will my heart stop? panicking again :(

Posted , 11 users are following.

HI all,

i suffer from anxiety and have done for some time..

I also suffer from palpitations, ectopic beats and dizzyness.

Every ECG ive had has been normal (heart rate a little high) Ive just finished a 6 day holter monitor and typically i didnt have an ectopic or palpitations BUT over the last few days there back sad

Will my heart just stop? can it just stop? im so scaredc sad

i do have chest pains but i havce tiezties syndrom and always have chest pains.

I have flutters in my throat that makes me want to cough.

please help....am i going to die ???

4 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi i have suffered the same hi I have suffered the same for 10 years now. Palpitations come in different forms for me, raised heart rate, fluttery feelings and a paused with a thump. I have had many tests including stress tests and holters along with ECGs. They have not picked up all of the beats during the brief test times. I have had my heart scanned and the structure is fine therefore the conclusion. Is benign ectopic beats. Also known as PVCs( pre ventricular contractions ) and PACs ( pre atrial contractions). For me the anxiety / panic it cyclical I ether get a palpitation out of the blue which then kicks off the addrenalin response and causes more palps. Or I'm anxious and stressed and then get more palps. Breaking the cycle is something I have not yet mastered unfortunately. I also get palpitations when totally relaxed my resting heart rate when relaxed can be the lower 50's ikon wit drops lower when asleep. A low resting pulse rate is common with those who suffer palps. The palps are then catch up beats. The sense of a missed beat is actually not a missed beat but an extra beat in between normal beats but the extra beat is almost a half eat not pumping enough blood hence the bigger beat after as the heart compensates to push more blood around. Adrenaline is a real irritant to the palpitations and probably the worse one but Caffine, chocolate and alcohol can also cause problems as can too much sugar.

however it's not always adrenaline that causes palps and they can just occur, as I said before even whilst totally relaxed, I get then as I lie on my back and doze sometimes. Everyone has palpitations/ectopic beats but only the unlucky few such as us can feel them when they occur. Rest assured with a full heart check up he odds of anything nasty happening to you via your heart are quite possibly less than joe average who has never had the heart tests that you have had. That should give you a bit more faith. 

• Posted

We are the very unlucky ones :-( I want a heart scan but my doctor hasn't said anthem about one :-( I'm just scared of sudden cardiac arrest and that it will happen to me. Just seen on the news a healthy woman died suddenly on a fair ground of a sudden cardiac arrest, that's my biggest fear 😳😓
    • Posted

Your heart won't malfunction if there's nothing wrong with it! You have to have an underlying condition for your heart to give out!

• Posted

Did you see a cardiologist? A stress test is a good indication of how a heart performs under duress. People often get confused with heart attack and cardiac arrest they are two different things. Heart attack Is where a part of the heart is starved of oxygen and dies usually due to artery plague bracing off and clotting.

a cardiac arrest is a malfunction of the electrics basically stopping the heart.

this is also my fear. I was lucky enough to see a rally good cardio and expressed my concerns citing I was worried and did not wish to have happen to me what happened to the footballer Fabrice Muamba. I was assured that this would not happen ( he should know it was Muambas cardiologist)

as long as the structure of the heart is fine then it can take ectopics all day long with no issues. Some people get 10,000 plus per day!

my scan was an echo cardiogram and showed normal structure. However I still fret each time I have a palp. It becomes a learned behaviour the stress/panic reaction to it.

have you had an echo?

• Posted

my doctor wont give me a scan sad im waiting the results for a 6 day R-test.

im scared im going to have a cardiac arrest....just heard in the news a healthy woman in her 30's died at a fair ground, her children were at her side sad im scared this will happen and i wont see my son grow up sad can ectopics cause cardic arrest? (some websites say say some say no).

i have pain in my left arm thats work when i press it...ive had this for months....its like anmd ache that gets really painfull when i press it.

• Posted

Hi,

I understand exactly what you're going through. I went through it myself.

After suffering from Supraventricular Tachycardia (or a racing heart rate) I ended up undergoing catheter ablation to try to fix the problem. Everything seemed fine for a couple of years until I felt another sensation, a jumping in my chest that felt as if my heart was stopping then pumping really hard. It scared the hell out of me and it kept on happening. I ended up back under my cardiologist and I was lucky in that they managed to catch it on a 3-day ECG. Low and behold I was diagnosed with Premature Ventricular Contractions (also known ectopic heartbeats).

Beta Blockers are an option to control it, but having had them during my boouts of SVT and not getting on with them at all, this was not even considered. Catheter ablation is another option......if you're having thousands a day (yes apparently people get these over and over and over all day long). Again this was ruled out as I would get them sporadically. Sometimes they would happen over and over for about 10 beats but then they would stop for a while.

I spent years worrying and panicking and stressing and do you know what - it probably made the whole thing worse. I know its easier said but coming from someone who still to this day suffers with them, try not to get worked up. I have since run 6 marathons, numerous half marathons and have trekked at high-altiutude to Everest Base Camp - and I'm still here cheesygrin

A few tips I do have for you though - execise actually helps. Do more. As much as you can. It is also a stress reliever which also contriubutes. Cut down on booze and fags (if this a vice of yours) as this can mess with your chest. Cut down on caffience (my own vice if I'm honest). A stimulant is the last thing you need. Careful of too much salt. This can mess with electrolytes and cause the ectopic heart beats. And if all else fails and you seem to be getting a run of these PVCs, cough realy hard of jump up and down on the spot. I tend to find that puts your heart right back in it's normal rythem.

I hope this helps settle your nerves. I honestly do understand how you feel, I was a nervous wreck during the first couple of years I had to deal with it. Now its a mere inconvenience and sometimes I can even go months without one.

Here if you need any support.

• Posted

Hello meljenk.  I have the same exact symptoms you have, and am taking a beta blocker.  I get so worried that my heart will just stop.  This has been happening to me in the past few months and it worries me on a daily basis.  can you provide any calm words for me? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.