Will Sertraline help my detachment?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on Serrtraline 50mg for four weeks now.. Still waiting for it to "kick in" but I understand this can take about two months or so.. So hanging in there for now..

I would just like to know.. I am detached from many things/people in my life, also greatly because I have lost all interest.. Will this come right with sertaline? It has alleviated some of my social anxiety.. But hoping there will be much more improvement..

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ryan,

Yes that should improve. You are getting to the point werenhopefully you will start seeing more improvement. It is slow process. As you know they say 4 to 6 weeks nut I think that is underestimated. I have been on 25mg two weeks and 50 mg will be 4 weeks today. So just about 6 weeks and I am still very up and down. Still a lot of down. Like one decent day and then a couple bad ones. I too am hoping it will still leveling out more soon and get more consistency on a day to day basis. Yesterday was a pretty good day compared to most of them I have had but then couldn't sleep hardly at all. It was like I was clock watching all night. My mind was just busy per say. Are you exercising or meditating/relaxation tapes?

• Posted

I really can't wait..Same here.. had a fantastic day or two in this 4 wk period. So 2% good and 98% not so good.

I had trouble sleeping. It was very difficult in the beginning, so I use a very... visual technique to block out all the thoughts (like visualising closing a door, blocking thoughts from entering) It works for me thusfar..

• Posted

Are you exercising or walking? I have been trying to walk morning and evening. So about 50 minutes a day. I have also been doing a mindfulness app in the evenings. Trying so hard!
    • Posted

I really can't wait..Same here.. had a fantastic day or two in this 4 wk period. So 2% good and 98% not so good.

I had trouble sleeping. It was very difficult in the beginning, so I use a very... visual technique to block out all the thoughts (like visualising closing a door, blocking thoughts from entering) It works for me thusfar..

• Posted

• Posted

I walk around the block every second day - also do some light exercises every other day..they say it helps with seratonin release..  Also remembering happy moments and direct sunlight through your eyes helps release. I used to wear sunglasses all the time - now only on long trips.

Really trying to do my bit as well..

• Posted

I am in week 6 and I still have those detached feelings. There are a lot of tv shows I used to watch and don't care for now, and friendships that seem like to much work and very little interest. My libido is gone, so no special time with the wife either. I am hoping they all coem back, but am not sure when.

• Posted

Do you have side effects I feel it's making my anxiety worse I was on 50mg for five weeks and now on 100mg why do doctors prescribe something that takes so long to kick in I to have lost all interest in everything 

• Posted

Just for interest's sake.. I did an exercise where I took the last 50 or so sertraline topics. 55% of the users were 0-25days. 40% of users were in the 0-8wk bracket and a mere 5% 12weeks and above.. Which translates to : most users are starters, or fall into the 0-8Week bracket, the rest (5%) never come back to tell us how it went. Now looking at the 5% that did come back, they all tell us that their experience is a good one.

Take note of all the users with similar responses to yours.. Most of them are under 12weeks. So I would definitely encourage you to stay on..

Side effects.. Sleeping was a problem. I am glad that is sorted out. 

Also had bouts of diarrhea, and the other beginner side effects. (dizziness, nausea and tired feelings)

On the positive side, it has alleviated some of my anxiety. My mind is not cloudy all the time anymore. My body tems is more "normal". I am just hoping for more as time passes..

• Posted

Hi Ryan, I am one of those 5%. I'm 15 weeks in and the past week has been good, although an occasional intrusive thought and "butterflies" in my stomach. It is only this past week that I have been feeling that when I start to feel anxious I am strong enough to just let it go. The past 2 days I have more anxiety than I've had in the past week but I am dealing because I know it's just a hiccup. It seems now, every week gets better in regard to how I am able to let it go and the amount of "good days." My advice to anyone that's on this med is to stick it out. If you feel that it's working some days, that means it's working but I honestly don't think that the time frame doctors give us is reasonable. I am now looking forward to my life again, enjoying family and friends and just not feeling as nervous anymore.

• Posted

Thank yuo very much for the info and hope. The waiting is very hard, but it is nice to know that it will be worth it.
    • Posted

Good info Ryan. Thanks for doing that! Not a good day for me today after a pretty good one yesterday. Very anxious and emotional today....
    • Posted

You're kindly welcome, Matthew. It takes a lot of strength and courage not to give up and we should be all so proud of ourselves that we are making it through, even on days that it doesn't feel like we are. Hang in there.

• Posted

very welcome.. Yes, most users have a marked improvement after the 12 wk period and as such don't think about hanging around in forums (my feeling)..

This weekend there is a social event.. upped my sertraline to 75mg for this, with the hopes it will help, will return to 50 mg on sunday..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.