Will I have an allergic reaction to a TKR

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been advised I will need a TKR. My consultant has been putting it off due to my age, 53. However, the pain and restriction on my activities now is so debilitating and depressing that I really need to push for it. 

But, apart from the usual qualms about surgery, worse pain ect, I am very concerned that the implant is made from nickel and cobolt. I have had NHS test patch tests done which show I have severe skin allergies to these metals and others. My consultant said it'll be no problem and any evidence of allergic reaction to implant surgery is anecdotal so not to be trusted. 

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has had implant surgery and is allergic to one or both of these metals to see whether it caused a problem. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My TKR was titanium as I had it done at an early age and so it had to last longer. I didn’t have a patch test to see if I would be allergic before it was implanted and have never heard of that before. You do need to discuss the allergy with your surgeon and he may use titanium instead.

I have now now found out that my right TKR isfailing after just 13years!

• Posted

Thanks Sharon. 

Sorry to hear your TKR is failing now though and wish you well for a future replacement.  

Are you in the UK and an NHS patient? 

• Posted

There has been a lot of discussion on the site concerning allergic reactions to metal. There are cases, and I per s finally know 2, of problems with hip replacement and the metal. Apparently the hip situation is very much different than the knee, even using the same metal. I haven't heard or seen any comments on here that indicate issues with knee replacement. Its interesting that you had the test because one individual in the UK said her hospital said there wasn't a reliable test and wouldn't do anything. I don't recall anyone in the US talking about testing. I suppose your surgeon is locked into one prosthesis and won't change. Personally, I've had 3 prosthesis in the same knee, 2 by one company and 1 by another and even thought they were different materials, I haven't had any concerns.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your reply. 

Youre right about my consultant, and I don't blame him for not wanting to operate with something  he is not familiar with. I wish I could be confident that nickel and cobalt won't cause problems. Funny thing is, I have arthritis in my big toe and will soon also need a joint implant there, but when I mentioned allergies to that surgeon, he immediately said they had ceramic implants for patients with metal allergies!  

• Posted

Skin allergies and internal allergies are different.  You can have a skin reaction and zero internal reaction.  I am allergic to almost everything that is metal and pills.  I just turned 56 had mine done 5 weeks ago.  There isn't any allergic reaction.  I am doing better, better than some, worse than others.  My knee on both sides hurt when I walk so I still limp.  I suspect that will go away.  I have 115 degree bend and 0 at straight.  I use a walker now, drive, and can get a total circle on my stationary bike.  So I am coming along just fine.  I would go ahead and do it Susan and then stick to writing in here.  When I had questions, concerns, etc., I came here and felt better.

• Posted

Thanks for telling me about your experience. I was hoping to hear from those with allergies that had not had a reaction to their implant in case that's what I have to go with in the end. The bend in your leg  sounds really good. I dream of riding a bike again as mine doesn't go past 90 now:-)

Im being retested next month for various metals and materials. I may find that I'm allergic to titanium too, but I have had an extreme reaction to nickel and cobalt in past tests so I would like to avoid it if possible.  

I certainly will post updates of my progress, or lack of it. 

Thanks again. 

• Posted

Suzanne I do have metal in me, I have a metal plate in my foot and a metal toe joint.  I am, like you allergic to most all metal; that is why I responded.   I am allergic but for some reason inside my body doesn't seem to mind it.  

I do wish you the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.