Will it ever end?

Posted , 77 users are following.

sad rolleyes

I am 37 years old and about four and a half weeks ago I began experiencing serious dizziness. I knew that this was not normal by any means yet I was not falling over or vomiting. I figured that it was just from me being stressed out or something. A day or two later I realized that it was not going away. The dizziness began increasing especially after a cigarette and a cup of coffee lol. My blood pressure is normal and to my knowledge I do not have any serious illnesses. Yeah yeah I know that its not good for me. However, every time that I would look left and right my head began to spin and ultimately I would have to retire to my couch for the whole day. Luckily I was on vacation during the worse of this. I went to the regular doctors office and was told that I may have a sinus infection yet I showed absolutely no signs of one what so ever. The doc prescribed me Prednisone and told me that if there was any fluid in my sinuses that it will clear them up. That stuff is straight nasty and it caused rapid heartbeat and sleep deprivation for me personally. Yuk! I took the stuff and let it run its course yet it did nothing for me. I went back and saw a different doc and was diagnosed with vertigo. She told me that I probably had a middle ear infection, prescribed me some meclizine and a nasal spray, then sent me on my way. Funny thing about all of this is I have 0 ear pain, no sinus issue that I am aware of, and no wax issue. I took the meclizine and it would make me drowsy but it did seem to work a little. The nasal spray just caused anxiety for me so I stopped taking both. The docs gave me a referral to an ENT. Before I visited the ENT, I decided to go see an eye doctor. I wanted to do this as a process of elimination. I started noticing at work behind the computer or when I was reading books, cell phone, or whatever that I was getting dizzy so this is something that was brought up to the eye doc. Long story short I was sent away by the eye doctor and was told that I have perfect vision. My next step was the ENT. I showed up to the ENT about two and a half weeks after it started and that morning I was feeling better. The ENT tested me for possible vertigo and my symptoms were gone. She said that she thinks I have Labyrinthitis. However she did give me a referral to take an MRI and have bloodwork done. She never mentioned whether I should continue with the meds or not. I just finished the MRI and bloodwork and currently awaiting the results. I am on week four and a half right now. I tried olive oil and peroxcide in my ears and exercises but to no avail. I will say though that most of the vertigo from where I look left and right has left yet I am dizzy. I will sit in certain positions or lie down in certain positions and I get dizzy. when I make a turn in my car or come to a sudden stop I get dizzy. When I read or look at my cell phone for more then 20 seconds I get dizzy. I wake up and get out of bed I am dizzy. The worse of this occurs between 8am til about 2:30-3:00 pm everyday almost. The nights seem to provide much relief. this is really cramping my social life along with my job. My questions to everyone are as follows: Has this happened to any of you out there? If so what did you do? Although I am awaiting test results, if they come back negative for everything then what would be my next step and what is causing this excess dizziness? Help anyone!!!!!!!

4 likes, 140 replies

140 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Also not sure if it is quitting caffeinne or not but I am exhausted all the time. Has anyone had problems with energy level with vertigo?
  • Posted

This sounds alot like what I've been experiencing for about 5 weeks now. I'm dizzy and off balance for the first 5 or 6 hours every day and then it gets better although never really goes away completely. Same kind of thing with my eyes too. Are you still experiencing the same symptoms? Has anything helped?
    • Posted

Yes VRT exercises twice a day helps. They will make u feel like crap at first but it gets better. Also exercising in general works wonders. I am an avid golfer! Any chance that I get I am on the course. Because of this constant exercise I feel much better on a daily. Sometimes in the morning I will still feel off but it seems to disappear faster now. It is not perfect but much better then where I was before. I think it is a matter of time for your eyes and brain to go through compensation. Repetition! Weather seems to play a factor with this I feel as well. May be the humidity or pressure I don't know. Too much caffeine and cigs will trigger it. Also Facebook has labyrinthitus  support sites that you can join. People with all kinds of middle ear issues are on that sight including myself
    • Posted

As with what magnet said, I find that excercise helps.  Since my symptoms lately have been presenting like classic BPPV  I've been doing the epley, Appiani, and semont maneuvers and they seem to be helpful, there is some degree re-occurrence on a daily basis but it's not as dehabilitating for me anymore.  I've also been stretching my back and neck which bring on vertigo spells at first, but no longer.  Oh yes... One more, I've been actively seeking out and destroying (lol) all the knots in my neck through the base of my skull to increase blood flow and general circulation to my inner ear hoping that my otolith crystals stay attached from the improved circulation.  The blood flow theory came about when I had not drank coffee for a week and had vertigo spells when in the warm weather.  In an effort to regain my morning coffee that I love, I have been working on increasing the rest of my health mainly blood flow and circulation with garlic and fish oil.   Usually I tend to be more scientific with things and try one thing at a time however with the condition getting to a point of debilitating my life I decided to use the shotgun effect and throw everything I have at it (besides medication which makes me feel worse) which has been working fantastically
    • Posted

Yep gotta have that coffee! I am in total agreeance with you on that one. I have been working on getting knots out of my neck as well. Had a girl give me a massage last week and she said wow you have a lot in your neck. She helped to release them. It felt great! Now if I could only get my own personal masseuse lol
    • Posted

Ok thanks. I saw an ENT and neurologist and they think it's not a middle ear issue but a central nervous system issue. I started migraine preventative meds about 2 weeks ago but nothing yet.
    • Posted

