yourself. You will heal as your body allows.

• Posted

Hi I've pain my groin/hip but working through it with stretches as ice been told it's the nerves they had to cut playing hell AND pain in my big toe so bad thought it was broken Any way 6 weeks post TKR I had the other leg done 12 months ago this one had ups and downs but defo sleeping better this time and can even turn iver and lie on my side this time so as they say every leg operation is different so keep going if will be soon over xxx

• Posted

Hi Julie, I’m really sorry if my post upset you. That was never my intention - I just wanted to pass on my personal experience of tkr. Hope things improve for you soon. Louise 
    • Posted

Hi, 

My prosthesis is a cementless titanium triathlon which was used because of my age, good fitness levels and the fact that I will need at least one revision maybe more. 

I had my operation done at the BMI Lincoln UK as an NHS patient and I cannot fault it from start to finish hence I am lining up the next one. 

I had bone on bone both knees due to doing lots of high impact sports when I was younger and basically wearing them out!? Who knew exercise could be so flipping bad for us! Good luck

• Posted

Hi, sorry you find my recovery hard to believe. I can only speak from my personal experience and am far too old and disinterested to bother about making up stories.  I understand that everyone has a different recovery but that doesn’t make the positive ones any less valid than the difficult ones. 

Good luck to all is my motto!

• Posted

I totally get what your saying, I turned to this site for encouragement ,empathy  and to listen to people with similarities,.

I have read a couple of stories and i’ve just sat and cried. how can these people be returning to work and doing so much ,each  day I prey that there will be some kind of normality  some days i feel i’ve even taken steps backward.

I am trying to stay positive and believe that it will improve,but there is this niggling feeling that something isn’t right.

My husband has told me to stop coming in to the forum because it is making me feel more anxious,but I need to know i’m not alone.

Thank you fir your encouraging words

• Posted

Hi your post did not upset me,I have concerns that there is something wrong  after my surgery.,and after reading your story got scared,but also very surprised at your recovery.

I hope your good progress continues but i’m sure you are a minority judging by others stories.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi I too had my replacement done on 12 Dec. Feeling great I do have  a nickel allergy and had a special prosthetic ordered to cater for this. I’m 43 and am going back to work in two weeks. Can’t wait life is good! Good luck with yours!!! 
    • Posted

Hi Tina,

Great to hear someone else is having a positive recovery! I was beginning to think I was going crazy and everything was about to go horribly wrong!!

You are right, life is good and I can’t wait to have my right knee done so I can continue enjoying it! I hope everything continues to go well for you and good luck with work!! Enjoy!

• Posted

I have no reason to think you are making any statements other than the ones you made. My only history is that I've never personally ran into anyone in rehab, etc that had such a remarkable experience and that others shouldn't feel intimidated if they aren't fortunate enough to be close to you. This forum is made up of a lot of interesting folks with a myriad of experiences, most concerned about their recovery. People who have text book recoveries either aren't on here to begin with or don't stick around very long as they wish to get on with their lives. I congratulate you on your fantastic recovery but wouldn't want anyone to set you up as an average patient, its just to demoralizing to those having issues. Again, I wish I had been as fortunate as you.

• Posted

Hi. 

Good to hear that you're in the UK and also that you have had such a positive outcome. I'm in Worcestershire where the NHS is currently cancelling all hip and knee ops to save money. The consultants I have seen have been very dismissive about my concerns. My GP though is happy to refer me out of the area if I do my own research to find a more sympathetic consultant who would use titanium. Thing is, the consultant could be correct and nickel and cobalt would cause no problem. But if they are wrong it's me who would have to live with the resulting mess. Also, I think a major part of recovery is positive thinking, and having these extra worries doesn't make me feel positive at all! 

Thank you. You have given me hope! 

• Posted

Hi Tina

Great to read about your recovery.  Are you also in the UK and an NHS patient? 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

Yes I’m also in the UK  and an NHS patient but managed to go through choose and book and have the operation done privately. 

Prior to my TKR I had 4 lots of open surgery on my leg trying to preserve my knee. This spanned over 3 years resulting in misery and pain for the whole time. I had to get my head on the right way for this operation and Tell myself that this was the last one and I was going to lead a normal life following the operation. Please don’t think that this has been totally plain sailing the pain at times has sent me crazy, pacing the floor through the night etc. But I can honestly say I am worlds away from where I was six months ago. 

The last thing I wanted to do was make other people feel horrible about their own experiences. I just wanted to put a positive spin on what’s been 3 years of pain, misery and leather hands from crutches! 😊

• Posted

Loulou, I am Solihull and have had titanium implant due to allergies. My doctor used choose and book always worth a try!! Fingers crossed for you! X
    • Posted

I'm being retested for allergic reactions in Solihull next month so sounds like you're pretty close to me.  Would you be able to forward me the name of your consultant? By private email if you would prefer. It would save me a lot of leg work!  I really appreciate yours and all the other comments I've received.  Being pre-op I  think its important to hear of all surgical outcomes, good and bad. I want to manage my expectations, but also not be too surprised if things don't go to plan. 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,

It sounds like you are caught up in a political nightmare! The only criteria for our area is that you must not smoke and your BMI must be lower than 35. I think these are reasonable and I have definitely found that doing prehab and being ‘fit for surgery’ has helped my recovery. 

I used choose and book and was offered five hospitals in the area - two nhs, three private. It was really quick - I found out I needed both tkr in July, saw a consultant 2nd September and he scheduled me for surgery on 24th October!! I changed it to 12th December to fit around work. I chose the BMI Lincoln because a client of mine had both tkr there and spoke very highly of them. 

I’m on this forum to provide a balanced view of this surgery and the recovery. Don’t get me wrong - it is brutal but four weeks and three days on and I wouldn’t go back to bone on bone pain for a lottery win! Having the tkr was the right choice for me and I will be scheduling in the right tkr two weeks today when I see my consultant.

Good luck and if you ahve any questions, don’t hesitate to ask! 

Louise 

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

If you send me you email address I will pin get over all the details. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.