Will it ever end?

Posted , 77 users are following.

sad rolleyes

I am 37 years old and about four and a half weeks ago I began experiencing serious dizziness. I knew that this was not normal by any means yet I was not falling over or vomiting. I figured that it was just from me being stressed out or something. A day or two later I realized that it was not going away. The dizziness began increasing especially after a cigarette and a cup of coffee lol. My blood pressure is normal and to my knowledge I do not have any serious illnesses. Yeah yeah I know that its not good for me. However, every time that I would look left and right my head began to spin and ultimately I would have to retire to my couch for the whole day. Luckily I was on vacation during the worse of this. I went to the regular doctors office and was told that I may have a sinus infection yet I showed absolutely no signs of one what so ever. The doc prescribed me Prednisone and told me that if there was any fluid in my sinuses that it will clear them up. That stuff is straight nasty and it caused rapid heartbeat and sleep deprivation for me personally. Yuk! I took the stuff and let it run its course yet it did nothing for me. I went back and saw a different doc and was diagnosed with vertigo. She told me that I probably had a middle ear infection, prescribed me some meclizine and a nasal spray, then sent me on my way. Funny thing about all of this is I have 0 ear pain, no sinus issue that I am aware of, and no wax issue. I took the meclizine and it would make me drowsy but it did seem to work a little. The nasal spray just caused anxiety for me so I stopped taking both. The docs gave me a referral to an ENT. Before I visited the ENT, I decided to go see an eye doctor. I wanted to do this as a process of elimination. I started noticing at work behind the computer or when I was reading books, cell phone, or whatever that I was getting dizzy so this is something that was brought up to the eye doc. Long story short I was sent away by the eye doctor and was told that I have perfect vision. My next step was the ENT. I showed up to the ENT about two and a half weeks after it started and that morning I was feeling better. The ENT tested me for possible vertigo and my symptoms were gone. She said that she thinks I have Labyrinthitis. However she did give me a referral to take an MRI and have bloodwork done. She never mentioned whether I should continue with the meds or not. I just finished the MRI and bloodwork and currently awaiting the results. I am on week four and a half right now. I tried olive oil and peroxcide in my ears and exercises but to no avail. I will say though that most of the vertigo from where I look left and right has left yet I am dizzy. I will sit in certain positions or lie down in certain positions and I get dizzy. when I make a turn in my car or come to a sudden stop I get dizzy. When I read or look at my cell phone for more then 20 seconds I get dizzy. I wake up and get out of bed I am dizzy. The worse of this occurs between 8am til about 2:30-3:00 pm everyday almost. The nights seem to provide much relief. this is really cramping my social life along with my job. My questions to everyone are as follows: Has this happened to any of you out there? If so what did you do? Although I am awaiting test results, if they come back negative for everything then what would be my next step and what is causing this excess dizziness? Help anyone!!!!!!!

4 likes, 140 replies

140 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi magnets

Hope you find an answer soon! 

• Posted

Sorry to hear about ur condition. Did u get an MRI? This condition sucks for everyone unfortunately. What makes this all worse is the fact that these doctors have no idea
    • Posted

I've only seen GP so far, just waiting for ENT appointment.
    • Posted

They will most likely refer u to take an MRI just to clear of tumors and such.
  • Posted

hello magnets and everyone else.

It appears you and I are medical twins.  I am stateside, 37, quit drinking alcohol about 6 years ago and am experiencing seemingly exactly what you are....except I have yet to give up that cappucino first thing in the morning because we shouldnt have to smile

I was curious as to your current condition and was wondering if you had any forward progress.  My physician and I have been trying to figure this out as well.  No major issues from any test however, we have figured that there must be something really going on outside of bppv.  Something at the base of my neck (as it feels is increasing the pressure behind my ear canals and effecting how my otolith crystals are transferring data to my brain causing the room to spin... battery dying oh no

• Posted

Okay I have now switched to my iPhone to add to the previously started message that was ended by my battery life of my Mac.  

I saw one of the posts that eightof8 had about c5/c6 slight displacement and was curious as to if you have any neck tension or pressure you feel behind your ears or down your back of your neck in the muscles and ligaments connecting to the area behind your ears?  

Hope all is well.

Robert

• Posted

Robert,

I am stateside also. Quit drinking about 6 and a half years ago and had all the tests done as well. My muscles are always tense even knots around the neck so maybe that has sometging to do with it. I just keep pushing through each day and some are better then others. The mornings are mostly a bit tough but get better as the brain compensates throughout the day. I find that exercise like golf eliminates it almost completely for the day and sometimes through most of the next. I think exercise may be the key factor. I too will not give up my coffee everyday for I will go nuts haha. I just deal

• Posted

My muscles are always tense as well.  I am getting the same positive results with walking, running, and volleyball, and the scientist in me had to find out... Lethargy and resting for long periods tends to make it worse.  Thanks for the reply and input, every bit helps.  
    • Posted

No sweat and I totally agree with u about the exercise and lack of. There is a Facebook page for labyrinthitus that I am on and it's good stuff. U should check it out
    • Posted

Is that the labyrinthitus support group FB site?  I just looked it up and am on that one now, thanks!
  • Posted

It may be useful to know that cell phones have been implicated in vertigo. According to the executive summary on cell phones by the Environmental Working Group (US) "Migraines and vertigo: A study of 420,095 Danish adults showed that long-term cell phone users were 10 to 20 percent more likely to be hospitalized for migraines and vertigo than people who took up cell phones more recently. (Schuz 2009)." I don't know if this is related to anyone's symptoms described here, but it is important to know about regardless. You can find the full executive summary here: http://www.ewg.org/cellphoneradiation/executivesummary. It would seem that if you develop some form of mild or not-so-mild injury from cellular radiation that you would also then be more sensitive to all forms of emf and wireless technologies, including wifi. Best to limit exposure. 
  • Posted

I am so happy to have found this conversation. I am having the Exact issues and the doctor has prescribed me sinus meds and valium for the vertigo / dizziness and foggyness I have every day for the past few weeks. They were off and on but now they are every day I wake up. I have two little kids and can't lay in bed all day. Just gave up diet coke in hopes that it will help. Have you found any peace with your symptoms? I am desperate!!
    • Posted

erinm has the valium helped at all? I'm thinking of trying it as well. I started migraine preventative about 2 weeks ago but it hasn't helped yet.
    • Posted

I dont take the valium on a regular basis but when I feel my vertigo gets really strong and an anxiety attack is on it's way, I will. It is only 2mg and it doesnt wipe me out. Doctor said Vertigo will cause Anxiety Attacks so this helps both.

My symptoms are getting better right now but I can't write it off yet since it is so unpredictable.

• Posted

I had symptoms of dizziness, loss of balance, numbness in feet and hands. Finally realised that it was a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I'm now taking an iron syrup with Vitamin b12 and folic acid. Also taking a vitamin supplement containing methylcobalamin 1500mcg. Feeling much better in 1 day. Also I reduced the antacids I was taking as this hinders absorption of Vitamin B12

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.