Coffee can trigger an espoide of vertigo because it constricts the blood vesselsl which will throw off your balance but usally the underlining issuse for BPPV is in the middle ear. Tenison could also be tigger vertigo if you have nerves pressing where they shouldn't. Hopefully removing the knots will also improve your overall health. And even if they doesn't help with the vertigo, who doesn't enough a good rub! If the Epley and semont are working for you that's a good because its one of the only forum of relief when you have an espoide, even though it can make it worse for a little while afterwards. Yours keeps coming back like my friend. She has chronic form of BPPV and didn't find relief till she started using a specail vertigo pillow. It's worked wonders for her and she swears by it.   

http://www.livestrong.com/article/532339-caffeine-aggravate-vertigo/

• Posted

I am so glad i found this forum!!!!!

I thought i was losing my mind.  Here is my husbands quick story:

Quick background.

My husband is 32 years old.  He has been working in the TV industry for 12 years now as a camera-operator, which means he stands on his feet the whole day (Which is 12 hours).

His stress levels were VERY high the past 2 years and his sleeping routine, well, sucks (±4 hours).

The Problem.

My husband was playing racquet ball 6 weeks back and as he stretched up to serve he had a sudden attack of Vertigo, Dizziness( low sugar feeling) and Hazy vision (as if under water with eyes open)

We went to our local MD 2 days after this and explained all of this.  He then gave my husband Seasick meds & Cortisone which did not work.

After about 4 days the Vertigo and Dizziness was gone, but the Hazy vision persists with headaches that lasted about 3 days and also went away, BUT NOT THE HAZY VISION.

Then the following was done:

·         Full Bloodwork

All was normal levels, accept cholesterol, 5.8.

·         Optomologist

20/20 vision

She took a photo of the eye where she saw blood spots (not sure what this photo is called though)

No pressure behind eyes

·         Neurologist

Went for an MRI scan of head and C vertebrae and all is clean

·         Schedule 4 Viral meds

Made the symptoms worse

·         Physio Therapist

He has A LOT of tension in his neck and shoulders

Today we were at the Opthamologist. NOTHING!

After about 5½ weeks the Hazy vision was the only setback, BUT the past few days the Dizziness has returned.

With all of these symptoms, my husband has been very negative and almost in a depressed state.

Where can we start.. what do we do...

• Posted

Try ibuprofen 400 mg stop caffeine, nicotine and reduce salt intake. Ibuprofen helps me with sudden attacks usually takes about 30 min to kick in but then I feel wonderful like It never happened and a normal person again!
  • Posted

I'm so happy to have found this thread.

I developed vertigo 3 weeks ago, woke up in the middle of the night with the spins, and developed dizziness and a migraine that morning. Migraine went away, vertigo went away, dizziness remains. It is almost exactly has you have described, worse in the morning, seems worse after morning coffee (with or without breakfast), and better by the end of the afternoon, but not always.

Regular doc prescribed Meclizine, which helps when I take it at bedtime, but I would rather get to the bottom of the issue than mask it with meds.

Some days are better than others.

I've had previous bouts of vertigo, but this is different. It's this weird, dizzy feeling like my head is bobbing slightly above my body, and I can't keep my balance without incredible focus.

My ENT ruled out BPPV last week after a test and I'll have a series of more tests done next week. I have little hope they'll be able to figure out the problem, but I'm thrilled to have found you all. : )

• Posted

Just completed vestibular testing today and failed the Caloric test, which is where they pour water into your ear to induce dizziness. First they tested hot water and next cool water. I failed both temperature tests with one ear.

The technician told me I had permanent damage to my inner ear on that side, which has been throwing off my balance.

I will next begin vestibular training so my good ear can compensate for the bad one.

What I learned was that one should always see an ENT with any vertigo issues, even the first instance of vertigo, in case it can prevent permanent damage. I wish I had known this years ago. : (

• Posted

I had symptoms of dizziness, loss of balance, numbness in feet and hands. Finally realised that it was a Vitamin B12 deficiency. I'm now taking an iron syrup with Vitamin b12 and folic acid. Also taking a vitamin supplement containing methylcobalamin 1500mcg. Feeling much better in 1 day. Also I reduced the antacids I was taking as this hinders absorption of Vitamin B12
  • Posted

I can relate! Having awful head pressure everyday!! It all started back 2 months ago while under toxic stress. First symptons were dizziness & feeling faint, Then came the anxiety with heart racing & extreme head pressure!! I was stressing over quitting tobacco & quit for 3 weeks & didn't help at all. Cut back on caffeine. Down to one cup of decaf coffee per day. My symptons got worse, so back to smoking a few a day. My doctor took blood, EKG, coratid doppler test on neck to check for blockages. Tests came back normal? Doc referred me to neurologist & he said everything looked good??? Suggested I see a psychologist?? I don't need a psy doc! I need relief from this awful head pressure!! I haven't been able to work because of this pain. Don't know what to do, but pray for healing!!!
  • Posted

Just posted my own discussion and as a newbie I noticed that these replies are months old, was curious to know how you all are now?

I'm in my 7th week of labyrinthtis waiting on a referral and I'm just beside myself over how upsetting and disruptive this is on a daily/hourly basis!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.