will my heart stop? panicking again :(

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI all,

i suffer from anxiety and have done for some time..

I also suffer from palpitations, ectopic beats and dizzyness.

Every ECG ive had has been normal (heart rate a little high) Ive just finished a 6 day holter monitor and typically i didnt have an ectopic or palpitations BUT over the last few days there back sad

Will my heart just stop? can it just stop? im so scaredc sad

i do have chest pains but i havce tiezties syndrom and always have chest pains.

I have flutters in my throat that makes me want to cough.

please help....am i going to die ???

4 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have health anxiety.  It can be treated like any of the anxiety disorders.  You say you have suffered from anxiety for some time.  I would have thought the treatment for that would treat the health anxiety too.  Perhaps your treatment is inadequate?  If so see your doctor.    
    • Posted

i have tried beta blockers but they made me feel awful and they didnt work.

not sure what else i can do....so scared my heart will just stop.

• Posted

Beta blockers did the same for me.   Anyway beta blockers are not the best treatment for anxiety, antidepressants are.  Ask your doctor for one of those. 

Incidentally there is someone else recently posting on this forum who has very similar problems as you do.  It might help if you look for that thread.

• Posted

Hi meljenk, stop stressing your heart won't just stop beating, your symptoms sound like typical anxiety which cannot harm you. It's just fight or flight adrenalin causing the symptoms add to that the fear of the symptoms and your in the cycle the same as all of us anxiety sufferers

Don't know what age you are or what may be causing your worries, also don't know what the syndrome is that you have been diagnosed with

As difficult as it may seem try and calm down a bit and distract yourself with a puzzle or crossword anything that's not medical

Hope you can start enjoying life soon

Let us know how your getting on

• Posted

You have health anxiety. Maybe a change in your treatment would be in order. I would speak to your doctor about it. 
  • Posted

You don't have health anxiety. You have panic disorder! You have a palpitation and you panic, you feel your heart race and you panic! You need to challenge the thoughts you're having when you feel these sensations! Your body is going in to fight or flight because you're not dealing with your symptoms rationally!

How many times have you had a palpitation and a racing heart and how many times has this killed you?.....if the answer is zero which it obviously is, the problem is in your mind and not your heart!

When you have a racing heart, challenge it! Run on the spot, do star jumps and see what happens....if you get a palpitation go and run up and down some stairs! Once you break the cycle of fear by proving to yourself that nothing bad happens as a consequence of a racing heart or a palpitation, you'll forget about them! They won't scare you any more!

• Posted

Littleannie, That was probably the best advise on here I have read yet! My councellor told me this when I went to speak to them about my anxiety. It is true and it works! XX
    • Posted

Hello. Thanks for your answer. My heart doesn't beat very fast when I get them, it's just the flutter in my throat and chest and when I feel my pulse I can feel the pause.

They scare the sh*t out of me and I'm scared of dying, I'm scared my heart will just stop.

I try and think positively and then it happens again.since coming home from work I've had about 10 ectopic right after each other. They also happen when I'm busy like walking. I'm j

• Posted

One can read the initial post in two ways.  I read it as being a long term fear of dying.  You have read it as being a fear of dying whilst in a panic attack. 
    • Posted

No, I read it as the symptom causing the panic attack which is what happens with a panic disorder. :-)
    • Posted

In that case the trigger for the attack is called "health anxiety".   
    • Posted

No, health anxiety and panic disorder are two different things. I'm trained in mental health. I can tell the difference.
    • Posted

Are you trained in mental health?

Health anxiety is the need to constantly self monitor, to check your body for signs of illness and to make frequent trips back and forth to a doctor. It's a phobia which simply results in a state of heightened anxiety.

Panic disorder is when a symptom of anxiety causes your body to release adrenaline, resulting in the trigger of the fight or flight response. The fight or flight response which is not associated with health anxiety. Panic disorder is an intense fear of a sudden catastrophe (heart stops beating, stroke, haemorrhage etc)

The triggers are two different things!

• Posted

I am not going to keep answering you, because you are obviously determined to have the last word no matter how wrong you are. 
    • Posted

Charming! There no need to be rude! It's called being scared but having the last word.

If you can't be supportive then please don't answer my questions

• Posted

I was replying to littleannie, not you.
    • Posted

Wow! All I was trying to do was help the OP and explain to you how the two conditions work. If you want an argument you're talking to the wrong person.

You keep believing you know it all my friend. It's of no consequence to me what you believe!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.