Will my son survive burst appendix

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im so worried, son had his appendix removed yesterday morning, only just found out like 1/2 hr. ago that the surgeon told him it had infact burst, his now on anitbiotics by drip. He is 37, All i keep reading is people die from this, is there any who dont and are ok after removal.  What can we exspect now?  Desperate mum fad and partner

Sue 

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Has he got any drains still in ?
    • Posted

Only just see this one Lisa, no he hasnt still got drains in, think they took them out to soon?  Meant to ask you  had you spent months prior to all this going to your gp who kept giving you meds and failed to diagnose appendix  about to burst!

Sue x

• Posted

I had drain in because they removed the staples. So sounds like he hasn't had an infection or anything afterwards.

I was probably off it for a week went to the doctors on the Friday to be told was sickness bug or grumbling appendix. 12 hours later I was crawling through the doors of a&e. Even in hospital think they thought I had bad period pains lol x

• Posted

Oh i say! well our son had been complaining with stomach pain for months! He still has the staples in though, maybe he will end up with another drain when they remove them then? Got more blood tests tomorrow and an xray as well though? x
    • Posted

Sure he won't need a drain I only had one cos wound kept leaking. The blood test will be to make sure there's no infection. I had a few

Ultra sounds to check the area but no x Ray's. I also had ct scan but that was just to see where the liquid was coming from. Sounds like he's on the mend anyway 👍👍

• Posted

I just had appendectomy that was suppose to be laparoscopic but became abdominal due to bladder laceration about 2 weeks ago. When the surgeons prepped me before the surgery they said that if my appendix burst or was gangrenous they would have to open me up ( abdominal surgery) get all the toxins out and then I would be in hospital 7 days after in IV antibiotics.They reassured me I would be OK if that happened. I am not a doctor but I think your son will probably be OK on the antibiotics. Wishes all goes well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.